open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Those who build walls are their own prisoners" Ursula K. Le Guin - The Dispossessed
- (Added by: jfrantz)

"I see you"
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

spectru
Posted 2015-02-21 2:41 PM (#9684)
Subject: "I see you"

Veteran

I've just started reading Heinlein's Double Star. Space pilot Dak Broadbent turns the tables on a would-be Martian assassin. He addresses him with "I see You". The Martian returns the greeting, "I see you." In the context, it seems to mean I know and respect you, even though they are lethal adversaries. This form of greeting, "I see you" is used in the movie Avatar. The makers of Avatar must have gotten the phrase from Heinlein's 1956 novel.

The Martian's weapon is a light wand, surely the model for the Star Wars light saber.

If I were to research Avatar, I wonder if I would discover that it was based on The Word for World is Forest, by Ursula K Le Guin?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gallyangel
Posted 2015-02-21 4:22 PM (#9685 - in reply to #9684)
Subject: RE: "I see you"

Uber User

spectru - 2015-02-21 12:41 PM

If I were to research Avatar, I wonder if I would discover that it was based on The Word for World is Forest, by Ursula K Le Guin?

That's what I've always assumed. Take the general themes, change the names and places, and pay Le Guin nothing. I'm assuming that's how it worked.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-02-21 4:28 PM (#9686 - in reply to #9684)
Subject: RE: "I see you"

Uber User

spectru - 2015-02-21 12:41 PM

The Martian's weapon is a light wand, surely the model for the Star Wars light saber.

Really? I thought the light saber came out of the long history of mythical enchanted swords. Or you could have the idea of a sword of light, which sounds like something right out of Arabian Nights or the even older greek/roman/norse god myths. Combine the two, a Science Fantasy setting and there you go.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)