open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Administrator)

What are you reading in April?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-10 5:27 PM (#6982)
Subject: What are you reading in April?

Uber User

My intention is to focus my attentions on my "The Counting hall be Three Challenge"

Patricia Wrede and Caroline Stevermer's
The Grand Tour or the Purloined Coronation Regalia
The Mislaid Magician or Ten Years Later

Joe McKinney's
Dead City
Flesh Eaters
Apocalypse of the Dead

Besides these I have from the library
Jesse Petersen's 4th "Living With The Dead" novel - The Zombie Whisperer

The First novel in Pip Ballantine's very funny "Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences" Series - Phoenix Rising

Patrick Rothfuss - The Name of the Wind

and as always whatever else I feel like reading.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-10 8:33 PM (#6991 - in reply to #6982)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in April?

Uber User

Reading Geoff Ryman's Air. Slow going at the moment.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-10 9:25 PM (#6997 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Read Aliette de Bodard's Servant of the Underworld and Octavia Butler's Parable of the Talents. Both very good.

Reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making at the moment. It's delightful, like Discworld meets literary surrealism.

Next I'll probably be reading Karen Lord's Redemption in Indigo, Mary Robinette Kowal's Glamour in Glass, Caitlin Kiernan's The Drowning Girl, and either Nicola Griffith's Hild or Mary Doria Russell's Children of God, both of which are doorstoppers.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-10 9:35 PM (#6999 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

After March with KSR's Rice and Salt and Simmon's Hyperion, I've decided to go "lighter," in subject matter, gravitas and page count. Thus far, I've loved all the April books: Walton's Among Others, Barker's Abarat, and Doctorow's Little Brother. Right now I'm reading E. Nesbit's Five Children and It, the first part of a trilogy, which is not in WWE yet. i hope we can add Nesbit as an author soon because I want to do a blog on her. I will be reading more of her YA books this month. I'm also reading Suskind's Perfume, because, you know Very British YA books about manners and books about 18th century Parisian serial killers ARE perfect in combination. After those, probably Charnas's first Holdfast book, whose name escapes me and something by Diana Wynne Jones.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-11 8:09 AM (#7010 - in reply to #6997)

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - 2014-04-11 3:25 AM

Reading The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making at the moment. It's delightful, like Discworld meets literary surrealism.
Me too! I'm finding it quite hard-going, myself. It doesn't seem to have much of a direction, so far, just a series of things happening. This is quite common in books for younger readers, but I like a bit more drive to keep me engaged. I guess I wasn't really in the mood, but it's a library book so I have to read it now.

The only book I've finished so far this month was Jhereg by Steven Brust, which was a new purchase I just decided I wanted to read, and which happened to count for the Book Ones challenge.

I don't really know what's next. I feel like there's no longer any pressure on the Book Ones or WoGF. I ought to be able to finish both without really trying from here, given that the Valente counts for both. I should probably try to get one of my longer books read. I've been meaning to start The Time Ships for about two months, and keep putting it off, but I think I might actually try to read The Time Machine first (which I might have read, but can't remember - I've certainly read at least two other sequels-by-other-hands: Morlock Night by KW Jeter and The Space Machine by Christopher Priest).
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-11 8:48 AM (#7013 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Yanno, I've tried reading at least two of Valente's adult books, and I just could not with them after a few pages of the sample. Too postmodern for me I guess? But Fairyland works for me. I love the dialogue/internal monologues, September's Somewhat Heartlessness, the wyverary with doubtful parentage, the bicycle herd. Lack of causality usually bothers me but somehow it works for me here. I suppose it adds to the surrealism.

So far there've been two books I've had to put down though. The first was Kiernan's The Drowning Girl, which I think was mostly because I'd just finished her The Red Tree and it was my favorite book in at least a year. The second was Justina Robson's Natural History, which was thoroughly engaging except that it was just too hard of sci-fi, I think. I had too difficult of a time following what was going on.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-04-11 8:48 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-11 6:01 PM (#7037 - in reply to #7010)

Uber User

DrNefario - 2014-04-11 8:09 AM

FeminineFantastique - 2014-04-11 3:25 AM

Me too! I'm finding it quite hard-going, myself. It doesn't seem to have much of a direction, so far, just a series of things happening. This is quite common in books for younger readers, but I like a bit more drive to keep me engaged. I guess I wasn't really in the mood, but it's a library book so I have to read it now.

The only book I've finished so far this month was Jhereg by Steven Brust, which was a new purchase I just decided I wanted to read, and which happened to count for the Book Ones challenge.

I don't really know what's next. I feel like there's no longer any pressure on the Book Ones or WoGF. I ought to be able to finish both without really trying from here, given that the Valente counts for both. I should probably try to get one of my longer books read. I've been meaning to start The Time Ships for about two months, and keep putting it off, but I think I might actually try to read The Time Machine first (which I might have read, but can't remember - I've certainly read at least two other sequels-by-other-hands: Morlock Night by KW Jeter and The Space Machine by Christopher Priest).

I have started Fairyland at least twice, and have gotten exactly nowhere with it, but I plan to revisit it. I seems flat to me. I guess that is the problem I am having with it. It lacks passion. It does not help matters that fantasy is just not my genre.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-12 4:35 AM (#7059 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

I finished it this morning. If I'm not really clicking with something but feel I "have" to read it, I tend to just plow through it so I can get to something else. Anyway, I thought the second half was much stronger, when September started to act, rather than merely be there.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-12 2:02 PM (#7077 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Nefario, I agree.

I finished it this afternoon, and can't wait to read the next one. But I don't have it yet, and I do have Redemption in Indigo, The Drowning Girl, Children of God, and some others, so... trying to have self-discipline.
daxxh
Posted 2014-04-14 9:56 PM (#7169 - in reply to #7077)

Extreme Veteran

So far, I've read Mendoza in Hollywood and Divergent. Mendoza in Hollywood is the third of Kage Baker's Company novels, and the one I have liked the least so far. Divergent was ok, but not as good as some of my friends made it sound. I'm not really a fan of young adult fiction. I don't think I was a fan of young adult fiction when I was a "young adult."

I'm currently reading Annihilation, which is excellent and Ash, which is ok. (I'm getting really tired of wardrobe descriptions and wardrobe changes - I swear half the book is about clothing.) I have Servant of the Underworld, Hild and Shikasta to read, all library holds, so I have to read them before they're due. I suspect that I will really like Servant of the Underworld - a murder mystery set in the Aztec empire. How cool is that!?
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-15 7:13 AM (#7174 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

If I'd known The Time Machine was so short, I might have read it sooner.

I've moved on to Surface Detail by Iain Banks now, which is the longest book on my provisional challenge list (since I decided Mary Gentle's Ash was a bit much), narrowly edging out The Time Ships. It could last me till the end of the month.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-15 12:53 PM (#7188 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Daxxh, I read Servant of the Underworld a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.

For the latter half of April -- well, I went back to The Drowning Girl. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it looks like the plot is finally starting, so yay. After this it's between Children of God, Redemption in Indigo, and the next Fairyland book. I am really not reading fast enough to keep up. It's not my reading speed -- I finish most books in two or three days -- but the time off I tend to take between books.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-04-15 12:57 PM
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-15 10:00 PM (#7197 - in reply to #7188)

Extreme Veteran

Oh this is a fun forum! I joined too many challenges but it gives me purpose while the east coast faces another dreary day. I did make it through Gentle's Ash but thought it could have been better at half the length. Generally I love her writing. Fairyland... Well I'm glad I had it on Audio. The writing was lush but it became too much after a while for me.

I just finished Wolfhound Century which I thought was amazing. The language set the atmosphere so well and I could feel the heaviness of the totalitarian government as well as the omnipotent rain (kinda like here lol) and the narrator was excellent. Just started listening to Blue Remembered Earth. Neither book is on a challenge list though. Guess I needed a break. But I am reading the Killing Moon by Jeminson for the LGBT RYO. I really liked her Hundred Thousand Kingdom but I might like this better. There's more subtlety and complexity in the characters' emotions.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-15 10:00 PM (#7198 - in reply to #7188)

Extreme Veteran

Oh this is a fun forum! I joined too many challenges but it gives me purpose while the east coast faces another dreary day. I did make it through Gentle's Ash but thought it could have been better at half the length. Generally I love her writing. Fairyland... Well I'm glad I had it on Audio. The writing was lush but it became too much after a while for me.

I just finished Wolfhound Century which I thought was amazing. The language set the atmosphere so well and I could feel the heaviness of the totalitarian government as well as the omnipotent rain (kinda like here lol) and the narrator was excellent. Just started listening to Blue Remembered Earth. Neither book is on a challenge list though. Guess I needed a break. But I am reading the Killing Moon by Jeminson for the LGBT RYO. I really liked her Hundred Thousand Kingdom but I might like this better. There's more subtlety and complexity in the characters' emotions.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-15 10:31 PM (#7199 - in reply to #7198)

Extreme Veteran

Oops-double clicked. And misspelled Jemisin.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-16 7:15 AM (#7208 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Wolfhound Century is one of the books I originally had in my list, and want to read fairly soon, but became superfluous thanks to later additions. I'm probably going to read it anyway. It will count for the Book Ones challenge.

I also have Blue Remembered Earth on my list, for the Book Ones, Read More of that Author and Second Best challenges. Both books were in the running for my current read, but I went for Surface Detail instead, in the end. I'm going to have far too many Book Ones, to be honest. I was considering swapping BRE out for a different Reynolds.
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-16 11:45 AM (#7217 - in reply to #6982)

Extreme Veteran

I've loved all of Reynold's previous books. BRE sounds significantly different though. When I first read a review I wasn't sure I'd like it but than another review said it was lovely to have a more optimistic view of the future and I thought that might be a good thing! I just started so I'm uncertain about the story line thus far.

What challenges are you doing? That's a general questions for everyone.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-16 1:35 PM (#7221 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Well, I finished The Drowning Girl. It was good, but I didn't love it half as much as I loved The Red Tree (though the books I do love as much as The Red Tree I could count on half a hand, so take that for what it's worth). Not sure what I'll be in the mood for next -- probably more fairyland.

Dlw, good choice re: The Killing Moon.

I'm doing the following challenges: 12 Awards, 2nd best, Authors of Color, LGBT, End of the World, Creature Feature, Faerie Mythology, Read the Sequel, and Mythopoeic. And I'm reading all lady authors so WoGF as well. There's a lot of overlap. I think I've got just under 40 books to go. If I can get my average down to 4 books a month or so, I'll probably go for short fiction as well. There're several novellas and anthologies that I want to read.

Edited by FeminineFantastique 2014-04-16 1:37 PM
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-16 1:56 PM (#7224 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

I'm doing 12 Awards, 2nd Best, Authors of Color, LGBT, End of the World, In Translation, Marxists, etc., the 35, Short Fiction, Fantasia, I Have to Read More By and Bucket List.
I've already completed Pick and Mix and the Guardian. (However, i might try to keep up with Guardian books, to see if I can double up.)
I'd like to also do The Ones, WoGF, Masterworks and YA, but I will not let myself join until I've read several books the fulfill those criteria for other challenges.
It all sounds rather insane doesn't it?
However, almost every book I read counts for several challenges. My biggest counter thus far was The Handmaid's Tale which counted for 6 challenges: 12 Awards, End of the World, the 35, the Guardian, the Bucket List and Pick and Mix
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-16 5:06 PM (#7226 - in reply to #7224)

Extreme Veteran

Now I feel like a slacker!

I'm doing the LGBT, POC, WoGF, Masterworks & Elizabeth Noun challenges. I have a few overlaps but in some ways my own challenge is not to have too many overlaps! Averaging 1 1/2 books a week though not all are for the challenges.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-17 7:58 AM (#7238 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

I signed up for ten challenges, which is probably a bit much, and has kind of distorted my reading so far this year, but I'm also fairly determined to beat them all. I'm in the WoGF, Book of Ones, Masterworks, 12 Awards, Second Best, Sequel, End of the World, Read More of that Author, Guardian and Elizabeth Noun challenges. Two of which I created, so I only have myself to blame.

Some of them (Read More of that Author, Read the Sequel) I picked because they'd pretty much let me read what I wanted to read, but in trying to get the maximum crossover and minimum number of books I've ended up having to bump a few I was intending to read. I'm hoping to fit them in anyway, but I want to get sufficiently ahead of the game before I start going off-piste (to mix a few metaphors). Oddly enough it's Read More and Read the Sequel that I am struggling with the most at the moment.

The challenges mean I'm reading proportionally more SF than I originally intended, and I'm tending to favour shorter books, although physical length and mental length can be quite different. I had a personal crime fiction challenge going on as well, which I might have to push back a year, although I have managed to read one book that counts for that and, I think, four of my RYO challenges.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-17 8:10 AM (#7239 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

I signed up for five challenges, Grand Masters 2 completed, I just have to read more 5 done, YA 4 done, One world to rule them 1 done, The Counting shall be three 1.5 (I'm half way through one of them) I had planned to focus on "The counting" challenge, but things have gone a bit awry.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-17 8:37 AM (#7241 - in reply to #7226)

Uber User

Dlw28 - 2014-04-16 6:06 PM Now I feel like a slacker!

No need! I decided that a part of the challenge was to see how many books in my 35 and the Guardian I could get to fit in other challenges. There are spreadsheets and multiple lists involved. As I said before, a little insane!  I had planned to read more YA this year as well. The one I feel that I might regret (as in it will be the most difficult to finish) is the POC challenge because I don't have that many books on my shelves that I can pull from. It is taking more planning ahead and strategizing than the other ones. 

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-04-17 11:09 AM (#7246 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Dlw28: I have also decided to make my own personal challenge to minimize my multiple books. As of right now, I only have one novel that I am using in more than one challenge, and I think I can replace that one with something else. That will be 57 unique books. I am also planning to review each novel, even if the challenge is fewer reviews. I don't think that makes either of us slackers!
Dlw28
Posted 2014-04-17 12:01 PM (#7249 - in reply to #7246)

Extreme Veteran

I think the idea of spread sheets is fun! Might give me one other indoor activity before I start climbing the walls! I told myself I'd try to read 75 books total this year and I'm at 20 so it looks doable (unless the sunshine activities win out!) the majority of the 75 will be from challenges here.

It's true some of the longer books aren't always the ones that require the most concentration and thought...

I'm working on accumulating a decent POC collection of books to read. The library has been pretty good tho I've also bought inexpensive used books and ebooks. I have to say at least a few of these books have been wonderfully different fantasy realms to explore. I have an interest in Polynesian legends/myths but haven't found authors from that background yet. If anyone has a good source or link let me know.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)