open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I become drunk as circumstances dictate. - Jack Vance, (Tales of the Dying Earth)
- (Added by: wecowo)

Welcome to the 2015 RYO Reading Challenge!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2015-01-03 8:10 PM (#9126)
Subject: Welcome to the 2015 RYO Reading Challenge!
Quote Reply

Admin

Worlds Without End Roll-Your-Own Reading Challenge

Welcome to another year of the Roll-Your-Own Reading challenge! Last year's RYO was nothing short of amazing and we have reason to believe that this year's will be even better.  Why?  Well, it looks like we've got most everyone back from last year already and you guys and gals are already coming up with some great new challenge themes.  And, of course, most of the crop of challenges from last year are back for another go 'round.  And let's not forget the handful of challenges that are continuing from last year as well.  It's never too late to join in those too.

But you all know us well enough to know that we're not just going to run the same RYO over again without some improvements.  Unfortunately we're still wrapping up the new features - the flu season kicked our asses and we're still trying to recover.  But rest assured you're going to like the new features when they come - and don't worry about waiting for us to catch up.  Join in the challenges that float your boat as you will.  The new stuff will dovetail right in seamlessly and give you some new options to modify your challenge schedule.

If you are a challenge host be sure to create a discussion thread for your challenge participants to congregate in.  We had some pretty good threads last year with folks planning strategies, discussing books, finding recommendations and ultimately exercising their bragging rights to finished challenges.  We hope we can up the participation this year and there's those new features mentioned above to add fuel to the fire.

If this is your first chance to try the RYO there are lots of experienced folks around here to answer your questions and advise you.  You'll note right away the "gaming" that goes on with challenge participants hunting down those books that will meet requirements for multiple challenges.  I seem to recall one WWEnder finding a single book that counted for 7 challenges!  It's great fun and allows you to dip into more challenges than you would think possible.  We had several members who jumped into over a dozen different challenges last year and this year will be much the same.  There are just so many compelling themes to pick from, how can you choose just one?

Lastly, I want to take a minute to offer our sincerest thanks to everyone who participated last year and made it such a joy to organize.  So much enthusiasm and effort went into the reading and reviews that we were just blown away and we really appreciated the camaraderie and support everyone shared.  It certainly helped us build a better community here and we hope that will just continue to grow and grow.  There are some great people here and you might just find some new friends to talk genre fiction - even if they're on the other side of the planet!

Thanks everyone and Read On!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-01-03 9:07 PM (#9129 - in reply to #9126)
Subject: Re: Welcome to the 2015 RYO Reading Challenge!
Quote Reply

Admin

I don't know how but I managed to forget to thanks our Uber Users for all the work that they have done! In the last year they've entered over 5,000 books into the WWEnd database with the majority of those being user requested books for the RYO. They're making the RYO work and we could not have done it without them. Our hats are off! Thank you.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-01-03 9:47 PM (#9130 - in reply to #9129)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Just out of idle curiosity, how many books do we have in our database?
Administrator
Posted 2015-01-03 9:58 PM (#9131 - in reply to #9130)
Quote Reply

Admin

gallyangel - 2015-01-03 9:47 PM Just out of idle curiosity, how many books do we have in our database?

10,789!

gallyangel
Posted 2015-01-04 2:57 PM (#9141 - in reply to #9126)
Quote Reply

Uber User

10,789? Is that all? At an inch a book, that's just a tick under 900 feet. Talk about your shelf space.
What impresses me is that we've doubled our book count in a year. I have a rough idea of how many books
I've put in last year, so that gives me a rough idea of how busy everybody else was.
It'll be interesting to see if we add another 5K or not this year.
Administrator
Posted 2015-01-04 7:38 PM (#9150 - in reply to #9141)
Quote Reply

Admin

If we get half as many books added this year as we did last I'll be quite happy... of course I'd like to see us top last year's numbers too.  With the new RYO there will be plenty of new book and author requests to help us along.  I hope we can get the word out and bring in a bunch of new readers this year.  Spread the news, people!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)