open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to beor to be indistinguishable fromself-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time." - Neal Stephenson (Cryptonomicon)
- (Added by: Emil)

Help me find this story... "The 7th Avocation of ..."
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

BoardGames
Posted 2017-05-08 11:31 AM (#15697)
Subject: Help me find this story... "The 7th Avocation of ..."

New User

Ages ago (maybe 40 years ago), I read an SF short story about a world in which the right to work was reserved for those few who could demonstrate their productivity. The title was something like "The 7th Avocation of ..." where ... represent a persons name.

The story was about a remarkable person who had proven themselves to be productive enough to work in 7 areas. It seems prescient and I would like to find the story again.

Is there anyone out there who remembers the story and can provide a reference.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2017-05-08 12:07 PM (#15698 - in reply to #15697)
Subject: RE: Help me find this story... "The 7th Avocation of ..."

Admin

I found this description of David Brin's short story "The Fourth Vocation of George Gustaf".  Could this be it?

"The Fourth Vocation of George Gustaf" is a study of a utopian society where the government forces its citizens to have several vocations and electives to stay gainfully employed and educated. George Gustaf happens to be heir to most of the monarchies of the pre-ascension world and, after being found by a budding sociologist (trying to write a paper for his mandatory elective), the androids and government agree that, yes, Gustaf should be the boss. For OA, it's an interesting look at employment in a utopian, post-scarcity society.

BoardGames
Posted 2017-05-09 7:05 PM (#15702 - in reply to #15697)
Subject: Re: Help me find this story... "The 7th Avocation of ..."

New User

This is almost certainly the story. You have "librarianesque" searching skills. I will re-read the story to check how far my memory has deteriorated. Thanks for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)