open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
- (Added by: Administrator)

Our reads in August 2022
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2022-07-31 10:21 AM (#24100)
Subject: Our reads in August 2022

Elite Veteran

Another month,another pile of books. The TBR never goes down,does it?
Tell us what you will be reading this month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2022-07-31 10:25 AM (#24101 - in reply to #24100)
Subject: Re: Our reads in August 2022

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for August
SF/Fantasy
V E Schwab - A Conjuring of Light
Adam Tchaikovsky - Children of Time
Arthur C Clarke - Against the Fall of Night
Roger Zelazny - Roadmarks
Paul Cornell - London Falling
Harry Bates - Farewell to the Master
William Sleator - [House of Stairs]
from other genres
C S Lewis - The Problem of Pain
Rebecca York - Killing Moon
Lyndon Stacey - No Going Back
Pierre Berton - Drifting Home

Edited by dustydigger 2022-07-31 10:28 AM
daxxh
Posted 2022-07-31 3:10 PM (#24102 - in reply to #24101)

Extreme Veteran

August 2022 Books

Lady of Caladan - Brian Herbert, Kevin Anderson
Star Trek Picard Rogue Elements - John Jackson Miller
Mars Life - Ben Bova
Star Trek The Covenant of the Crown - Howard Weinstein
Star Trek The Prometheus Design - Sondra Marshak
The Exploits of Engelbrecht - Maurice Richardson
Saturn - Ben Bova

Other Genres
The Girl in His Shadow - Audrey Blake (Great Library Read)
Here, Right Matters - Alexander Vindman
An Owl Too Many - Charlotte MacLeod

I need to finish the 80s Challenge this month, so two of the Star Trek books will work for it and the Star Trek Challenge. I have already started Lady of Caladan - good so far.

Edited by daxxh 2022-07-31 3:12 PM
TheBlackYeti
Posted 2022-08-01 7:05 PM (#24103 - in reply to #24100)

Hopeful August Reads:

The Witch of Willow Hall by Hester Fox - I'm past halfway, really good so far.
Bones Crossed by Patricia Briggs - about a quarter in.
The Hammer of God by Arthur C. Clarke
Sea of Tranquility by Emily St. John
Void Star by Zachary Mason

That's about how much i usually get through but i've got my first Peter F. Hamilton Books and some older Clarke also on the physical TBR.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-08-07 10:44 AM (#24118 - in reply to #24103)

Elite Veteran

Hi Black Yeti,and welcome. I think one Hamilton book equals about 5 of other peoples books. I am a fan of the Mercy Thompson books but since covid I have not been to the library,and they dont have the books online,so I am a couple of books behind in the series.
An Arthur C Clarke book I havent read! And about asteroids aiming for earth. I do love me some destructive rocks etc falling from the sky. I am filling in gaps in my Clarke shelf,this month it is Against the Fall of Night,but I have a sneaking feeling Hammer of God may be next on the list
dustydigger
Posted 2022-08-07 10:49 AM (#24119 - in reply to #24100)

Elite Veteran

Hey daxxh,you have quite a list this month. I see you have Englebrecht on your list this month. He was my book of the month choice a few months ago,completely bonkers but enormous fu.
I have quite a list for this month,but havent read any nof them,have been binge rereading akindle unlimited Hornblower in Space sort of series,no literary merit whatsover but helpful in pulling myself out of a reading slump.Must get into finishing several books I am stalling with
TheBlackYeti
Posted 2022-08-08 10:39 PM (#24121 - in reply to #24118)

dustydigger - 2022-08-07 10:44 AM

Hi Black Yeti,and welcome. I think one Hamilton book equals about 5 of other peoples books. I am a fan of the Mercy Thompson books but since covid I have not been to the library,and they dont have the books online,so I am a couple of books behind in the series.
An Arthur C Clarke book I havent read! And about asteroids aiming for earth. I do love me some destructive rocks etc falling from the sky. I am filling in gaps in my Clarke shelf,this month it is Against the Fall of Night,but I have a sneaking feeling Hammer of God may be next on the list

It hasn't been my favorite Clarke! About 50% through and most of my enjoyment is knowing he's writing in the 90's (as an old man!) instead of the ~60's lol. It hasn't been bad or anything but it hasn't focused on the plot like i would've wanted. Though it seems like we're about to start focusing on the big space rock instead of what's happened to human civilization over the last 100 years. There was a fun joke about Bradbury being too optimistic setting a story in... 2001. Winkwink.

I'm now on book 5 of Mercy Thompson... whenever i pick the next one up. I've got Book Lovers going as my non sci-fi read atm. I've really enjoyed the series. Book 3 being my least favorite and book 4 being my favorite. Talk about a rebound. This is the second time i've made a decent number of books into an urban fantasy/romance series, the other one being The Hollows, and in both of them my favorite character has been raped. So that's a trend i'm not really appreciating.

Edited by TheBlackYeti 2022-08-08 10:40 PM
daxxh
Posted 2022-08-22 10:10 PM (#25010 - in reply to #24121)

Extreme Veteran

This month, I have read

Star Trek Picard Rogue Elements by John Jackson Miller - good.
The Waste Lands by Stephen King - much better than the previous book in this series.
Exhalation by Ted Chiang - short story - a good one.
Who's Afraid of Wolf 359 by Ken MacLeod - another good one.
Star Trek The Cry of the Onlies by Judy Klass - ok.
Upgrade by Blake Crouch - very good. I need to read more by this guy.

Also read some nongenre books this month.

I am halfway through The Lady of Caladan and have started Star Trek Black Fire. I hope to finish them this week.
dustydigger
Posted 2022-08-26 6:45 AM (#25020 - in reply to #25010)

Elite Veteran

Very poor reading much with regards to my TBR.what with health issues and incredible cost of living increases has led to a lack of focus for my SF goals. when life got too fraught I have retreated into silly light kindle unlimited books,.Only read a few of my original planned reads;

V E Schwab - A Conjuring of Light . It took me weeks,even months to get through this. Not sure if it was YA or adult. Pleasant enough characters,but too too long,nearly 700 pages!

Roger Zelazny - Roadmarks. Critics talk about how this is minor Zelazny,too scattered,too experimental. Couldnt care less,its one of my favourite Zelaznys,a fun book,and indeed a comfort read in these miserable times. Who wouldnt enjoy traveling down The Road,a highway stretching back in time to the dinosaurs,and forward for mforever. Follow any turnoff,it will take you to some historical time. Hey besides that intriguing concept we have an ancient alien robot,ninja warriors coming to assassinate the hero,numerous historical charcters,a dinosaur - and the dragons who created The Road. Just enormous fun.

William Sleator - House of Stairs. Intriguing premise about orphansbrought to a building whic only has staircases,and a food machine that ewards nasty behaviour,but its YA and a bit simplistic. However,I can see why teens would find it fascinating. For me,it raised memories of the notorious Stanford Prison Experiment of 1971. House of Stairs was published in 1974,so I assume the experiment was a major influence on the book,though I have no evidence of it.

And thats it for August,apart from books about a vampire hunter,or a young woman working as a janitor on a spaceship! lol.Or a couple of crime novels At the moment I am reading Jodi Taylor's light hearted time travel bit of nonsense,One Damned Thing After Another.A very light version of Connie Willis's Oxford Time Travel series,but fun when I cant cope with anything heavy.
I do want to read Harry Bates' Farewell to the Master,the basis of the film The Day the Earth Stood Still

Edited by dustydigger 2022-08-26 6:53 AM
dustydigger
Posted 2022-08-29 4:24 AM (#25029 - in reply to #25020)

Elite Veteran

Whizzed through Jodi Taylor's romp,Just One Damned Thing After Another. Enjoyable light froth. Now started the much darker urban fantasy/horror book,Paul Cornell's London Falling
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)