open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "There is no such thing as luck. There is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe." - Robert A. Heinlein
- (Added by: Administrator)

Award Worthy Books List is LIVE
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2015-10-28 10:22 PM (#11579)
Subject: Award Worthy Books List is LIVE

Admin

Well, as all things WWEnd do, it took us longer to get this feature out to you guys but it's finally here.  At least the first piece...

You can now start building your personal Award Worthy Books List in My World!  For any book first published in 2015 you'll find a check box to add the book to your list.  The check box matches the genre for the book so an SF book will only have the option to add that book to your SF list.  Some books that straddle the line between genres like fantasy/horror will give you 2 choices and you can pick the one that you think it fits best.

So for example, you really loved Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson:

• You go to the Aurora page
  • tag the book as read
  • check the box that says "Add to My Science Fiction List" in the Award Worthy Books section
  • click Submit

You're done.

You can see your recent activity on the profile page in My World where we show your latest 5 picks regardless of genre.  Click the section header to get the main page that shows all your picks and available slots for each of the 3 genres.  Click the genre headers on the My Award Worthy Books List page to get to the Books Published by Year list so you can find eligible new books to add to your list.

As always, if we're missing a book you want to add to your list you can make your requests in the forum and one of our Ubers will take care of you.

The second part of the Award Worthy Books project is the main list.  We're going to let some data build and test for the rest of this week then make that list available to everyone.

Some tips to keep in mind:

• you must tag the book as read to activate the check box that lets you add the book to your list
  • only 5 pics per genre - the check box will be disabled when you reach the max
  • you can change your picks anytime you want so you don't have to horde those precious slots - just put on the best books you're read so far - they can always be replaced if you read a better book later

Give it a go and let us know here what you think or if you run into any problems or have any questions.  Your feedback is valuable so we can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Read on!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-10-29 8:20 AM (#11584 - in reply to #11579)
Subject: Re: Award Worthy Books List is LIVE

Admin

Bump.
DrNefario
Posted 2015-10-29 8:22 AM (#11585 - in reply to #11579)

Uber User

I'm not seeing a check box or an Award-Worthy Books section. I've tried two of my existing 2015 books, and I've just tried Aurora from the link in the above post. Am I missing something?
Administrator
Posted 2015-10-29 8:28 AM (#11586 - in reply to #11585)

Admin

DrNefario - 2015-10-29 8:22 AM I'm not seeing a check box or an Award-Worthy Books section. I've tried two of my existing 2015 books, and I've just tried Aurora from the link in the above post. Am I missing something?

The check box is under the RYO stuff and above the submit button.  It's part of the BookTrackr section so it won't show if you're not logged in but you should be seeing it otherwise.  Perhaps your novel page is cached.  Try a hard refresh and see if that does it.  Otherwise try logging out and back in. 

Administrator
Posted 2015-10-29 8:32 AM (#11587 - in reply to #11586)

Admin

Well damn.  There was some code around the section to hide it from other than Admin level users that I forgot was there.  Should be fine now.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2015-10-30 12:01 AM (#11598 - in reply to #11579)
Subject: RE: Award Worthy Books List is LIVE

Uber User

Awesome!!

I ran into a couple hiccups as I was going through this.

The first was that I couldn't seem to be able to rate a newly read book and add it to my Science Fiction list at the same time.  I had to rate it, submit, then go back, add it to the list, and resubmit.  I played around with this.  If, as per the instructions, I click the "Read" radio button, the Science Fiction list checkbox becomes enabled.  However, if I simply click the stars to rate the book (my normal procedure), the "Read" radio button automatically becomes selected but the Science Fiction list checkbox is not enabled.

Secondly, when I tried to add Cixin Liu's The Dark Forest, the Science Fiction list checkbox wasn't available.  This is a translation date issue:  the book was first published in English in 2015 but was originally published in Chinese in 2008.

Congrats on the new feature!!  I'm really looking forward to seeing the main list!

Administrator
Posted 2015-10-30 12:17 AM (#11599 - in reply to #11598)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2015-10-30 12:01 AM

Awesome!!

I ran into a couple hiccups as I was going through this.

The first was that I couldn't seem to be able to rate a newly read book and add it to my Science Fiction list at the same time.  I had to rate it, submit, then go back, add it to the list, and resubmit.  I played around with this.  If, as per the instructions, I click the "Read" radio button, the Science Fiction list checkbox becomes enabled.  However, if I simply click the stars to rate the book (my normal procedure), the "Read" radio button automatically becomes selected but the Science Fiction list checkbox is not enabled.

Secondly, when I tried to add Cixin Liu's The Dark Forest, the Science Fiction list checkbox wasn't available.  This is a translation date issue:  the book was first published in English in 2015 but was originally published in Chinese in 2008.

Congrats on the new feature!!  I'm really looking forward to seeing the main list!

Forgot about the rating stars switching the not read to read.  We'll look into it and get that fixed.  The translation will be a bit more involved.  It's just nothing we thought about.  We'll find a way to make it work.

Glad you like the new feature.  We'll launch the big list soon.  We have a few bugs to work out first.  Should only be a few days.

Administrator
Posted 2015-10-30 1:45 PM (#11607 - in reply to #11599)

Admin

Whargoul has fixed the rating stars issue.  When you rate the book it will activate the AWL check box.
Administrator
Posted 2015-10-30 9:40 PM (#11616 - in reply to #11607)

Admin

Did your award worthy book disappear from your list?  Well, that's on us.  It turns out we left out the bit of code that restricted the selection to novel only and a few folks tagged collections and novellas before we could fix it.  It's fixed now and we removed the 4 non novels.  Sorry for the confusion.

Next year we'll probably have more categories.  We want to work out the bugs with just novels for this short run. 

Administrator
Posted 2015-10-31 1:31 PM (#11637 - in reply to #11579)

Admin

Bumpity bump.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2015-10-31 4:23 PM (#11640 - in reply to #11579)

Uber User

Dave,

Maybe you should make a blog post announcement for this - I suspect that a lot of casual members won't have noticed this thread...  
Administrator
Posted 2015-11-03 6:51 PM (#11705 - in reply to #11640)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2015-10-31 4:23 PM Dave,

Maybe you should make a blog post announcement for this - I suspect that a lot of casual members won't have noticed this thread...  

The main list is up now.  I'll me sending out a mass email to all members with this new feature as well as a bund of other updates since the last email.  After that I'll post it in the blog.

Ya'll check out the list and let us know what you think.

Administrator
Posted 2015-11-09 8:48 AM (#11768 - in reply to #11705)

Admin

I sent the mass email to all WWEnders this weekend to let them know about some of the new features from this year - in particular the Award-Worthy list and we got a great response.  Thanks to everyone for tagging your 2015 faves.  It's starting to come together now with the additional input so check it out when you get a chance.
Dlw28
Posted 2016-01-09 9:41 PM (#12351 - in reply to #11579)

Extreme Veteran

I love this idea and it's helping me organize my thoughts about the books I'm reading.

One question: I just changed my top five list for scifi but have not seen the corresponding change in votes for the main list. Should the change be instantaneous or does it take some time?
Administrator
Posted 2016-01-10 12:01 AM (#12353 - in reply to #12351)

Admin

Dlw28 - 2016-01-09 9:41 PM I love this idea and it's helping me organize my thoughts about the books I'm reading. One question: I just changed my top five list for scifi but have not seen the corresponding change in votes for the main list. Should the change be instantaneous or does it take some time?

The change should be automatic but it may require a hard refresh to get the results to show.  Or, it could be that there is a job that runs on that page every once in awhile that will update the data.  If that's the case it'll be avery 15 minutes or so I would guess.  I just don't remember which it is.  Try refreshing the page and see if you see your votes.  Do keep in mind that other folks could have tagged or un-tagged some books in the mean time so it may not be obvious.

Dlw28
Posted 2016-01-10 6:38 AM (#12357 - in reply to #11579)

Extreme Veteran

Ok , helpful to know.

I do think there's a problem with my last entry though. When I go to the Watchmaker on Filigree Street the checkmark for 'Add to my scifi list' won't stay marked. And yet it's listed in my award worthy list.
Administrator
Posted 2016-01-10 7:22 AM (#12358 - in reply to #12357)

Admin

I'll have whargoul take a look tomorrow. 
Administrator
Posted 2016-01-14 4:43 PM (#12396 - in reply to #12358)

Admin

OK, so what happened was with the new year the code was using the current year instead of the 2015 award year we wanted.  I've updated all the books tagged as award worthy since 1/1 to 2015 and all 31 votes are now showing in the list.  whargoul is fixing the code so it won't happen anymore.

I was starting to wonder where all the votes were!

Dlw28
Posted 2016-01-14 9:02 PM (#12398 - in reply to #11579)

Extreme Veteran

That's great! I was wondering too. Thanks.
Administrator
Posted 2016-01-31 7:57 PM (#12536 - in reply to #12398)

Admin

The code has been fixed so your selections will show on the main list immediately as they should.  Thanks whargoul!
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-02-10 11:50 PM (#12646 - in reply to #11579)

Uber User

These lists have really blossomed!!

It's been interesting to see leaders emerge from the pack.  There are some interesting books that hadn't really been on my radar, so more for the TBR pile!

It's also interesting to compare the lists to a similar vote-ranked list over at Goodreads as well as to the current Locus Recommended Reading List .  Lots of overlap, but certainly some differences as well - some of which seem surprising.

Lastly, Jo Walton's Thessaly books are kind of getting short shrift - votes are being split between two different books and between two different lists (I'm surprised that they're sometimes considered SF - all the (spoiler alert) time travel and robots are by the grace of the Greek gods, i.e. magic.  The only real SF occurs right at the end of book 2).  Anyhow, if you total up all the disparate votes, it currently adds up to 7, which places them near the top.

Administrator
Posted 2016-02-19 8:21 AM (#12758 - in reply to #12646)

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2016-02-10 11:50 PM

These lists have really blossomed!! 

Yeah, I'm really pleased with how the lists are turning out too.  I do wish we had more participation but for our first year it's not too bad.  I expect it will grow bigger over time.

Woogwhy
Posted 2016-02-19 9:44 AM (#12759 - in reply to #11579)

New User

Hi.... Whats the call on The Dark Forest? Not eligible because of the original publish date vs the translation date?
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-19 9:51 AM (#12760 - in reply to #12759)

Admin

Woogwhy - 2016-02-19 9:44 AM Hi.... Whats the call on The Dark Forest? Not eligible because of the original publish date vs the translation date?

Yeah, the code takes the earliest date.  I've taken out the 2008 pub reference so you can tag it now.  The awards it would be up for that concern us here are all English language awards and they'll take from the date of translation.  I made a note in the synopsis so that should cover it.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Woogwhy
Posted 2016-02-19 8:59 PM (#12764 - in reply to #11579)

New User

Awesome....thank you!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)