open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when you looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated." - Poul Anderson
- (Added by: Administrator)

Robert Silverberg
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

theman
Posted 2013-08-02 11:26 AM (#5478)
Subject: Robert Silverberg

Looking for some recommendations for Silverberg. I read Up the Line and loved it, couldn't put it down. Then couldn't care less about The World Inside past a few chapters. I read Dying Inside and thought it one of the best SF novels ever. Now I'm bored a few chapters into Tower of Glass.

So, is he hit or miss? or sometimes easy vs sometimes hard to read? Or am I just stumbling around the works of a very eclectic and versatile author?

Any relevant or irrelevant thoughts welcome.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-08-03 11:53 AM (#5482 - in reply to #5478)
Subject: Re: Robert Silverberg

Uber User

Silverberg was very prolific. Perhaps you don't like his more prosaic works dealing with contemporary issues (like high rise living, probably better done by J. G. Ballard). Try "Downward to the Earth" and "The Gate of Worlds". If you are into fantasy you could try "Lord Valentine's Castle".
charlesdee
Posted 2013-08-11 7:54 AM (#5506 - in reply to #5478)

Uber User

I think I have read a lot of Silverberg until I look at the list of works in the WWE database. Then I realize I have barely scratched the surface. Downward to the Earth is the best I have read, and it is very good indeed. For sheer weirdness you might try Thorns. I am not sure what it was about, but it was entertaining. I must have happened onto a trove of reprints of the pulpier novels he did in the fifties, because I have read a disproportionate amount of it. It is slight stuff, but with To Live Again he seems to have been hitting his stride.
Fried Egg
Posted 2014-06-17 6:06 AM (#7959 - in reply to #5478)

I too loved "Dying Inside" and I didn't rate "Tower of Glass" too highly either although I did finish it. Although apparently his "golden" period was from the late 60's to the mid 70's but I find that even from this period his work can be variable.

I would definitely recommend you read "The Book of Skulls" and "A Time of Changes".
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)