open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more." - Terry Pratchett
- (Added by: Administrator)

RYO Challenge Update - January
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-02-02 3:45 PM (#9476)
Subject: RYO Challenge Update - January
Quote Reply

Uber User

Here we go again. I started off with just a few (manageable) number of Challenges but with the Reading Levels now in these are threatening to balloon alarmingly.

12 in 12 1/9
Listomania 0/3
Second Best 1/12
The Unloved 2/12
Read Around the World 2/5
Clear the Shelves 4/12
Literary Prizes 1/12
Read the Sequel 0/6
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2015-02-02 9:38 PM (#9481 - in reply to #9476)
Subject: Re: RYO Challenge Update - January
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Yep - with the Reading Levels in, I just added two more. And may add another two later.

Killer Bs - 3/3
Elizabeth Noun - 3/3
Gemmell - 3/4
New Books of 2014 - 15/20
Reader's Choice - 0/5
Read It Again - 1/6
SubGenre (Cyberpunk) - 1/10
Detectives - 9/12
Space Opera 0/15
Clear the Shelves 0/15
Tour the Solar System 0/12
Somewhere Out There 1/12
Literary 0/12
Read the Sequel 1/12
WoGF 1/12
Read More 4/12
New Books of 2015 0/18
1950s 0/10
Unloved 4/12
Pick and Mix 3/12
Fantasy Series 0/3
12 in 12 0/6
Second Best 0/6

Books Read in January (Thank you library for making 7 holds (6 for challenges) available all in the same week!)

The Pretender Bk 1 Rebirth (unloved, P&M) typical tv book good if you liked the show (which I did)
Boy, Snow, Bird (WoGF, 2014, unloved) didn't like this one.
Lock In (2014, Read More, Detective) -excellent start to a series.
Broken Monsters (2014, Read More, Detective) good, but not as good as The Shining Girls
Best Science Fiction Stories of Clifford D. Simak (Read More, P&M) excellent - favorite book of January
The Graveyard Game (Read More, P&M, Unloved, Sequel) best of the series so far

Edited by daxxh 2015-02-02 9:41 PM
Rhondak101
Posted 2015-02-03 10:24 AM (#9487 - in reply to #9476)
Quote Reply

Uber User

It was a slow month for me. I am working on two huge "professor-type" projects right now. They have practically killed my leisure reading time... and my adding to the database time. Sorry, Uber Users.
I read Affinity Bridge for Gaslamp and Clear the Shelves (it also fits Detective, but I'm trying not to double up Gaslamp and Detective too much); I read Rogue Moon for Science Fictional Solar System and Second Best; and The Martian for Science Fictional Solar System and New Books 2014. I don't know if February will be any better, but look out March because both projects are due March 1!
spoltz
Posted 2015-02-03 10:29 AM (#9489 - in reply to #9476)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I just added two more as well with the new challenge levels. I'm still being much more conservative in my challenges because of my Tolkien challenge. I'm expecting many of post-LOTR books to be slow going. And I'm planning on following an online chapter by chapter seminar on the Silmarillion. Once I get through most of this challenge, I'll probably add more.

Books read in January
American Gods - Neil Gaiman 5/5 (Read it again) I think this is a fantastic book
Four for Tomorrow - Roger Zelazny 3/5 (Clear the Shelves) A little disappointed, but a decent read
The Martian - Andy Weir 4/5 (Pick and Mix) I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this.
Nerves - Lester del Rey 2/5 (Just Have to, Clear the Shelves) Very disappointed. I'm starting to think he was made a Grand Master more for his publishing than for his writing
Shakespeare's Planet - Clifford D Simak 4/5 (Just Have to, Clear the Shelves, I haven't met a Simak book I haven't liked
To Say Nothing of the Dog - Connie Willis 4/5 (Read it again) My second read. The first time, I was lost. This time, I got it, and enjoyed it immensely.

Challenge Tally:
Just Have to Read - 2/12
Clear the Shelves - 3/15
Read it Again, Sam - 4/6
PIck and Mix - 1/12
Tolkien - 0/12
Unloved - 0/3
Solar System - 1/3
Elizabeth Noun - 3/3
LGBT 12/12 The challenge just ended

Engelbrecht
Posted 2015-02-06 6:17 PM (#9541 - in reply to #9476)
Subject: RE: RYO Challenge Update - January
Quote Reply

Uber User

I had a decent January reading-wise, with nine books read.  However, I've been pretty busy, too busy so far to enter the six books (and seven authors) that aren't in the WWE DB.  It feels like I've been too busy for months on end.  I'm sure that many of you feel like you're in the same boat...

This year I'm going to try harder to keep up with a new year's resolution of doing reviews - something I failed abysmally at last year!

I've tried to be a little more selective with my challenges this year, as last year it sometimes felt that there was no room for serendipitous reading.  I'm currently in eight challenges, but I suspect that, with the advent of the new reading levels for the challenges, I'll be adding a number of others as time goes on.  There are also two or three of my own challenges that I'd like to set up.  I can't believe that it's February already!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)