open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Faith is, at one and the same time, absolutely necessary and altogether impossible." - Stanislaw Lem
- (Added by: Administrator)

2018 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2018-01-02 11:37 PM (#16638)
Subject: 2018 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

And it's back!  For the sixth year one of our most popular reading challenges has launched again.  This year's challenge is exactly the same as last year -- which everyone seemed to like.  Let's see if we can top last year's stats:

Participants: 69
Books Read: 946
Books Reviewed: 119

For my WoGF I plan to do the Voyager level of 12 books but I'm going to go half novels and half short stories.  That will help me along with the Tor.com Short Fiction RC and let me do more than the intro level 6 books.  What's your plan?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2018-01-03 11:42 AM (#16654 - in reply to #16638)
Subject: Re: 2018 Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

My random read for this challenge this year is Things We Lost in the Fire. I saw it on the new book shelf at the library. I will probably find a few more random reads like I did last year and will probably expand to 24 authors, all new to me, like I did last year. I intend to do all novels, but who knows. I bit off more challenges than I could chew last year, so I may include the short stories this year.
ScoLgo
Posted 2018-01-06 3:43 PM (#16667 - in reply to #16638)
Quote Reply

Regular

Question: Is this challenge limited to one book per new author? Or is it acceptable to read more than one book by the same author as long as the author is new to you?
Administrator
Posted 2018-01-06 8:08 PM (#16670 - in reply to #16667)
Quote Reply

Admin

ScoLgo - 2018-01-06 3:43 PM Question: Is this challenge limited to one book per new author? Or is it acceptable to read more than one book by the same author as long as the author is new to you?

Supposed to be 1 book per new to you author but I don't think anyone would object if you want to read a series by an author or even just 2 random books by an author.  My feeling is that there is room in any challenge for a little bit of "cheating" if it makes the challenge better for you and your goals.  It's your time after all so tweak it a bit as needed so long as you stay mostly within the lines  It's the spirit of the challenge that's important to me.

I also get the argument that it's supposed to be a challenge and everyone should have to follow the same rules so if you feel that way then by all means conduct your challenge that way.  Let's just keep in mind that this is supposed to be fun.

Read on!

ScoLgo
Posted 2018-01-08 12:58 PM (#16687 - in reply to #16638)
Quote Reply

Regular

Thank you for the clarification. I will likely stick to the 'one for one' format as I have done when participating in the past. Either way, this is pretty fun. Thanks again for this site and these challenges. I have picked up on a lot of great books & authors since joining here.
dalex
Posted 2018-01-11 10:25 AM (#16711 - in reply to #16638)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I haven't done the "random pick" the last few years but I decided to give it a go again. I used the list that someone (?) posted somewhere (?) with all the authors alphabetized and numbered, then chose one using random.org I ended up with Noelle Stevenson, author of Nimona. A graphic novel? Um. That is waaaaay out of my reading comfort zone! But, ok. I'll give it a try.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-20 2:36 PM (#16740 - in reply to #16638)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I'm going to read all the women I never got around to reading last year because of my writing schedule. Yes, many of them are by the same author, so don't give me too much credit here! I think doing this challenge exactly as written would be an all-encompassing effort for me, so I've got to take them where I can get them. Wouldn't miss it though!
ScoLgo
Posted 2018-07-04 12:21 AM (#17095 - in reply to #16638)
Quote Reply

Regular

Just wrapped this challenge up. Here are my 12 titles (in the order read) along with ratings...

- Six Wakes by Mur Lafferty : 4 stars
- The Girl in the Road by Monica Byrne : 3 stars
- The History of Bees by Maja Lunde : 3.5 stars
- All Systems Red by Martha Wells : 4 stars
- An Unkindness of Ghosts by Rivers Solomon : 4 stars
- Infomocracy by Malka Older : 3.5 stars
- Autonomous by Annalee Newitz : 3 stars
- Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb : 4 stars
- The Strange Case of the Alchemist's Daughter by Theodora Goss : 3 stars
- Ink and Bone by Rachel Caine : 3.5 stars
- The Power by Naomi Alderman : 3.5 stars
- War for the Oaks by Emma Bull : 2.5 stars

Average rating for 12 books comes out at 3.46 so, once again, this turned out to be a fun and successful endeavor!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)