open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Your mind's always juggling, isn't it?--mirrors, torches, plates. Ray Bradbury (The Fire Balloons)
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

New Feature: My RYO Reading Challenges
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2016-03-05 11:07 AM (#12898)
Subject: New Feature: My RYO Reading Challenges
Quote Reply

Admin

Yesterday we added a new feature that we've been picking at for the last couple months:

This is a new page in your My World section that combines all your RYO Reading Challenges onto a single page so you can more easily see how you're doing overall.  You won't have to jump from challenge page to challenge page to see where you're at anymore.

The other nice thing about the new page is that other folks can see what other challenges you're doing too.  So when you see someone in one of your challenges and you want to see what else they're doing you can click their profile image and it will take you to their My RYO page.

This new page is not quite finished yet but we wanted to get it out there anyway.  We'll be adding a stats table at the top that will show:

• number of challenges
  • books selected but not yet read
  • total books read 
  • total challenge slots
  • number of empty slots to fill

As soon as we had the page working I went to test and those were the questions that immediately came to mind so we figure you'll want to know those answers too.  If you can think of another stat you'd like to see please let us know.  We'll also be adding a year link so you'll be able to review your challenges from last year too.

The goal here is to make it easier for you to manage your challenges.  For you uber readers with dozens of challenges going this will be particularly helpful!  Take a look and let us know what you think.  Be sure to peek in on some other WWEnders you know too.  You might be surprised to see just how many books some folks are going to read this year. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-03-05 12:54 PM (#12899 - in reply to #12898)
Subject: RE: New Feature: My RYO Reading Challenges
Quote Reply

Uber User

Neat!!  It looks like I still have a lot of reading I need to do this year...

I noticed that the visibility of the My World drop-down menu option that allows you to see your challenge recap seems to be only intermittently available - I can only see the menu option when I'm viewing the forums!  Strangely, this is true only for my own profile - if I select another user's profile from the page of a book that they have rated, I can see the RYO menu option for that person.

Also, it looks like the RYO option needs to be added to the option list that shows in the upper right of the My Profile page.

Lastly, an unrelated thing - when I've selected Blog from the menu bar, the My World drop-down menu options are disabled (not visible).

Administrator
Posted 2016-03-05 10:24 PM (#12905 - in reply to #12899)
Quote Reply

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2016-03-05 12:54 PM

Neat!!  It looks like I still have a lot of reading I need to do this year...

I noticed that the visibility of the My World drop-down menu option that allows you to see your challenge recap seems to be only intermittently available - I can only see the menu option when I'm viewing the forums!  Strangely, this is true only for my own profile - if I select another user's profile from the page of a book that they have rated, I can see the RYO menu option for that person.

Also, it looks like the RYO option needs to be added to the option list that shows in the upper right of the My Profile page.

Lastly, an unrelated thing - when I've selected Blog from the menu bar, the My World drop-down menu options are disabled (not visible).

Take a look now and see if it's working properly.  I left some code in there that hid the link from non-admin users so it was showing OK for me.

The blog section is actually a different website and we can't put user-coded links on it so there is no drop down for My World in the blog menu. 

Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-03-05 10:36 PM (#12906 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Uber User

OK, that's fixed it  - thanks!

Will you be adding the RYO option to the option list that shows in the upper right of the My Profile page?

Administrator
Posted 2016-03-05 10:46 PM (#12907 - in reply to #12906)
Quote Reply

Admin

Engelbrecht - 2016-03-05 10:36 PM

OK, that's fixed it  - thanks!

Will you be adding the RYO option to the option list that shows in the upper right of the My Profile page?

Cool.  The My RYO image is the link so we don't need a second one in the bullet list.

Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-03-05 11:15 PM (#12910 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Uber User

It was so obvious that I missed it - sorry! 
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-06 1:26 PM (#12913 - in reply to #12898)
Subject: Re: New Feature: My RYO Reading Challenges
Quote Reply

Admin

bump
Weesam
Posted 2016-03-06 4:29 PM (#12915 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey, this is a great new feature. So much easier than jumping in and out of challenges to see where I am up to, particularly as I have way too many challenges!
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-09 10:42 AM (#12936 - in reply to #12915)
Quote Reply

Admin

Weesam - 2016-03-06 4:29 PM Hey, this is a great new feature. So much easier than jumping in and out of challenges to see where I am up to, particularly as I have way too many challenges!

I thought you would like it of all people  Having them all layer out on the same page should make it easier to plug in those books that satisfy multiple challenges too.

Weesam
Posted 2016-03-10 3:02 PM (#12952 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I love that it is grouping all the books I've read together, followed by all the books I haven't read. This is awesome and so easy to see what I still have to read. However, there is just a little thing - it is currently alphabetising on the initial articles (the, a). Is it possible to alphabetisise and ignore these articles?
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-10 7:36 PM (#12954 - in reply to #12952)
Quote Reply

Admin

Weesam - 2016-03-10 3:02 PM I love that it is grouping all the books I've read together, followed by all the books I haven't read. This is awesome and so easy to see what I still have to read. However, there is just a little thing - it is currently alphabetising on the initial articles (the, a). Is it possible to alphabetisise and ignore these articles?

We have a whole list of "sorting issues" for around the site and that's already on the list.  We're planning to have a "sorting day" get together where we knock all those out but I can't make any guess on when that will happen.  I'll add that to the list of updates we have for the My RYO so perhaps it will get done with those.  No time table for that either, sorry.

dustydigger
Posted 2016-03-11 8:15 AM (#12959 - in reply to #12954)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

This is really helpful! That monthly counting all my books etvc was a time consuming pain,hopping from page to page of the challenges.
Havent added many challenges so far this year,because of waiting for my knee op,dont want to add a load of challenges and then not complete them. By the summer I should know the score and maybe add more.
This site goes from strength to strength. Many thanks for all your hard work.Especially whargoul. Do you ever let him out of the computer room?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2016-03-11 8:47 AM (#12960 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Love it. The instant "see it at a glance" design is the best design feature of the site.
spectru
Posted 2016-03-12 11:25 AM (#12972 - in reply to #12960)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Glad to see it.

Would it be feasible to add past challenges to the list?
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-12 11:38 AM (#12973 - in reply to #12972)
Quote Reply

Admin

spectru - 2016-03-12 11:25 AM Glad to see it. Would it be feasible to add past challenges to the list?

Yes!  I forgot to mention that up top.  We'll add links for past years.

dalex
Posted 2018-01-02 9:51 AM (#16628 - in reply to #12898)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Administrator - 2016-03-05 12:07 PM

We'll be adding a stats table at the top that will show:

• number of challenges
  • books selected but not yet read
  • total books read 
  • total challenge slots
  • number of empty slots to fill

Just wondering whatever happened with the idea of the stats table?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)