open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In the end, the only safe place to put a Trojan horse is outside your walls." Robert Harris
- (Added by: Acknud)

A Bit of Perspective From Darwin's Radio
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

JohnBem
Posted 2016-03-16 7:26 PM (#13000)
Subject: A Bit of Perspective From Darwin's Radio

Regular

Yesterday I started reading Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear, as part of my (admittedly quixotic) endeavor to read all of the books on all of the lists on WWE. Anyway, early on in the book I encountered the following paragraph, which I absolutely love; it is an eloquent reminder of human beings' ultimate fate and our place in the grand cycle of things:

"After a few hours she dozed off and dreamed of bacterial buildups inside the bodies within the trench graves. Biofilms, what most people thought of as slime: little industrious bacterial cities reducing these corpses, these once-living giant evolutionary offspring, back to their native materials. Lovely polysaccharide architectures being laid down within the interior channels, the gut and lungs, the heart and arteries and eyes and brain, the bacteria giving up their wild ways and becoming citified, recycling all; great garbage dump cities of bacteria, cheerfully ignorant of philosophy and history and the character of the dead hulks they now reclaimed."
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JohnBem
Posted 2016-03-27 10:51 AM (#13087 - in reply to #13000)
Subject: RE: A Bit of Perspective From Darwin's Radio

Regular

What started out with a bang ended with a whimper. I like the novel, but the enthusiasm with which I started to read is in no way matched by my somewhat depleted enthusiasm at the end. My thoughts are in my review.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)