open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

Library of America
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> PublishersMessage format

Darling
Posted 2012-08-06 8:42 AM (#3948)
Subject: Library of America

I personally think this development is great for SF readers. A new edition of some golden age SF is being published in the Library of America. You can see the titles here: http://www.loa.org/volume.jsp?RequestID=370 . I like this because LOA's stated goal is to keep great American literature in print. Thus far, SF has received only spotty acknowledgement with publications by Lovecraft, Dick, Burroughs, and Vonnegut, along with some shorter stuff in anthologies. This is the first acknowledgement of a broader range of SF authorship as novelists including Bester, Leinster, Heinlein and others. I'll be buying this boxed set.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-07 2:45 AM (#3953 - in reply to #3948)
Subject: Re: Library of America

Elite Veteran

It is quite a good representative collection,isnt it.About 5 of them are unavailable to me through my library,so I better start saving the pennies.Lets hope the LoA gets a good response to this set,enough so as to encourage them to produce more.
So,folks,if they produced more from the 50s,what would you like to see there?
Darling
Posted 2012-08-08 9:42 AM (#3958 - in reply to #3948)

I too was glad to see some material that is not readily available come to light. I was surprised to see no Bradbury and no Asimov, especially Bradbury. Seems like something ought to make the cut. If I had to choose, I'd say Farenheit 451. I'd also like to see Alas, Babylon continue in publication.
Darling
Posted 2012-08-08 10:07 AM (#3959 - in reply to #3948)

oh yes, and Dorsai!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-08 2:15 PM (#3961 - in reply to #3948)

Elite Veteran

I am sure Bradbury will stay in print,especially after the tributes at his recent death.The LoA will probably find much of the 50s stuff too ''pulpy''.Wish I could have access to Leigh Brackett,and the great Theodore Sturgeon.More than Human never got awards,but is on just about every list there is.Yep,bring back Sturgeon please!
Havent actually read Dorsai.My brother gave me a couple many years ago,but I was off SF at the time,and gave them away....groan...
Darling
Posted 2012-08-09 9:01 PM (#3970 - in reply to #3948)

I've been reviewing the specialized website LoA has for this boxed set, LoA says they're not done, and by what I've seen on their timeline, I wouldn't be surprised if Bradbury didn't make it into their collection. I've never read Brackett, but I did recently aquire Sturgeon's Godbody (an excellent intro by Heinlein written about Sturgeon posthumously). They have a pretty strong sense that the 1940s were inferior to the 50s. Not sure I agree. I'd like to see them do a 40s collection. On their FB page many readers are suggesting a collection of short fiction to bring in more women. That would be good.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)