open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. -- C.S. Lewis
- (Added by: gallyangel)

The Martian
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-01-30 12:25 PM (#9405)
Subject: The Martian

Uber User

IMDB has the cast list for the move. Ridley Scott directs. Matt Damon as Watney with Jessica Chastain and Kate Mara as eye candy.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

Same screenwriter as World War Z

Edited by justifiedsinner 2015-01-30 12:29 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-02-12 10:01 AM (#9614 - in reply to #9405)
Subject: RE: The Martian

Admin

I just finished this book last night and I really loved it!  I'm excited there's going to be a movie and this looks like a pretty decent cast.  Here's hoping for a cross between Castaway and Apollo 13!
Deven Science
Posted 2015-06-06 2:50 PM (#10717 - in reply to #9405)
Subject: Re: The Martian

Uber User

First shots of the production are in EW, and they look good. I'm hopeful that this could be good, as I loved the book.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-06-07 1:30 PM (#10736 - in reply to #9405)

Uber User

I guess I will have to put this higher on my "to read" pile since they are making a movie and I always try to read the book before I see the movie.
Administrator
Posted 2015-06-07 3:59 PM (#10738 - in reply to #10736)

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2015-06-07 1:30 PM I guess I will have to put this higher on my "to read" pile since they are making a movie and I always try to read the book before I see the movie.

I listened to the audio book and it was very entertaining. I've read that the book can be a little dry without the narration. Not sure I believe it but it's the kind of story I like with the sarcasm and McGuiverisms. 

Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-06-08 9:06 AM (#10739 - in reply to #10738)

Uber User

Isin't it amazing how the format that you experience a novel can effect the enjoyment of it. I usually have an audiobook running in my car, and sometimes the narrator makes a huge difference. I started listening to "The City & The City" last year and realized I was not absorbing the story, so I am trying it "on paper" this year. But I finished "The First Lensman" on audio for the 50's challenge and just adored it, because it reminded me of a radio play. Unfortunately, I only have access to The Martian "on paper" so it will be interesting to see how much I enjoy it.
Administrator
Posted 2015-06-08 10:03 AM (#10740 - in reply to #10739)

Admin

In case anyone missed it I just posted a trailer for the movie in the blog last night:

The Martian Gets a Trailer – Ares 3: Farewell

I think it looks great but there are no actual Mars scenes.  I linked to the movie site in the blog post so you can see some Mars shots there. 

Deven Science
Posted 2015-06-08 11:44 AM (#10742 - in reply to #9405)

Uber User

I also listened to the audiobook, and was glad for it. Reading it may be great, but I enjoyed the audio format.

The trailer looks good, overall. It looks like they very much abbreviate the establishment of communication, but they would have to for a two hour movie.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-06-08 12:11 PM (#10743 - in reply to #10742)

Uber User

Stop, you're making me jealous!
Administrator
Posted 2015-06-08 12:18 PM (#10745 - in reply to #10743)

Admin

A new, proper, trailer has been released!  Check it out in the blog:

The Martian | Official Trailer  

Weesam
Posted 2015-06-28 12:18 AM (#10879 - in reply to #10745)

Uber User

And now The Martian is officially an award winner. Although it is not an award followed on WWEnd, it has won Best Translated Novel at Japan's Seiun SF Awards this week.
Administrator
Posted 2015-06-30 10:12 PM (#10888 - in reply to #10879)

Admin

Adam Savage interviews 'The Martian' author Andy Weir - The Talking Room:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SemyzKgaUU

This is simply a must watch for Weir/Savage/Martian fans.  Wonderful interview that provides lots of backdrop for the novel that will make you like the book even more.

Kata
Posted 2015-10-02 5:45 PM (#11421 - in reply to #9405)

Okay, I saw the The Martian. It made me feel nostalgic. I was a little girl in the 1960s and remembered being glued to the television during the various launches and, of course, the moon landing. I liked the can do attitude of the story. I also liked the scene where he says something like everywhere I go, its the first time anyone has been there. I would have liked a little bit more of that wonder, but I understand that it is not in keeping with the figure out how to survive theme of the movie. What did other Worlds Without Enders think about it?
Deven Science
Posted 2015-10-02 8:39 PM (#11426 - in reply to #11421)

Uber User

Saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. The struggle was abbreviated compared to the novel, but that was to be expected, and they managed to get all of the big obstacles in there. I even liked the written-for-the-movie epilog. It made for nice closure.
Administrator
Posted 2015-10-28 10:41 PM (#11582 - in reply to #11426)

Admin

Deven Science - 2015-10-02 8:39 PM Saw it last night, and really enjoyed it. The struggle was abbreviated compared to the novel, but that was to be expected, and they managed to get all of the big obstacles in there. I even liked the written-for-the-movie epilog. It made for nice closure.

Saw it last week and I totally agree with you.  That's just a fun movie and it stayed very close to the book.  I'm hoping for a director's cut with extended science scenes eventually but I'd be happy to see it again as is.  Great stuff!

gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-26 9:31 PM (#12195 - in reply to #9405)

Uber User

What I don't understand is the quips about music. I don't know about you, but my iPod has enough memory for my whole library, which stands at over 80 days worth. If I was going, I'd take the whole thing and not just cuts. Geez, the minute I was named to the team, I'd be on the phone to Apple for a special iPod if there was some compatibly issue between apple and NASA hardware. Even going through the whole thing, that would only be a couple plays for each track from the beginning of the mission to the end.
Other than that minor quibble, I thought Scott was on point. It's great that in this era, film makers basically work as long as they want and don't retire because they think they have to, like Capra did. He could've made more movies but the culture at the time, convinced him to hang it up due to his age and not because he couldn't direct any longer.

Deven Science
Posted 2015-12-26 9:47 PM (#12196 - in reply to #12195)

Uber User

Interesting point about directors aging out. I think that in most cases, age does cause artists to lose their edge. Musicians, directors, even scientists tend to do their best work in their youth. There are exceptions. Ridley Scott is one that has kept going pretty strong, as is George Miller, who directed arguably his best at age 70.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)