open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The advanced societies of the future will not be governed by reason. They will be driven by irrationality, by competing systems of psychopathology. - J. G. Ballard
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Thoughts
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-26 9:19 PM (#12194)
Subject: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Thoughts

Uber User

Ho, Ho.

Just in case you need a place to heap praise or to vent, this will be the place.

I saw Number 7 on Wed last. I think the more I think about it, the lower it goes in my estimation. Its like it was good and now its ok.
At least with the first three (1-3) you had that sense of depth, of alien cultures, architecture, the depth of galaxy that the story played out in front of. This seemed very confined in comparison. You could hardly tell that this was out there in the galaxy.
I also didnt like the fact they seemed to be repeating themes. Every episode before was closer to a unique story. This seemed to be elements of 4 and 6 smashed together. History repeats (rhymes) but that only detracted as far as I could tell.
I keep thinking about where the book series was going about three or four years ago right before The Big Sale to Disney and that whole history was wiped out.
Im remembering the fight between Jacen Solo (Hans son) and Mara Jade-Skywalker (Lukes Wife). If the lightsaber battles in 1-3 had an elegance to them, this fight between aunt and nephew was a knock-down drag-out street brawl to the death. Last one breathing wins. Something weve not seen on film. A few years after that, Luke, out in the galaxy, found (like turning over a rock) a planet that had been isolated from the galaxy (no hyperdrive) and had developed a Sith culture. None of this only two stuff, but a whole planet run by the Sith. The books were headed for a Sith/Jedi war for the fate of the galaxyI think they missed an opportunity there.Disney and Abrams and the writers played it safe. Sure, their profit margin will be in the billions but I still think they played it safe. Just thinking about what a full on Jedi-Sith war might look like on film (no clones or droid armies in between) makes this effort look ok, at best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kent
Posted 2016-01-30 8:24 PM (#12529 - in reply to #12194)
Subject: RE: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Thoughts

New User

Derivative, ioditic and highly insulting to humanity.

A death planet? Really? Isn't that a rather ridiculous weapon? What value? Can't be useful outside the solar system that, oh yeah it destroyed except for the one planet that housed its enemy. Borders on stupidity.

And the direct reference to Hitler and the Nazis was revolting, garish and insulting. The producers and directors should apologize to the world.

Kent
gallyangel
Posted 2016-02-10 3:15 AM (#12641 - in reply to #12529)
Subject: Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Thoughts

Uber User

After a second viewing, I now feel that I've gotten over most of the crankiness that was fostered by totally ripping to shreds the whole of the storyline that they've carefully built up over the years. The Star Wars story line is (was) a lot more coherent than the Star Trek one, which they, again, ripped to shreds and tossed aside.
Taken now, as meant, as a thill-ride at the movies, I found myself entertained by it all. Certainly the Nazi stuff was repugnant, but it's meant to be. (I'm not saying anything about who runs Hollywood!) Ren seemed even more unstable this time around. And I did keep myself from shouting at the screen at the end. "Luke, stop sulking. Act!"
I'm just wondering if the sales numbers at Ultrasaber.com have gone up.
Deven Science
Posted 2017-01-14 7:41 PM (#15088 - in reply to #12194)

Uber User

I realize this is an old thread, but I liked it. Much more upon the second viewing than the first. The Starkiller Base was the only thing I had a big problem with. It is indeed ridiculous that they went to the "planet(oid) planet-killing base" well for a third time, but other than that, I had a good time. Rogue One? Not so much.
gallyangel
Posted 2017-01-14 9:11 PM (#15091 - in reply to #15088)

Uber User

Deven Science - 2017-01-14 5:41 PM

Rogue One? Not so much.

Really?

I had just the opposite reaction. I thought Rogue was a very good installment, which actually fitted in that 3.5 slot it occupies. I thought it was way better that SW 8 in terms of how the storyline moves forward. Much more to like.

Deven Science
Posted 2017-01-15 6:11 PM (#15098 - in reply to #15091)

Uber User

Rogue One was really lacking in character development. Other than Jyn Erso, and the robot, I couldn't tell you a single character's name. All were just archetypes. In Force Awakens, I felt like Finn, Rey, Kylo Ren, and many others, all had some level of development, or moments to give you a feel for the character.

Also, the last big battle scene in Rogue One had me rolling my eyes several times. Really? Another Mission Impossible style computer that they have to crawl around on to grab a harddrive? That's been done too many times now. They don't even have something equivalent to a flash drive to solve that problem?

I need to calm down. That movie was frustrating with unnecessary plot.
gallyangel
Posted 2017-01-15 9:21 PM (#15099 - in reply to #15098)

Uber User

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I have to much knowledge of where the books took the series. It's a clear, well thought out timeline, that, up until it's unceremonious dumping after the big sale, had Luke as Grandmaster of the new Jedi Order, Leia as a Jedi and former chancellor of the republic; Han was Han. They were headed straight for a Jedi/Seth throw-down for the galaxy since a world were Sith had evolved without that ridicules there shall only be two thing, had gotten loose from the sole world they'd been inhabiting. Now that timeline sounds better to me than the retread that 7 provided.
Starbrightdude
Posted 2017-10-01 6:16 AM (#16314 - in reply to #12194)

New User

I loved Rogue One, and felt it slotted into the Star Wars story nicely. I hated that they felt the need to kill all the wonderful new characters they had created. Star Wars is such a huge setting, they could easily have been found a place that didn't disrupt the main story.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)