open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The historic task of science fiction is to develop a global consciousness -- Margaret St. Clair, "Thoughts from My Seventies"
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Sub-Genre searching
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Welcome to Worlds Without End! -> New Features & NewsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2008-10-20 10:07 AM (#1470)
Subject: Sub-Genre searching

Admin

hello everyone!

we've just put in a new feature that we're pretty excited about.  it's a search based on the sub-genre tags on the novel pages.  you can access it 3 ways:

- Novel Page - on the novel page we've hot-linked the sub-genre tags that display in the novel info box.  so for example if you go to Calculating God you can choose any of the 3 sub-genre tags there to see other books in our data base that have been tagged as First Contact, Theological or Near Future.  this makes it easy to find other books with similar themes to the ones you like.

- Search Box - in the search box you can choose a sub-genre directly and get a list of all the books in the db that have been tagged for that sub-genre.  click the "+" sign next to the "Book/Author Search" header to expand the search box then choose your sub-genre from the drop down.

- Sub-Genres in Resources - not sure what you want to read or you aren't familiar with the sub-genres we've identified?  check out our page in the resources section to read the definitions for all the subs and link to the lists directly from there the same as you can from the search box.

you can use the search box or the resources page to search for books based on a particular sub without reference to another book.  I like to mix it up a bit so I use this to find a book that's far removed from the last book I've read. I can go from post apocalyptic to space opera or dark fantasy for my next read.

a couple points about sub-genre searching:

- please keep in mind this is a new feature and is dependent on member participation for it's accuracy/utility.

- we take the top 3 choices out of all sub-genres that are submitted for each book so that should hopefully cancel out the inevitable errors and the folks who just want to jack it up.

- the more people that tag a particular book the more accurate those tags will be.  in other words if I'm the only one who has tagged a book my 3 sub-genre choices will be the ones that show by default.  if 10 people tag the same book those results will be a consensus of the 10 people rather than just 1 guy's opinion.

- a lot of books in the db have not been tagged at all so they won't show in the search results.  the more novels get tagged the more books will come back in the search results.

- try to be accurate in your tagging and tag everything you've read.  some books may only need 2 sub tags so you don't have to choose 3 every time.

- if you have not tagged your books you can't complain about the results you get in the search.

so that's it.  check it out and let us know what you think.

- dave

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mark.pedigo
Posted 2011-04-14 10:29 AM (#2373 - in reply to #1470)
Subject: Re: Sub-Genre searching

New User

Fantastic feature! It's the main reason I joined the site.
Administrator
Posted 2011-04-14 11:22 AM (#2374 - in reply to #2373)

Admin

mark.pedigo - 2011-04-14 10:29 AM Fantastic feature! It's the main reason I joined the site.

Thanks Mark, and welcome to WWEnd!  I'm glad to see you've jumped right in tagging your books and using the other features around the site.  Let me know if you have any questions or comments.  We love to hear from our members!

Wintermute
Posted 2011-05-22 11:20 PM (#2400 - in reply to #1470)

You should make this a front-page blog post because it is likely that not everyone visits this particular forum BUT they would be very happy to help tag books. If more people got the heads up I'm sure there would be a nice up-tick.
Administrator
Posted 2011-05-23 10:37 AM (#2402 - in reply to #2400)

Admin

That's a good idea!  I'll write something up for the blog or perhaps make it a permanent bit on the home page.  Maybe put it in the features row or something.  I'd love to get more participation since it makes the results better for everyone.  I've recently seen some poor tagging for books that don't have a lot of people contributing and I'd like to fix that.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)