open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Speak up, destiny, speak up! Destiny always seems decades away, but suddenly it's not decades away; it's right now. But maybe destiny is always right now, right here, right this very instant, maybe." - Walter M. Miller, Jr. - A Canticle for Leibowitz
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in March 2022
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2022-02-28 10:51 AM (#23866)
Subject: Our reads in March 2022

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books. Share your reading plans with us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2022-02-28 10:57 AM (#23867 - in reply to #23866)
Subject: Re: Our reads in March 2022

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR in March
SF/Fantasy reads
Philip Wylie - The Disappearance
N K Jemisin - Kingdom of Gods
Eric Frank Russell - Three to Conquer
C J Cherryh - Brothers of Earth
Martha Wells - Network Effect
E E Doc Smith - Second Stage Lensmen

classic short stories
Angela Carter - The Bloody Chamber
Ted Chiang - Story of Your Life
Fritz Leiber - Ill met in Lankhmar
Greg Bear - Blood Music

Edited by dustydigger 2022-02-28 10:59 AM
Fluke71
Posted 2022-02-28 4:53 PM (#23869 - in reply to #23866)

EMBASSYTOWN China Mieville
The Last Voyage of Skidbladnir Tidbeck
The Kaiju Preservation Society John Scalzi

Edited by Fluke71 2022-02-28 4:54 PM
daxxh
Posted 2022-03-01 8:59 AM (#23870 - in reply to #23869)

Extreme Veteran

My potential reads for March:

A Call to Insurrection - Weber, Zahn, Pope
Picnic at Hanging Rock - Lindsey
The Exiled Fleet - Dewes
The Fires of Heaven (Wheel of Time #5) - Jordan (maybe - I am not really in the mood for a 1000 page book of whining adolescent banter.)

I will probably listen to Duma Key by King. I am trying to get the 1000 pagers on CD.

A friend highly recommended Saturn Run by Sanford and Ctien. I might hunt for that one to read.

dustydigger
Posted 2022-03-01 4:12 PM (#23871 - in reply to #23870)

Elite Veteran

As an old pensioner on basic income I can rarely afford to buy books,so am always looking for free online content. Since I am on a short SF story kick at the moment, I was delighted to find this great resource. check out - https://www.freesfonline.net/Authors.html
Something for everyone on there I think.

Edited by dustydigger 2022-03-01 4:15 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-03-04 3:02 PM (#23881 - in reply to #23866)

Elite Veteran

Finished Kingdom of Gods,the final book in N K Jemisin's Inheritance saga. I prefer this series to the Hugo winning Broken Kingdoms. Much more complex plotting,intriguing characters who can surprise you,and enjoyable sort of riff on the Greek gods,and superb world building.
I am now reading Martha Wells Network Effect,to complete the Hugo list. Then it will be Sarah Pinsker's Song for a New Day,to complete all the Nebula winners
daxxh
Posted 2022-03-19 4:04 PM (#23887 - in reply to #23881)

Extreme Veteran

I have read the following so far this month-

The Gunslinger - actually a reread so that I can read the rest of the series. I remembered very little.

The Last Voyage of Skidbladner - good. Thanks for the recommendation, Fluke71.

Picnic at Hanging Rock - good.

New Spring - very good. Really enjoying The Wheel of Time Books.

Paladin of the Lost Hour - excellent. Not sure how I missed this one. Thanks for the link, Dusty.

Also read a Peter Shandy mystery and a fictional book that took place in my tiny hometown.

I am almost finished with A Call to Insurrection which is very good. I have started The Paradox Hotel because it is due soon. As usual, the library holds all came at once. I expect I will be trying to renew a couple. I am almost finished listening to Duma Key, which is very good so far. My reading time is already decreasing as the weather here is very nice and I am spending a lot of time outside. I need to slow down on the library holds and frequent the used bookstores a little less. (Probably not going to happen 😁

Edited by daxxh 2022-03-19 4:14 PM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-03-31 2:41 PM (#23899 - in reply to #23866)

Elite Veteran

Its been a very quiet month on WWEnd. I barely managed to complete half of my TBR,unusual for me
N K Jemisin - Kingdom of Gods. An OK read,but a slightly weak ending for the trilogy. But the worldbuilding was good,the strongest feature of the book

Martha Wells - Network Effect. A pleasant enough read,but I just dont see why it won all those awards!

We are Legion,and All These Worlds,both from Dennis E Taylor's Bobiverse series were bit repeititious and overlong,but a pleasant enough read.I seem to be damning with faint praise a lot! lol

Tamora Pierce's YA fantasy book Sandry's Book was very a nice oldfashioned fantasy read,.You can always rely on Pierce for interesting stories and sympathetic characters. I enjoyed it,though it wasnt really out of the ordinary'

My classic short stories were more interesting and rewarding.

Angela Carter - The Bloody Chamber..A decadent retelling of the Bluebeard story,,but I found the ending a little lame.But she did quite faithfully follow Perraut's 111690s version

Murray Leinster - Sidewise in Time. On of the earliest alternate worlds stories. It was a bit hit back in the 30s,and hugely influential.

Fritz Leiber - Ill Met in Lankhmar. Sword and sorcery isnt at all my cup of tea,but the odd teaming up of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser was quite fun.And a nice change from the grimly professional Conan,and the depressed and melancholy Eric of Melnibone!

And that was about it for the month.Ironically the classic Philip Wylie The Disappearance which I was looking forward to reading,plus a C J Cherryh book I had never read before have both somehow disappeared,I cant find them anywhere..Weird. Hope I find them soon.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)