open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: Administrator)

Looking for Beta Readers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> WWEnd Member ProjectsMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2016-11-12 1:50 PM (#14564)
Subject: Looking for Beta Readers

Veteran

Hi all! So when I'm not critiquing books I write sci-fi and fantasy, and I use National Novel Writing Month to spur my efforts in this field. I'm looking for some beta readers to read the two projects I'm currently working on. One is high fantasy and the other is hard sci-fi.

What you get out of it: the very first look at new books in your favourite genres - for free!
The drawbacks: it's the very first look. So the books have not been professionally edited yet.

What I'm looking for: people who know the genre who can double-check my work for such factors as consistency, clear descriptions of events, accurate portrayals of technology, likeability of the characters, etc.

What I'm not looking for: editors or literary critics; at least not at this stage. I don't want my style critiqued or my run-on sentences pointed out. You can correct basic grammatical issues if you wish (as long as they are not in dialogue, because that is probably intended, since people do not use correct grammar when they speak).

I, of course, reserve the right to choose to take your advice, or not, as I see fit.

I need two types of beta readers: those who are willing to read chapters as I go, and those who want to read over the whole thing at the end. I suppose you could do both, but it's important to have people to read the whole thing who have not been reading along from the beginning (because of plot consistency and clarity checks). I will need read-as-you-go readers to start on the first of December if possible; it will be a few months before either one is ready for those who would prefer the whole picture at once.

Here's my plot descriptions:

The Forever Throne: When the forces of darkness killed the monarchs of the realm, a loyal knight took their heir into hiding. Now, as an army of necromancers stands on the verge of global domination Vaughn will come of age and claim his throne. He will find magic and ancient mysteries that will aid in his quest to defeat the darkness threatening his world. But what happens when he learns that his mentor has not told him everything; such as the fact that the Forever Throne can only be claimed by a Queen? (*Note - LGBTQ themes)

The Cloud: At the turn of the 24th century, asteroid mining has become an economic pillar of the solar system. Spurred on by the United States' SPACE Act of 2015, which states that a company is entitled to full possession of water or mineral resources that it harvests but not to the celestial land that it comes from, Sol's space has become a free market free-for-all where mining corporations must hire mercenaries to protect their profits and their people. Yet there are vast fortunes to be made, and a new "space rush" drives thousands of brave and desperate people out into the void. There is only one catch, and that is that no one may own or commercially exploit anything that is alive.

After a shattering divorce, geologist Terra Singh decides to get as far away from her ex-husband and his wealthy, manipulative family as possible, and her quest sends her quite far indeed; prospecting into the Oort Cloud, the last virgin frontier of the solar system. But she finds a lot more than she bargained for. Something in the Cloud is trying to send a message. And it may not be human . . .

If you're interested, please private message me; if you have questions, feel free to ask them here. And thanks for your time!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)