open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: My pass had disappeared. Not that I believed for a moment that this was an accident; in fact, I had suspected for some time now that the Cosmic Command, obviously no longer able to supervise every assignment on an individual basis when there were literally trillions of matters in its charge, had switched over to a random system. The assumption would be that every document, circulating endlessly from desk to desk, must eventually hit upon the right one. A time-consuming procedure, perhaps, but one that would never fail. The Universe itself operated on the same principle. And for an institution as everlasting as the Universe certainly our Building was such an institution the speed at which these meanderings and perturbations took place was of no consequence. - Stanislaw Lem (Memoirs Found in a Bathtub)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Anybody following the world cup football
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Off TopicMessage format

valashain
Posted 2014-06-13 4:14 PM (#7936)
Subject: Anybody following the world cup football

Uber User

That is the game you actually play with your feet, not perverted rugby :P

I just watched the Dutch take apart Spain. Haven't had this much fun watching a match in ages.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-13 5:04 PM (#7937 - in reply to #7936)
Subject: RE: Anybody following the world cup football

Admin

valashain - 2014-06-13 4:14 PM That is the game you actually play with your feet, not perverted rugby :P I just watched the Dutch take apart Spain. Haven't had this much fun watching a match in ages.

I'm watching as much of this cup as I can which so far has just been the opening match with Brasil.  Ugly game that.  I had the day off today but I was out doing a daddy-daughter day with my little one so I missed the Dutch and Mexicans.  Settling in for Chile v. Australia now though.

valashain
Posted 2014-06-13 5:46 PM (#7938 - in reply to #7937)
Subject: Re: Anybody following the world cup football

Uber User

Chile vs Australia is shaping up to be an interesting match. Unfortunately I've had a long, eventful week so I think I'll go to bed now.
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-13 9:08 PM (#7939 - in reply to #7938)

Admin

The socceroos made them work for it but man were they gassed at the end.  Gave up the third goal near the end as a result and Chile, who looked like the real deal in the first 15, came away with a very flattering scoreline.  Not a bad game at all.  England v. Italy is the one to watch tomorrow!
risbom
Posted 2014-06-14 2:02 AM (#7940 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

Dutch vs Spain was great, specially goals. But the opening match...I am from Croatia so I can't be objective, and will refrain from any comments...
valashain
Posted 2014-06-14 3:45 AM (#7941 - in reply to #7940)

Uber User

Brazil's penalty was an outrage. I did think they were the stronger team but considering their status it was not a very good performance. Maybe if Croatia had pressed a bit more after that own goal they could have gotten more out of that match.
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-14 10:01 AM (#7942 - in reply to #7941)

Admin

That game was not what the Brasilians were hoping for, except for the result, and the penalty was criminal.  I hate to see something like that taint a game.  It felt like the fix was in on that call and a few others that didn't go Croatia's way.

The Croat goalie was absolutely horrid.  So bad I started to wonder was he doing it intentionally.  The two he let in where slow rolling shots from distance and he moved like a snail.  Those were stoppable in my book.

risbom
Posted 2014-06-14 11:03 AM (#7943 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

Yeah, I think this game could go both way without that penalty. And Croatian goalkeeper wasn't brilliant, that's true. And I think Brazilian third probably came after foul. And that Croatian annulled scored would probably be recognized in Premiership, for example. We will see what will happen next.
valashain
Posted 2014-06-14 3:59 PM (#7945 - in reply to #7943)

Uber User

Just watched the Uruguay vs Costa Rica game. How much of an idiot do you have to be to get sent off 30 seconds before the match ends? Surprising result though. I wonder what will happen when Costa Rica plays England. They may well progress.
valashain
Posted 2014-06-15 3:40 PM (#7947 - in reply to #7945)

Uber User

France is looking good. Of course they are in a relatively weak group so they should progress easily. Decent team though. I can see them going far.
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-16 8:43 PM (#7957 - in reply to #7947)

Admin

USA 2 - 1 Ghana

What a game!  I thought we might have to settle for the point but we stuck to it and came through.  I can't believe we weathered so much pressure for so long.  I knew an equalizer was going to come but I started to hope around the 80th that we might just make it... then the inevitable Ghana goal and personal despair.  But it was not to last long.  My boys brought me back from the brink to the heights of jubilation.  I am spent!

We'll have to do much better against a wounded pride Portugal in game 2.  I actually feel better about that game than I did about Ghana and I don't think a win is out of the question with the red card and injuries Portugal has.  Of course we have some injury concerns too with Jozy out.  Still I'm hopeful.  My other hope is that Germany will rest some players after they destroy Ghana and we might pip a draw in game 3.

Go USA!

valashain
Posted 2014-06-17 1:10 PM (#7964 - in reply to #7957)

Uber User

Missed that one I'm afraid, it was a bit too late my time.

Just watched Belguim edge past Algeria. Not a very good match. The Belgians will have to do better if they want to live up to the expectations. They seem to think they have a team that could rival the 1986 selection.
risbom
Posted 2014-06-17 4:57 PM (#7965 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

USA was pleasant surprise. Portugal is heavily wounded after Germany, so everything is possible.
Belgians disappointed little bit, I agree.
Brazil - Mexico was good fight, but I was expecting more from Brazil. Last game in this group, Croatia - Mexico will be heavy one.
valashain
Posted 2014-06-18 12:58 PM (#7972 - in reply to #7965)

Uber User

Just saw Australia vs the Netherlands. Them Ozzies is tough. Not a good match but it is six point for the Dutch.
risbom
Posted 2014-06-18 4:09 PM (#7973 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

I watched Spain vs Chile. Chile was great, I really like them. Spain, is goinig home.
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-18 4:18 PM (#7974 - in reply to #7973)

Admin

Mexico v. Brasil was a very good match especially for a 0-0 draw.  Ochoa was impressive.  Mexico seems to have put their troubles behind them.

I thought the Australia v. Netherlands game was great!  Lots of back and forth and not the blowout that was expected by any means.  Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Fight, Fight, Fight!

Spain is that top team that crashes out every world cup.  Remember France in South Africa?  Chile has been living up to those dark horse expectations.  They look really good and are on their way to topping the group.

There have been some really great games this cup and oh so many goals!  And what a relief it is to not have those God-awful vuvuzelas ruining the games!  Glad to see the footy come out from under the shadow of everything else that has been plaguing Brasil in the run up.

risbom
Posted 2014-06-18 7:56 PM (#7975 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

Croatia vs. Cameroon 4:0. What happened to that Song when he hit Mandzukic? Cameroon looked really weak. I think we played tactically good match, moving without ball etc.
pauljames
Posted 2014-06-21 7:16 AM (#7981 - in reply to #7975)

Veteran

For a Scotsman watching Luis Suarez put two past the english is a lot of fun. When watching the replay of the second goal you realise it came direct from the goal kick. That was a fantastic goal and he is right now one of the best strikers in the world.
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-21 4:47 PM (#7983 - in reply to #7981)

Admin

Two good games so far today. Can't believe Iran and Ghana. Both played really well and Ghana damn near beat Germany. Great tournament!
valashain
Posted 2014-06-22 3:44 AM (#7984 - in reply to #7975)

Uber User

Yea, the Germans will have to do a bit better if they want to win. Very exciting match though. Will be interesting to see what Portugal does tonight. If they loose they're out.
valashain
Posted 2014-06-23 1:01 PM (#7987 - in reply to #7975)

Uber User

Just watched the Netherlands vs Chile. Not the most exciting game of the Woldcup but a good result for the Dutch. Three wins form three matches, 10 for, 3 against. I don't think anybody would have predicted that here. Will be interesting to see how far they can take it.
risbom
Posted 2014-06-23 6:03 PM (#7988 - in reply to #7936)

Regular

I watched Croatia vs Mexico, they bit us heavily, they were better. Disappointing game from Croats.
valashain
Posted 2014-06-29 1:08 PM (#8018 - in reply to #7936)

Uber User

And they did it again! That was one nervewracking match against Mexico!
Administrator
Posted 2014-06-29 1:56 PM (#8021 - in reply to #8018)

Admin

valashain - 2014-06-29 1:08 PM And they did it again! That was one nervewracking match against Mexico!

Incredible ending!  Perhaps a little unfair to Mexico. Robbed made a meal of that tiny bit of contact but then again he didn't get the call he should have got in the first half that was clearly a penalty. 

valashain
Posted 2014-06-29 2:12 PM (#8022 - in reply to #7936)

Uber User

Oh yea, that was definitely easily given. That Mexican coach will have a thing or two to say about the ref yet again.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)