2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 1:59 AM (#5992)
Subject: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome everyone!

I wanted to give you a little more explanation of the why of this challenge.

I started by wondering how I could incorporate the last 4 books of my personal challenge to read all the Hugos. As I reflected on this, I realized all 4 books were the second or third book by an author whose previous winners I've already read. They are Connie Willis' "Blackout/All Clear", Vernor Vinge's "A Deepness in the Sky", CJ Cherryh's "Downbelow Station", and Lois McMaster Bujold's "Paladin of Souls". I couldn't use the Sequel or Universe challenges because "Paladin" is not a sequel to or part of the universe of the Vorkosigan Saga books I've read and I haven't read "Curse of Chalion", Willis' books are not sequels, but are part of the time travel universe, and so on.

Also, I have been dying to read more of Clifford Simak and Karen Lord, Connie Willis' non-time-travel books, Russell's sequel to "The Sparrow", and the rest of Wrede and Steverson's "Kate and Cecelia" series.

This challenge covers all these books which do not fit snuggly into the other challenges. I enjoy discovering new authors. My reading list is full of them. But I really have said to myself, "I just HAVE to read more of ______ " many times in the past two years. This gives me a chance to finally follow through on that.

So if you've said this to yourself as well, this is the challenge for you! I welcome you to join me in this challenge and share your discoveries and thoughts in this forum.

Steve Poltz
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HRO
Posted 2014-01-10 4:54 AM (#5993 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: Re: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I love this challenge and it lines up well with my reading plans for the year. I discovered Sheri S. Tepper last year and want to eventually read all of her works so there are several of her titles on this year's To Read Mountain. My #1 book last year was American Gods by Neil Gaiman, but I barely liked Anansi Boys, so I am decidedly curious about his other writing. I also want to read more Octavia Butler, Ursula K. LeGuin, and others.

Excellent idea and thank you!
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 9:59 AM (#5998 - in reply to #5993)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi HRO,

You're very welcome. I was second guessing myself about whether other folks would share this sentiment. So I'm really happy you had the same feelings and found this challenge worthwhile.

As for Neil Gaiman books, I'd like to recommend "The Graveyard Book". It's a YA horror novel that I found incredibly elegant and touching. I read it and loved it. Then I got the book on CD for a trip to drive my mother-in-law from Alaska to Oregon, and we all welled up with tears at the end.

Steve
Emil
Posted 2014-01-10 11:05 AM (#5999 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've always wanted to read more Guy Gavriel Kay and Philip K. Dick. Perfect timing!

Oh, and I cam't fault spoltz recommendation of "The Graveyard Book." It had the very same impact on me!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-10 11:38 AM (#6001 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ok, you've twisted my arm. I've added The Graveyard Book to the reading list. Thanks for the recommendation! My challenge list is now exclusively works by Gaiman, Sheri S. Tepper, Octavia Butler, and Ursula K. LeGuin. I think I'm gonna love this challenge!
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-10 6:48 PM (#6004 - in reply to #5999)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome aboard Emil! Thanks for participating in the challenge.

- Steve
pauljames
Posted 2014-01-11 6:20 AM (#6008 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I have signed up today. Nearly finished my 1st book of the year so my 1st review will follow soon after.

Really looking forward to this challenge.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-11 9:20 AM (#6010 - in reply to #6008)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Paul!
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-13 2:15 PM (#6057 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Couldnt resist joining this challenge.I already have a challenge off WWEnd where I have Neil Gaiman as my featured author of the year.I am always intrigued by Gaiman's variety of style and subject..I read his Preludes and Nocturnes last month,so I am eager to continue with the Sandman books.and several others.I could probably fill the whole challenge just with his books.
I too have read quite a few Hugos etc,and want to read other books by winners.Hence Fritz Leiber The Big Time,and Ballard's The Crystal world,which I hope to find as interesting as The Drowned World,Read several Iain M Banks last year,and really want to read Consider Phlebas,and possibly Use of Weapons...Also I want to read Greg Bear's Blood Music after reading Eon,and the finally part of Peter Hamilton's series about a psy detecctive,The Nano Flower
Thank you for posting this challenge where I can include so many many books already chosen for my reading this year,which didnt fit in other challenges.Its going to be a great year,I think! :0)
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-14 1:45 AM (#6061 - in reply to #6057)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Dusty! The challenges have opened me up to many new authors, but I thought it'd be nice to have a challenge that gives focuses on following up on some of the authors I've discovered and loved. Two of the books I have in my challenge are other books from authors I read for WOGF 2013. And from the Hugos, I'm all about Clifford Simak and Connie Willis.
Linguana
Posted 2014-01-15 3:19 AM (#6087 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I love this challenge.
Most of us here know how new publications can get in the way of favorite authors and their backlist. I discovered so many great writers last year in the WoGF challenge and promised myself I'd read more of them, but never got around to it. Thanks for creating this challenge, it's just the kick in the butt I need.

So far, I put these on my challenge list:
Nalo Hopkinson
China Miville
Guy Gavriel Kay
Margaret Atwood
Sarah Pinborough
Caitln R. Kiernan
Catherynne M. Valente
Terry Pratchett
Lauren Beukes

To be fair, I've been reading Valente and Pratchett non-stop during the last year. But they continue to be amazing and have written quite a lot of books, and thus need to be in this challenge.

Which leads me to my questions:
Is it okay to have read quite a few books by a writer already but still using one of their books for this challenge? I've read a handful of Discworld novels but I still get that feeling of having to read all of them.
And secondly: What if I discover an author in 2014 that fits this challenge. A great writer whose other books I immediately want to read. Would that count?

spoltz
Posted 2014-01-15 12:01 PM (#6097 - in reply to #6087)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Linguana,

Welcome to the challenge! The spirit of the challenge is to take the time to read books by authors you love, which you might not have without challenging yourself. And part of the point of the challenge for me was to be able to count towards a WWEnd challenge the four books I need to read to finish my personal Hugo challenge.

That said, in regards to your first question, I have Connie Willis and Vernor Vinge books on my list, even though I've previously read two books by each. And I noticed one participant has the 6th Harry Potter book, so more than likely, he's read the first five. So I think it's okay to read more books by Pratchett and Valente.

For your second question, you already have nine authors listed. If you only read one book by each, you only have three slots left. If you read more than one or books by Pratchett, Valente, etc., you have no room in the challenge for new authors discovered this year. So the question may be moot. But for argument's sake, let's say you find an author you just HAVE to read more of this year. Don't count the first book, but count the subsequent books.

Thanks for your questions! You brought up great points that I hadn't thought through.

Linguana
Posted 2014-01-15 2:43 PM (#6102 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Thank you.
Now I'm super excited and don't know which book to pick first.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-15 3:53 PM (#6103 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yes, I'm up to the sixth Harry Potter and since I started (a few years back) I'd like this to be the year I finish the series. I'd also like to get up to date with Vorkosigan series. More Charles Stross ( I have a bunch on my TBR), more Atwood including some that won't be on the DB like Alias Grace and The Robber Bride. And more Robert Holdstock who I first read last year and who was a wonderful find.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-16 1:38 PM (#6122 - in reply to #6103)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks for joining Justified. Good luck in the challenge! I added myself to your Second Best challenge :-) I've had my eyes on quite a few also-rans lately.
gallyangel
Posted 2014-01-16 5:34 PM (#6127 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

If you liked "The Graveyard Book" then Coraline should be added to the lists as well. Can't recommend it highly enough.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-17 4:47 AM (#6131 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

....black button eyes...aarrgghh!
Tantara
Posted 2014-01-22 9:57 PM (#6211 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

This challenge fits so well with my planned reading this year. I just had to sign up! Thanks for hosting.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-23 8:31 AM (#6214 - in reply to #6211)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Tantara! Enjoy the challenge!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-01-27 8:33 PM (#6256 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm working on my first challenge book tonight - Summer Knight (Dresden Files). I've been trying to get to the Dresden series for 2 years. I buy the audiobooks and then never get to it. Listened to the first 3 this past summer. I thought I had read 4, but now that I'm a few hours in, I have no recollection of the story, so I think 3 was the last reread. My goal is to get caught up before the next book comes out. I'll have to think of the next author. I have so many to get to.
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-27 11:32 PM (#6257 - in reply to #6256)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome aboard ManyMoons! I've been thinking about picking up the Dresden Files books for a while. I know lots of people that absolutely love them. Good luck in your challenge and have fun!
jfrantz
Posted 2014-02-06 7:30 PM (#6376 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

This challenge is too hard to choose books for :-)

I've started PKD's A Scanner Darkly. I'd really like to read some fantasy from Zelazny. More Simak for me too. Beyond that, it's going to be really hard to choose!

Nice Challenge Steve!

- Jeremy
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-07 10:34 AM (#6380 - in reply to #6376)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks Jeremy! I'm glad you're able to join the challenge. I've been wanting to read more Zelazny myself. "Lord of Light" is one of my all-time favorites. And I definitely need to read more PKD. Interestingly, the two of them wrote a book together, "Deus Irae". A friend of mine from work is a big Zelazny fan and really liked it.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-07 6:13 PM (#6386 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Read 'Deus Irae' many moons ago. Don't remember much about it except it would be good for the End of the World challenge.
pauljames
Posted 2014-02-08 4:16 AM (#6399 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I have just finished Hyperion and am trying to think what I would like to say in my review. It is definitely one of the best books I have read.
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-08 10:01 AM (#6403 - in reply to #6399)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I really enjoyed Hyperion. I don't have any Simmons books on my list, but I definitely want to read more of him. I enjoyed the horror/SF combination.
Allie
Posted 2014-02-13 12:18 PM (#6460 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

This challenge is such a good idea. There are so many authors that have more books I've been meaning to get around to and just haven't yet; N.K. Jemisin, Jon Armstrong, Lauren Beukes, Karen Lord, James S.A. Corey, Christopher Barzak, Mary Gentle, Mary Doria Russell, Hannu Rajaniemi... I think this challenge will be easy to pick books for :D.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-02-13 2:15 PM (#6461 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've been thinking about this one today, too, and I've decided to make it my 10th challenge. I've decided to go for 12 different writers, and to ty to make them all people who have a relatively large number of books I haven't read. I made a list of possible candidates, and there about 25 of them so far. I only hope I can get some good crossovers with other challenges, or I'm really in trouble.
spoltz
Posted 2014-02-17 8:13 AM (#6488 - in reply to #6461)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome Allie and Doc! I've read many reviews from both of you and have always appreciated them.

I've signed up for three other challenges myself. I figured I'd start there and reevaluate where I am with these in June. If I can l finish a couple of these challenges while working full time and taking an intro to Python programming class, I'll sign up for a few more.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-03-17 9:10 AM (#6725 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

My list of possible candidates for this challenge fall into three categories:

A) Authors I have discovered recently, who have relatively large unexplored backlists full of books in the Lists and Awards. This includes people like Ursula Le Guin, who I'd managed to miss until I read Left Hand of Darkness in my Hugo read-through two or three years ago. (I didn't even like that, much, but fortunately I loved The Dispossessed, which I read a bit later in the same project). Also Connie Willis, and, most recently, Patricia A McKillip.

B) People who I used to follow but inexplicably stopped reading. This includes (for shame) Gene Wolfe and Ken Macleod. I read pretty much everything by Wolfe up to 1994's Calde of the Long Sun, and then nothing at all since, not even the conclusion to the Long Sun series (which I've only recently acquired). My excuse is that he hasn't been well-served by publishers in the UK. Likewise with Macleod, I read everything up to 2002's Engine City, and nothing since. I'm debating whether I should allow Iain M Banks here, but I'm not sure I fell far enough behind. I'll probably include him if it makes the difference between finishing and not finishing.

C) People who I read and liked one or two books by over the years, but never really got stuck in. This includes Adam Roberts and Paul MacAuley, both of whom I read way back when and who went on to have good careers without me really paying attention.

And maybe Alastair Reynolds deserves a special D category: People I consider myself a fan of, but haven't really read all that much by.

Really, I see this challenge as a reason to read things I've been putting off for too long. I mentioned above that I'm going for 12 different writers. I'm already behind schedule, and I'm focusing on the WoGF right now, but I'm looking forward to getting going on this one.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-17 12:56 PM (#6727 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

DrNefario,
I like your philosophy. I'm not sure that I could articulate mine as well. I came up with a similar type of philosophy for the Bucket List challenge. However, what you have said just made me come up with one rule for me: I should not include books on both this challenge and the Bucket List.
Rhonda
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-03-17 1:36 PM (#6728 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm using my challenge for just one author. I am always randomly picking books and never finish a series. So its Dresden Files. I'm hoping to be caught up before his next book comes out.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-17 2:15 PM (#6729 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

ManyMoons, That is a great approach as well. I've not read any of the Dresden Files, but I always think that I should.
Rhonda
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-04-19 8:13 AM (#7268 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I'm now more than half way on my goal. Just 4 books left and one, a book of short stories, is already 1/3 done. The next Dresden Files book comes out at the end of May, so I have just under 6 weeks. But, with my other series challenges to finish yet this month, I dunno. I'm not sure I can get those done before then. On the other hand, our late blizzard has delayed the stuff I have to do in the Spring, so maybe.
spoltz
Posted 2014-04-19 9:04 AM (#7269 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

ManyMoons, congrats on your progress. I have two to go, but I just picked up 4 books at the library for other challenges. I've ended up joining 5 other challenges as well, and keep on rearranging my reading list to try to find the optimum combination of books so that have the least number of books to read. And tying that to what I can get from library makes it like a gigantic poker hand. Now that I'm working full time and taking a programming class, I don't have as much time for pleasure reading as I thought I'd have. Yet through all this, I keep trying to see if I can overlap into other challenges.

To all the participants, great job on your progress through the first third of the year on this and all your other challenges!
pauljames
Posted 2014-05-18 11:12 AM (#7720 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I am currently on my 6th book for this challenge and have done 4 reviews. Would like to read and review 12 books for this challenge. Some readers are close to finishing this challenge. Hope everyone achieves their goals and read some great books on the way.
spoltz
Posted 2014-05-18 11:33 AM (#7721 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

It's only May, so you're ahead of the one-a-month game, PaulJames. However, there's a lot of people doing multiple challenges so people who are behind in this challenge may be ahead in others. Some of the books in my challenge were short juvenile books, others are part of other challenges, and I read on my train commute and on my lunch hour, and I was unemployed in January, so I've started out like gangbusters. But I'm always behind in my reviews by about 3 books.

Thanks for participating in this challenge Paul! Good luck on hitting your goal and have fun!
spoltz
Posted 2014-06-05 4:09 PM (#7900 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. We just got our 26th participant about a week ago. And we also have our first finisher, Daxxh. Congratulations! There are several who are within a few of finishing as well. As we approach the halfway mark of the year, I wish everyone continued good wishes and enjoyment on this and all your reading challenges!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-07-01 4:17 PM (#8045 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

I am happy to report that I completed this challenge!! My first! My challenge was to read all the Dresden Files books I had left to read. I still have to read the recently published "Skin Games", and a bunch of short stories, but at least I'm caught up with a challenge. Yay! Looks like there are 3 of us done now,which is pretty good with half the year gone.
spoltz
Posted 2014-07-01 5:00 PM (#8048 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congratulations MM! I finished just about a week or so ago, and Daxxh finished at the beginning of the month. Seeing your row of Dresden books in the Challenge inspired me consider reading the series next year!
pauljames
Posted 2014-07-13 10:24 AM (#8183 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Have recently finished my sixth book and posted my review. Book was hard work, very worthwhile but took me two months. I am quite a slow reader. Only have a couple more books at the moment so need to purchase more to complete this excellent challenge. Probably will try to mix it and read some SF, horror, fantasy.
spoltz
Posted 2014-07-14 10:52 AM (#8184 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Wow, you picked some really long books. First Coldheart Canyon, then Assassin's Quest. Congrats on finishing it. You're halfway there!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-07-14 3:01 PM (#8189 - in reply to #8183)
Quote Reply

Yes, it's so tough to get through some books. Either the plot is very complex, there are a LOT of characters or life is just taking up your time and you can only get a chapter or two in each day.
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-06 5:05 PM (#8684 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to give a 3rd quarter update. Congratulations to Dr Nefario, justifiedsinner, and Arrenby for completing the challenge! That makes 6 finishers so far, including ManyMoons, daxxh, and myself. There are 6 people have 3 or less books left. The rest have a few more :-) and it looks like some never quite got going.

Whether you're almost done or far behind, I hope everyone is enjoying the books they've been able to read so far and looking forward to getting a few more read by the end of the year!

Have fun and have a happy autumn!
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-08 12:23 PM (#8702 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Reviewing the list today, it looks like Couchtomoon just finished as well. Congrats!
spoltz
Posted 2014-10-15 12:32 PM (#8764 - in reply to #8702)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Two items of note.

BadSeedGirl finished the challenge. Congratulations!

And we've just gotten our 27th participant!

Steve
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-10-21 11:05 AM (#8800 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have now officially completed the challenge because I have posted the last review I had written for the books read. I loved this challenge because it gave me an excuse to read some of those authors I had sitting on my wish list but had not touched again!
ManyMoons
Posted 2014-10-21 12:11 PM (#8802 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Congratulations Badseedgirl. Also, LOVE your quote. I might have to use that somewhere for a week or two.
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-10 10:38 AM (#8849 - in reply to #5992)
Subject: RE: 2014 I Just HAVE To Read More Of That Author Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Controuble who finished the challenge!
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-28 1:49 PM (#8939 - in reply to #8849)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Rhonda K for finishing!
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-28 1:53 PM (#8941 - in reply to #6399)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I created two threads outside one, which acknowledged a few more people. So I'll give them recognition within here.

DustyDigger finished a few weeks ago.

We also got a new participant who joined us having already completed the challenge. Scott Laz.

Congrats you two!

And I hope everyone from the US who's participating had a good Thanksgiving!
spoltz
Posted 2014-11-30 7:20 PM (#8949 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Emil for finishing!
pauljames
Posted 2014-12-06 9:36 AM (#8978 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Am now starting my final book. This is my only challenge and really really enjoyed it. Will post my reviews for those I have not done yet on my next hol. Some books were good some wre very good and some were exceptional. Now gonna read my first book by M John Harrison.
jontlaw
Posted 2014-12-22 6:04 PM (#9038 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Finished. Here they are:

Based on having read C.J. Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy as part of last year's female authors challenge, this year I read the Pride of Chanur and Chanur's Venture, first two of a five-book series. I'll get to the rest next year.

Based on having read the first four last year, also in the female author's challenge, I finished Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate series by reading Timeless.

Based on having read Cherie Priest's Boneshaker last year, I read the five remaining books in the Clockwork Century series, and included two here, Dreadnought and Ganymede.

Based on having read the first three books in George Mann's Newbury and Hobbes series, I picked up another series of his and read Ghosts of Manhattan and Ghosts of War.

Based on having read Scott Westerberg's Leviathan earlier this year, I finished the series and read Behemoth and Goliath.

Based on having read Kurt Vonnegut's Sirens of Titan earlier this year, I also read for this challenge (and others) Cat's Cradle, and then also Slaughterhouse Five. And I have most of the rest of his to get to soon.

Based on having once, long ago, read Philip K. Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, and earlier this year Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said, I also read for this challenge (and others) A Scanner Darkly. And I have about ten more I'll try to get to next year.

Based on having previously read the entire Father Brown series, among other books by G.K. Chesterton, this year I read The Man Who Was Thursday.

spoltz
Posted 2014-12-23 10:01 AM (#9042 - in reply to #9038)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to jontlaw!
pauljames
Posted 2014-12-24 7:32 AM (#9044 - in reply to #9042)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Recently finished my challenge. Still going to post my reviews for three of the books. Three of the books I read really stood out. Hyperion, Assassin's Quest and The Way of Kings. Will post more of my thoughts on these exceptional books in the future.

I am now working out the details for my own RYO mini challenge next year.
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-24 8:57 AM (#9045 - in reply to #9044)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats Paul!
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-27 9:30 AM (#9049 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Congrats to Allie for finishing!
Allie
Posted 2014-12-27 10:25 AM (#9050 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks! I'm still missing a few summaries that might not make it up until 2015, but they'll be along at some point. Here's my summary:

Based on reading and enjoying Leviathan Wakes, I read the next two books in James S.A. Corey's series. I'm hoping to read Cibola Burn (and whatever the next one is) next year. This series is just so much fun.

Based on enjoying Snow Crash and the Diamond Age, I read Neal Stephenson's Anathem. I loved this one, and am working on finishing my review today. I'm planning on continuing his work with the Baroque Cycle next year.

Based on enjoying Spin and The Chronoliths, I read Robert Charles Wilson's Axis. I'll read the final book of the Spin trilogy, Vortex, next year. I think The Chronoliths is still my favorite of his novels, which I guess means I have weird taste (it seems like everyone I've spoken to likes Spin the best).

Based on enjoying The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, I read the second two books in N.K. Jemisin's fantasy trilogy. I'm now caught up with all her books, but it looks like she has another (The Fifth Season) coming out sometime next year.

Based on enjoying Tim Power's novels (Declare and Anubis Gates), I read Dinner at Deviant's Palace, which is a seriously weird book.

Based on enjoying the first of Valente's YA Fairyland series with cumbersome titles, I read the second one. I thought it wasn't quite as neat as the first, but I still liked it.

Based on my fondness for Discworld, I read Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal". There are so many more Discworld novels that I have left to read!

Based on my enjoyment of The Prestige (book & movie), I read Christopher Priest's The Islanders. I thought it was really fun, though it definitely isn't a traditional novel.

Based on my love of Moxyland and Zoo City, I read Lauren Beukes The Shining Girls. It was pretty much a completely different genre (mystery-horror?), and while I enjoyed it... I like Beukes's SF more.

Based on my enjoyment of Max Gladstone's Three Parts Dead, I read Two Serpents Rise (the next in his Craft series). I didn't like it as much as the first, but it was still interesting enough for me to want to continue reading his work.

And to Jontlaw: I'm planning to read The Faded Sun next year, it's good to hear that you liked them! I thought the Leviathan trilogy was pretty fun .
spoltz
Posted 2014-12-31 11:37 AM (#9074 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey everyone! It's December 31st and time to wrap up our challenge. We had 16 finishers, though a few of the participants didn't write the request number of reviews. But whether you completed the challenge or just got a few books read, I hope that everyone enjoyed getting a chance to spend more time with authors they may not have read more of without some motivation. By participating in other challenges, I've discovered more new authors, so my own list of authors in whose works I want to delve deeper grows longer and longer. I'll probably run this challenge again in 2015 because I bought 9 used paperbacks at Orycon (the Oregon SF Convention) by classic authors like Silverberg, Delaney, and Simak. I may also be hosting a Tolkien challenge. I want to read The Hobbit and LOTR again, and finally attempt The Silmarillion, his Beowulf translation and analysis, and some of the works his son edited and published. I'm thinking there may be a few other folks in our community who might also like to read some more Tolkien but haven't yet. I hope to see you in one of my challenges next year. If not I'm sure I'll see many of you in the forum.

Thanks again for participating. I wish you all a happy and healthy new year!
pauljames
Posted 2015-01-01 9:49 AM (#9083 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I just realised my favourite books from this challenge are all a part of a series.

I have now finished Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy so have no more of that to look forward to. I will try to read more of her in the future although when I have no idea as my current pace is very slow. I am really looking forward to the follow-ups to Hyperion and The Way of Kings, probably more the latter as the first is such a very dark tale.

I got many new books over the holiday so have a lot to get stuck into for 2015.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-01-01 2:08 PM (#9089 - in reply to #5992)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I had a great time doing this challenge,especially reading Neil Gaiman's books. The Sandman just blew my mind! If I could locate the books,I fancy doing some reading from Clifford Simak this coming year. Hope you will repeat the challenge!