open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The living tongue that tells the word, the living ear that hears it, bind and bond us in the communion we long for in the silence of our inner solitude. -- Ursula Le Guin (The Wave in the Mind)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Battle of the Five Armies...
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Wade
Posted 2015-01-10 5:56 PM (#9247)
Subject: Battle of the Five Armies...

Did anyone else not like this movie?
Did anyone else feel the Hobbit was totally OVER DONE?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-01-10 8:04 PM (#9248 - in reply to #9247)
Subject: RE: Battle of the Five Armies...

Admin

Wade - 2015-01-10 5:56 PM Did anyone else not like this movie? Did anyone else feel the Hobbit was totally OVER DONE?

All three movies were dreadful.  In fact they got worse as they went along.  Peter Jackson is the new George Lukas.  From practical effects in the LOTR to all green screen in Hobbit.  Lukas had Jar Jar but 'ol Pete topped him with Radagast and his rabbit sled.  And the green screen effects were just terrible.  So unrealistic and so obviously computer made.  Even the non-action scenes used green screens so that the actors were obviously looking at a marker in the general vicinity of the character rather than actually looking at each other for real.  Whole dialog scenes were clipped together from separately filmed actors.

It was all over the top as if there's nobody around to say "No, that's just not going to work, Pete." to Jackson.  He made a kajillion dollars with LoTR so nobody will gainsay him now.  "Yes, Mr. Jackson, it makes perfect sense that 4 battle rams would just be sitting there with no riders JUST when Thorin and co. need them."  "Yeah, Pete, I think the giant sand worms from Dune would be a fantastic addition!"  "Peter!  Bard the Bowman surfing the wooden cart down a rubble strewn alleyway is even BETTER than Legolas surfing the shield in Two Towers!"  "Yeah, I definitely think the stone tower creating a bridge for Legolas to fight Bolg on could really happen.  It's magic!"

Contrast the one on one battle between Aragorn and Lurtz with the one on one between Thorin and Azog.  The first was gritty and exciting and exhausting and realistic while the second was just silly and exhausting in the wrong way.  Thorin was stabbed THROUGH THE frellING HEART WITH A GIANT SWORD but still managed to finish off Azog, walk away to stare out at the battle below and have his moment with Bilbo!

Think how many more cheesy over-the-top physics-defying moments made it into each successive film!  So many more cringe-worthy scenes in the Hobbit trilogy - again following in the footsteps of Lukas.  The part that makes me mad is that none of that crap was necessary.  Jackson took every scene too far.  What starts out good always devolves into ridiculous before the next cut.  Time and time again.  Then, inexplicably, he has an opportunity to take a character like Beorn, who you would think is the perfect vehicle for Jackson's penchant for over the top smashing, chomping, rending, slashing of orcs, and we get less than 10 seconds!  And he has to come in on an eagle?

I really hate those movies but as long as Battlefield Earth exists I can't call them the worst movies ever made.  I could go on forever with all the ways those movies sucked but the worst part of all is the change in focus from Bilbo to Thorin.  Just terrible story telling.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)