open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Earth is the cradle of the mind-but you cannot live in the cradle forever. - Tsiolkovsky
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What are you reading in April?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2014-04-18 2:44 PM (#7262 - in reply to #6982)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in April?

Elite Veteran

I have been doing quite well so far this month,but with babysitting,school holidays,my sister in hospital this last week,and suddenly being told that 5 relatives from USA are coming to stay in 5 weeks time,instead of next summer,,my reading has slowed to a crawl.As for reviews for our challenge books,I will just have to postpone those till mid June when the visitors will be gone,and hopefully life calms down a bit!These are my reads so far this month
L Sprague de Camp - Lest Darkness Fall
.C J Cherryh - Protector
.H P Lovecraft - The Lurking Fear
Neil Gaiman - Fables and Reflections.
Kim Harrison - Ever After
David Eddings - Pawn of Prophecy.
J G Ballard - The Crystal World

Books in Progress
Alistair Reynolds - Revelation Space
Terry Pratchett - Small Gods

Possibly,but improbably
Strugatskis - Roadside Picnic
L K Hamilton - Caress at Twilight
Mixed bag this month.Enjoyed C J Cherryh,Lovecraft and Gaiman very much,bit let down by the Ballard.. I am dragging very slowly through Revelation Space,somehow I cant connect with it.250 pages in,350 still to go.......sigh.... The Pratchett is quite amusing,but ,like Pyramids,it is satirizing religion,often uncomfortably so.I prefer the lighter Discworld books.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
francesashton
Posted 2014-04-20 11:01 AM (#7290 - in reply to #6982)

Regular

I've been flying through YA and short books this month, with the odd exception.

So far, then: Sarah Pinborough's Mayhem (interesting but I'm still undecided on whether I really like Sarah's books). A bit of light relief with J. R. Rain/Piers Anthony's Aladdin Relighted. Then Kelley Armstrong's Sea of Shadows was published so that turned up on the kindle and needed reading straight away! Luke Smitherd's The Man on Table Ten was a short but very enjoyable read. I've just finished Old Man's War by John Scalzi and now I'm on to The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I've shelved Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany but do intend to go back to it sometime, but I'm confused 80 pages in and can't summon up the will to finish it just now.

All in all though, it's been a good month for me with most of the books I've read this month being enjoyable to the extent of adding more of an author's work on my wish list.

Edited by francesashton 2014-04-20 11:02 AM
Scott Laz
Posted 2014-04-21 6:47 PM (#7310 - in reply to #7290)

Uber User

So far this month has been pretty good:

Heinlein's The Door into Summer (good time-travel plot, but a main character I found annoying [as often with Heinlein])

A. Merritt's The Ship of Ishtar (purple pulp, also with a main character whose motivations I found somewhat unsavory)

Ian McDonald's Empress of the Sun (third in the Everness YA series, and they keep getting better)

the September 1962 issue of If (a pretty mediocre issue, but with an unusual hard SF story, "The Snowbank Orbit", by Fritz Leiber)

C. J. Cherryh's Peacemaker (book 15 of a series that hasn't dropped in quality, this new one concludes an arc that's been running for the last nine volumes!)

ERB's Pellucidar (a big dropoff from At the Earth's Core, but with some interesting sections, including a hilarious framing narrative in the prologue, and Burroughs' idea of utopia in the final chapter)

I also finished a reread of The Lord of the Rings, for the first time since age 12. That's a story for another time...

Also, decided to add the Short Fiction challenge, and read the first volume of the new edition of  the complete stories of R. A. Lafferty. I've always wanted to check out Lafferty, who has a great reputation, especially among writers. His style of prose and sense of humor take a bit of getting used to, but now I'm sucked in, waiting for more volumes to be published. One of the best things I've read in a while.
Maybe next I'll pick up the Grimnoir Chonicles. I understand it's quite popular...

spoltz
Posted 2015-04-27 11:50 AM (#10322 - in reply to #7310)

Uber User

@Scott Laz

You can record your rereading of the Lord of the Rings in the Tolkien Challenge at the Frodo (3 books) level.
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-04-27 3:53 PM (#10325 - in reply to #10322)

Uber User

@Steve... Unfortunately, that would be "cheating", as my reread was in 2014. This is an old thread, which brings up the question of whether there is any interest in restarting these "what are you reading this month" threads...

Scott L.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-04-27 8:03 PM (#10332 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Sure. I like to know what everyone is reading and why. I think we just got away from it because of the challenge pages.
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-04-27 9:36 PM (#10334 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Maybe I'll start a thread for May an see how it's goes...
spoltz
Posted 2015-04-28 9:37 AM (#10342 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

Sorry Scott. I was poking around the forum and noticed the month and date, but not the year LOL. The only other place where there's something like this is in the challenge forums with monthly updates on challenge progress. And I think less than 10 people participate in that. So this may be great place where people who aren't necessarily doing the challenges can post what they're reading, getting more people involved and sharing.
daxxh
Posted 2015-04-28 12:32 PM (#10344 - in reply to #10342)

Extreme Veteran

@spoltz - I finished The Bone Clocks. That was an excellent book! The last section was kind of scary since I can see that actually happening. This is a book that I would recommend to friends, whether they read speculative fiction or not.
spoltz
Posted 2015-04-28 1:28 PM (#10345 - in reply to #10344)

Uber User

@daxxh - Glad you liked it! I now have to read all his other work. And the TBR pile keeps growing!
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-04-28 1:49 PM (#10347 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

I have read Ghostwritten, Cloud Atlas and Jacob de Zoet. They were all fantastic. There are some similarities between Ghostwritten and Cloud Atlas but JdZ was very different. I have started Number9Dream a couple of time but have had trouble staying with it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd start with his first novel so that I could track his easter eggs from novel to novel--but I am a nerd that way.
Here's a cool article on Mitchell that talks a lot about his easter eggs.
http://www.vulture.com/2014/08/david-mitchell-interview-bone-clocks...
Rhonda
daxxh
Posted 2015-04-28 9:26 PM (#10349 - in reply to #10347)

Extreme Veteran

Great article. Thanks, Rhonda.

The only other David Mitchell book that I've read is Cloud Atlas, which I loved. I will have to read more of his books.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-04-29 11:06 AM (#10358 - in reply to #6982)

Uber User

@Rhonda That's what I'm doing. I started with Ghostwritten went on to Number9dream (actually my favorite to date) then Cloud Atlas. Next up would be Black Swan Green but haven't got around to it yet.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-04-30 3:25 AM (#10365 - in reply to #10358)

Elite Veteran

+Not a really active month for me in the SF genre,but I did have fun reading Terry Pratchett's Making Money,and some light UF books. Oddest book of the month was Murray Leinster's Forgotten Planet where a ship had crash landed on a planet redolent with huge insects. They reverted to a primitive scavenging life,unable to cope with the insects. Sort of Land of the Giants,but with detailed descriptions of insect behaviour. All very peculiar! lol.
My read of the month had to be Theodore Sturgeon's The Dreaming Jewels,dark and rather bizarre,but fascinating. I am truly enjoying the 1950's Defining Books challenge,they are full of surprises and are good fun.
Apart from that,I am trudging through Ancillary Justice,actually managed 20 pages yesterday,but its not grabbing me at all
I too would like a new What are we reading? thread. We all got so involved in our challenges last year that we forgot about this,and I had health problems and let it drop. I started this thread back in June 2012 to try to get people talking,and at times it was the only active thread on WWEnd! lol. The RYO brought in new members and things are a lot more active now.
Of course looking at what others are reading tends to make that TBR hill to become a mountain,but thats OK. Mine is approaching Himalaya standards!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)