open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We have learned now that we cannot regard this planet as being fenced in and a secure abiding place for Man; we can never anticipate the unseen good or evil that may come upon us suddenly out of space." - H.G. Wells
- (Added by: Administrator)

Gloryhammer: SF/F-Flavored Metal
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Off TopicMessage format

JohnBem
Posted 2016-05-01 2:58 PM (#13424)
Subject: Gloryhammer: SF/F-Flavored Metal

Regular

Earlier today, I was browsing in my local record store when a CD cover caught my eye. It was an image of a dark creature wearing spiky bone armor and wielding a staff and a glowing sphere in its clawed hands. The record is by a band called GloryHammer and the title of the work is "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards." I knew nothing about the band, but the record store clerk praised it highly, so for the first time in forever I made a blind buy. I'm glad I did. The record is a masterpiece of fast, melodic metal. The songs mostly tell epic science-fiction/fantasy stories. The album starts off particularly strong with a 4-song brain-bending gutpunch of awesomeness: "Infernus Ad Astra," "Rise of the Chaos Wizards," "Legend of the Astral Hammer," and "Goblin King of the Darkstorm Galaxy." Apparently this new record is the second by GloryHammer and after this experience I absolutely must seek out their first. This is one of the most amazing albums I've ever heard and if you like epic fantasy and sci-fi and metal, I'd say you can't go wrong with "Space 1992." Dig it. Oh, and shop local and talk to the clerks. They may possess great knowledge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
whargoul
Posted 2016-05-02 3:10 PM (#13434 - in reply to #13424)
Subject: Re: Gloryhammer: SF/F-Flavored Metal

Admin

Thanks for the tip! I'm half way through that "Space 1992: Rise of the Chaos Wizards" right now, it's pretty fantastic. Their other album, "Tales from the Kindom of Fife", is on Spotify. I plan on giving that a listen after I'm done absorbing Space 1992.
JohnBem
Posted 2016-05-02 7:51 PM (#13435 - in reply to #13434)

Regular

Any time, Whargoul. I've listened to "Space 1992" three times since yesterday. Love the idea of a Scottish galactic empire. I'll be seeking out "Kingdom of Fife" as well. Listened to it on the drive to work and the songs were rattling around in my head all day. I love metal and I love space opera and this is a perfect blend of those two things. I'd be curious what other records and bands you like, I'm always looking to learn about new stuff to get into.
whargoul
Posted 2016-05-03 1:23 PM (#13457 - in reply to #13435)

Admin

Oh man...I like metal of all kinds, though I generally have a hard time mixing it with SF without it turning into pure cheese. Allegaeon does a pretty good job (with songs like "1.618", "The God Particle" and "Dyson Sphere"), but I wouldn't place them squarely in the SF genre. GWAR has always been an old favorite of mine, however aside from a few SF-ish stints here and there they're mostly splatter-horror.

Recently (in the past 3 or 4 years) I've discovered viking/folk metal and one of my new favorite bands to come of that (TYR) hails from the Faroe Islands. Heidevolk and Amon Amarth are a couple of others I've grown fond of as well, however when the mood's right nothing compares to some good ole Pantera, Megadeth or Anthrax.
JohnBem
Posted 2016-05-04 3:45 AM (#13461 - in reply to #13457)

Regular

I'll have to try out some of your recommendations. I've recently discovered Amon Amarth myself. I normally can't get into bands with 'growly' vocals that much, but I love Amon Amarth's music and the stories the songs tell, and the vocal style fits the mood and the images. The little bit of GWAR I've listened to, I've liked; I'll have to dig into them more deeply. Anthrax is one of my favorite metal bands; I recently purchased their latest, "For All Kings," and it is brilliant. "Evil Twin" is my favorite on it, but every song is very good if not great. And I love Pantera's "Cowboys From Hell" too. "Cemetery Gates" is one of my favorite songs. Thanks for the tips. It's nice to have found another metalhead here on WWE. \../(-_-)\../
Bormgans
Posted 2016-05-07 2:43 AM (#13500 - in reply to #13461)

Regular

Out of the top of my head, probably too extreme for your taste John if you don't like growls/grunts:

Caducity - Whirler of Fate (fantasy themed death metal)
Bal-Sagoth - A Black Moon Broods of Lemuria / Starfiring Burning Upon The Ice-Veiled Throne of Ultima Thule (first two albums in a Fantasy symphonic BM trilogy)
Blood Incantation - Interdimensional Extinction (SF DM, bandcamp here: https://darkdescentrecords.bandcamp.com/album/interdimensional-extin...)
Xenomorph - Empyreal regimes (SF DM)
Nocturnus - The Key (SF DM)

Bormgans
Posted 2016-05-07 2:45 AM (#13501 - in reply to #13424)

Regular

And of course everything by Summoning, heavily Tolkien influenced symphonic BM
Bormgans
Posted 2016-05-07 10:25 AM (#13508 - in reply to #13501)

Regular

There's also Artificial Brian - Labyrinth Constellation (newish technical DM)

plus:
Hoth - Oathbreaker: star wars themed death/black metal
Wormed: technical DM with hard SF lyrics
Nephren-Ka - The Fall of Omnius : Dune themed DM

I don't really like these last 3 bands myself, but lots of people do, so check 'em out...
JohnBem
Posted 2016-05-09 7:40 PM (#13533 - in reply to #13508)

Regular

Wow, bleebs, thanks! That's a lot of stuff to check out. I appreciate it. Who knows, I'm slowly getting into some of the heavier, darker, growlier stuff. I hope to find some songs I like amid your recommendations. And I can always turn to the Captain & Tennille section of my record collection as an aural palate cleanser.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)