open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Besides, when you say you're a feminist it annoys the bigots and the old farts and the prissy ladies so much, it's kind of irresistible. - Ursula K. Le Guin (Interview)
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Scifi Masterworks Side Design
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

kabelfritz
Posted 2018-03-08 9:45 AM (#16907)
Subject: Scifi Masterworks Side Design

obviously the series is awesome, but i have one problem with the visual design of it. all the cover pictures look awesome, but the sides are just plain ugly to me. i dont know why they chose this bland design. in the bookshelf i find them so ugly that i try to learn of good titles from this series but then buy a different edition than the gollancz one. which is quite saddening because the front covers are really great and id want to respect the publisher for putting together such a great series. does anyone else feel like me?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-03-08 2:05 PM (#16909 - in reply to #16907)
Subject: RE: Scifi Masterworks Side Design

Admin

I like the uniform black spine design with the numbering of the original series but I agree that the new spine is not great.  The old ones look great all together on a shelf with the little thumbnails of color running down the middle of the set.  The new ones are just too busy for me, especially by comparison. Of course I've got tons of Penguin classics all gathered together and they have the same kind of black spine with the little bars of color at the top.  The new ones look OK one-off but when you line them up it gets to be overdone.

Too bad you can't really display them all face out cause those new covers are really nice.
valashain
Posted 2018-03-10 2:40 AM (#16913 - in reply to #16909)
Subject: Re: Scifi Masterworks Side Design

Uber User

I think the yellow spines is reaching back to the Gollancz covers over the 1960s and 1970s. A lot of those were a shade of very ... er .. eye-catching yellow.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)