open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I was walking down the street wearing glasses when the prescription ran out." - Steven Wright
- (Added by: Administrator)

Award Worthy Books List is LIVE
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2016-02-21 11:38 AM (#12784 - in reply to #12764)
Subject: Re: Award Worthy Books List is LIVE

Admin

Well, my mass email had the desired affect.  Thanks everyone for jumping in to tag your faves.  The list has grown significantly and it was cool to see all the votes coming in and moving the books up and down the lists.  You guys rock.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2016-03-02 9:46 PM (#12873 - in reply to #12784)

Extreme Veteran

I have six books from the list that I am trying to hurry up and read before it closes. This list is a pretty cool thing. I probably wouldn't have known some of these books even existed had I not been paying attention to this list.
Dlw28
Posted 2016-03-06 8:53 PM (#12917 - in reply to #12873)

Extreme Veteran

I agree-having the list has given me an opportunity to explore titles I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. Not sure I'll finish all all the titles I'd hope to by the end of March- but I've finished quite a few. Thanks!
Bormgans
Posted 2016-03-08 6:05 AM (#12923 - in reply to #12917)

Regular

Why would you want close the list? Why not opt for a dynamic, ever changing list? I have at least 6 more 2015 titles I want to read, but have other titles lined up too. I would love to be able to still "vote" for them, even if I read them after the deadline, or next year, or in 2025...

I think the list would grow stronger/more representative as users continue reading more 2015 titles in the following years.
Dlw28
Posted 2016-03-08 7:59 PM (#12931 - in reply to #12923)

Extreme Veteran

Hi- I have only 3 books on my fantasy list and want to add Princess X but the option of adding is isn't available. Is this a glitch?
Dlw28
Posted 2016-03-10 11:00 PM (#12955 - in reply to #12931)

Extreme Veteran

HI-have the award worthy lists closed??
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-11 2:21 PM (#12963 - in reply to #12955)

Admin

Dlw28 - 2016-03-10 11:00 PM HI-have the award worthy lists closed??

Yes, the list closed on March 1st.  We had a miscommunication over the end date and I was saying mid March when whargoul was coding it for the first.

There have been some discussions about leaving it open indefinitely so we can grow the list more and give people more time to add books etc.  We have not arrived at a decision yet though we're leaning towards cutting it off.  The purpose of the list is to be a guide for folks who vote in the yearly awards and is more of a snapshot of what was popular leading up to the awards -- much like the awards themselves.  It's almost a WWEnd award in a sense.  If we leave it open we'd be changing it completely.  It would still have some value as a best of the year list that would change over time as people read and add their favorites.

I'm a little torn myself to be honest which is why we've just left it alone the last few weeks.  What do you all think?  Any preferences either way?  I'd like to hear arguments for and against.  We'll need to decide if we're going to stick to the original plan or if we want to let it morph into something different.  Either way we'll be opening up the 2016 voting at the end of the month.

risbom
Posted 2016-03-16 5:30 PM (#12998 - in reply to #11579)

Regular

This is grat feature, really.
I am somewhat a slow reader, so I vote for the list to stay open.
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-16 6:37 PM (#12999 - in reply to #12998)

Admin

risbom - 2016-03-16 5:30 PM This is grat feature, really. I am somewhat a slow reader, so I vote for the list to stay open.

I'm glad you like it - we think it's pretty cool too.

Whargoul and I talked about how to proceed with it and here's where we landed.  We're going to leave the Award Worthy list open for 2 full years so folks have enough time to read the new stuff.  that means the 2015 list will stay open until the end of 2016 then it will cut off midnight Dec 31.  The 2016 list will stay open until the end of 2017 and so forth.

That way the list will continue to be an incentive to read the newer books but will allow plenty of time for folks to get those reads in.  And of course it will also still be available as a recommendation engine for those awards voters looking for ideas of what to read.

We hope you all like the new plan.  We'll be putting it into action in the next few days but since Whargoul is out on vacation it may take a little longer.  We should have the 2016 list up next week.  By the way, you can already tag books for 2016 - you just won't be able to see your list yet.

Administrator
Posted 2016-03-25 3:16 PM (#13067 - in reply to #12999)

Admin

The Award Worthy list is now turned back on for 2015 books.  You can add books to your 2015 list all the way through the end of 2016.

We'll be updating the list and the page in My World to include the 2016 Award Worthy list soon.

risbom
Posted 2016-03-25 5:29 PM (#13068 - in reply to #11579)

Regular

Works for me. Thanks.
Linguana
Posted 2021-11-28 1:45 AM (#23560 - in reply to #11579)

Hey everyone,
I just wondered why some books can be added to my award-worthy books and others can't, specifically novellas.

Alix E. Harrow's A Spindle Splintered has the button "add to my award-worthy books" but Catherynne M. Valente's two novellas of 2021, The Past is Red and Comfort Me With Apples both don't. Is there a reason for this? Does it depend on page count?
Administrator
Posted 2021-11-28 2:03 AM (#23561 - in reply to #23560)

Admin

Linguana - 2021-11-28 1:45 AM Hey everyone, I just wondered why some books can be added to my award-worthy books and others can't, specifically novellas. Alix E. Harrow's A Spindle Splintered has the button "add to my award-worthy books" but Catherynne M. Valente's two novellas of 2021, The Past is Red and Comfort Me With Apples both don't. Is there a reason for this? Does it depend on page count?

The list is actually Award Worthy Novels not books. We changed the name some time ago to help prevent confusion but we still have places where it's referred to as the generic "books". You can only add books that have been entered into the DB as novels. Spindle was incorrectly listed as a novel which is why you could put it on your list. I've changed it to novella now so you can't do that anymore. We don't always get those right unfortunately. If you come across other errors like that please let us know so we can make corrections.

Linguana
Posted 2021-11-28 1:46 PM (#23562 - in reply to #11579)

No problem. Thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense that way.
A separate novella list would be overkill I guess.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)