open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I read, and, in reading, lifted the Curtains of the Impossible, that blind the mind, and looked out into the unknown." -- William Hope Hodgson, The House on the Borderland
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Non-RYO book goals for the new year
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

pizzakarin
Posted 2015-12-31 10:15 AM (#12212)
Subject: Non-RYO book goals for the new year

Veteran

2016 is almost here!

What are your book goals that are not part of the RYO challenge?

Mine are:

* Read a book in Spanish - I've been learning spanish on the duolingo app and I think I'm almost to the point where I could limp through a book. I have a feeling that as soon as I can start getting through novels in Spanish that my skills will dramatically improve.
* Do more writing - it's not quite a "book" goal, but I would really like to get a few story submissions under my belt by the end of next year (whether they are published or not)
* Read a few non-fiction books. I'd especially like to read some books about writing and The Art of Fermentation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-12-31 1:39 PM (#12213 - in reply to #12212)
Subject: Re: Non-RYO book goals for the new year

Uber User

I have three goals for 2016:
1.) Read all the Hugo winners, I have read 18 and have 46 left, not including Next years winner.
2.) Read 24 non-fiction books, that is only 2 a month. I managed to read over 150 books last year only 16 were non-fiction, I can do better than that!
3.) Read an Agatha Christie series in it's entirety. I'm thinking Hercule Poirot, but at 43 book, that's a lot. Maybe Miss Marple, a more "doable" 13 books.

With these goals that's 113 (or 83) books, and that does not include the RYO challenges I already signed up for.
daxxh
Posted 2015-12-31 2:40 PM (#12214 - in reply to #12213)

Extreme Veteran

I would like to catch up on my Edward Rutherfurd books. I have The Rebels of Ireland, Paris, and New York to read. I also want to read more nonfiction this year. I usually read one every other month (some are like textbooks), but I was delinquent this year because I signed up for too many challenges. I have a lot of the Lamar Series of Western History books to read (American Southwest History).

I also am not going to let book size dictate what I read. I swapped a lot of 600+ page books for shorter ones so I could finish some of my challenges. I want to read Under the Dome this year. I have started it three times and have always stopped because it's not a book you want to lug around in the airport. I also want to read at least one of the Otherland series, catch up on Alastair Reynolds books (three of those), and read some of the many Stephen King books I have inherited from friends.

I tend to read around 80 books/year. I doubt I will get that many done this year if I read all the longs ones. I also have a young horse to train, and that will dig into reading time. I figure I'll catch up on the books when I'm old, retired and can't swing my leg over a horse.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-01-01 4:07 AM (#12218 - in reply to #12212)

Uber User

I've been trying to read the rest of the BSFA winners for several years, but they got a bit sidelined by challenges. I'd like to read a good handful this year.

I want to read more than I buy, and I want to clear some of my paper book backlog. I have several stacks of unread books in my cupboard of shame, and I think the smallest of them is 7 books, so it would be nice to finish the year with 7 fewer unread paper books.

I'm still intending to read a short story a day. I read 376 stories and missed two days in 2015. I still have plenty of anthologies, collections and magazines to get through.

And I might manage to read more non-genre books if I keep a lid on the challenges.
Allie
Posted 2016-01-01 5:46 AM (#12220 - in reply to #12212)

Uber User

I want to read more short fiction (maybe not a story a day, but more than last year!).

I also want to get back into reading French and Japanese. I'm in the middle of Murakami Haruki's End of the World/Hard-Boiled Wonderland but just didn't have the energy for reading non-native language in the evenings for far too much of 2015. For French I'm hoping to read some of Andr Ruellan's books, but might switch back to Bernard Werber if he is too hard (this is my first foray out of children's lit).

Also, finish reading the Hugo Winners. I'm almost done with Hyperion, and then I have 4 left. It's so close, I really want to complete the set!

Beyond that, I also want to finish some of my backlog of already-purchased books. That is the one challenge from 2015 that I seriously failed in! It's so hard when amazon keeps offering 1.99$ award-winning/nominated e-books :D.
pizzakarin
Posted 2016-01-01 10:08 AM (#12222 - in reply to #12220)

Veteran

I spent so much money on books last year, that this year I have vowed to buy no books. I unsubscribed from all of the newsletters and have stopped looking at Amazon's daily deal. I am really excited about saving so much money.
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-01 4:21 PM (#12226 - in reply to #12222)

Uber User

I would like to finish all the Hugo and Nebula award winners. I only have 10 Hugos and 13 Nebulas to go.

I would also like to read all the books I purchased last year. Which was quite a lot.
Dlw28
Posted 2016-01-02 2:51 PM (#12258 - in reply to #12226)

Extreme Veteran

I, also, would like to buy fewer books and make better use of the library this year. I did pretty well this past year with 21 of 98 books borrowed-and a few other novellas free online. I think now that I'm using Hoopla and Overdrive I should be able to find more books that i have on my TBR pile. I have quite a few books purchased used from the past few years that I want to get to as well. I'm not brave enough to stop the newsletter recs though! I have enjoyed reading some of the older SF (much of which I read new at a younger age) but I'm finding some newer writers that I find thoroughly original and appreciate their voices.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-01-09 5:11 AM (#12331 - in reply to #12258)

Elite Veteran

I am cutting down drastically on challenges this year. I have a knee replacement soon,and my frail 85 year old sister is often unwell,and is coping with a husband with Alzheimer's,so I am not committing myself to so much this year,real life is a bit pressing. Last year I read 122 SF/F/H books,this year I have made a list of 50,and we'll see how it goes.
I thoroughly enjoyed the Defining Books of 50s and 60schallenges in 2015,and,apart from continuing with the 70s and maybe 80s challenges,I have decided to stay in the 50s and 60s for the most part,reading more of the classics - and the pulp! - of the past.I had some wonderful reads last year in that area,and am eager to fill in the ignorance gaps this year too
I had been working through a combined list of Hugo,Nebula and Locus award winning books (62/102 completed so far),but I am letting that lie for this year,perhaps reading only 8-10 titles.As time progresses the books all seem to be wristbreakers!But it is an ongoing plan of mine to complete that list,as and when I can locate the books.I definitely intend to complete that list before my 70th birthday in January 2018!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)