The F&SF Treasure in the Garage
finminer
Posted 2018-05-23 2:56 PM (#17048)
Subject: The F&SF Treasure in the Garage

Regular

Yesterday I delved into a dusty, long unopened box hidden in the depths of my garage. I packed this box myself while cleaning out my late mother's house in 2011, and have kept it safe since then. My wife "encourages" me to dispose of rarely used articles, and I mostly comply, but I cannot overcome my protective hoarding instincts when it comes to this humble case. The treasure within is too valuable, too enticing, too captivating to treat like so much ancient refuse. It is an unintended bequest from my father, who passed suddenly shortly before my 22nd birthday in 1979. Born in 1923, he was a voracious reader and an early devotee of science fiction. In his youth, he read the pulps, and following his service in WWII and Korea, he invested in a subscription to the Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction.

He kept all his back issues, yet at some point over the years, the bulk of the collection disappeared (Mom? Sisters?) and only the 105 issues that I salvaged remain. However, those glue-bound, soft, pulpy paper booklets that survived run from 1955 to 1964, some of the glory years of the publication. They include stories by all the classic authors who are the gods of the sci-fi world today. Some of them are slightly damaged by silverfish, but the paper shows little sign of eating itself, there is no water damage, and they are in excellent condition for being 60 years old.

A couple of questions. I'd really like to share this trove with people, as well as document my reading of them on this site (they are available for tracking on Goodreads). What I need is input on how best to do that. Thank you for indulging me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2018-05-24 9:09 PM (#17049 - in reply to #17048)
Subject: Re: The F&SF Treasure in the Garage

Uber User

I have no suggestions, but that sounds like a cool collection, whether they have any real value or not.

I have a large pile of MAD Magazine books, and while I have held onto them for years, they're not really worth much, but they look great all together.
Top of the page Bottom of the page