open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: No Single Thing Abides; But All Things Flow. -- Heraclitus
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Series A-Z Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

daxxh
Posted 2015-06-10 11:41 PM (#10750)
Subject: Series A-Z Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Here's the thread for the Series A-Z Challenge.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2015-06-11 2:20 AM (#10752 - in reply to #10750)
Subject: Re: Series A-Z Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Sounds interesting. A good way to read more of those series I've started and never finished.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2015-06-11 3:35 PM (#10754 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm going to start with A - F and see how far I get from there.
A - Afterblight Chronicles
B - Berserker
C - Chronicles of Amber
D - Discworld
E - Elijah Bailey
F - Finishing School

I agree with Weesam, I should probably go through and look at series I have only read a couple books from. This one would also work well with the read the sequel challenge (which I have already signed up for)
DrNefario
Posted 2015-06-12 7:17 AM (#10760 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I reckon I'll probably get more than half way just by reading what I was going to read anyway, but there will be some tricky letters that have almost nothing I want to read. For my alphabetical detective crime fiction challenge it was X and some of the vowels that gave me most trouble.

Still, it will need another extension to my spreadsheet.
DrNefario
Posted 2015-06-19 7:21 AM (#10820 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've been through the alphabet and made notes, now, and it looks like the letters I am most struggling with are U, X, Y and Z.

With re-reads (are they allowable?) I can cover U, Y and Z. Otherwise I have a Y I'm not all that keen on, and I'm going to have to do some shopping for the others, unless I can find some things that aren't on the site.

I've also been wondering whether prefixes such as "Chronicles of", "Legend of", "Book of", etc should/could be ignored. They aren't ignored by WWE, is the alphabetical list here deemed to be the final judge?
daxxh
Posted 2015-06-19 9:40 PM (#10827 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

The only letter I had trouble with was Y. I have a few of The Year's Best Science Fiction anthologies, but am not looking forward to reading one straight through. I have so many series books on my TBR bookcase, that I don't need to re-read anything for this challenge, but I have no problem with other people re-reading books if they want to do that.

I hadn't really considered ignoring "Chronicles of," Legend of," or "Book of" in the series title since I have multiple books for a lot of the letters. I didn't need to do that to make a book fit. I have no problem if someone wants to count The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant as a T book (T for Thomas, not T for The) instead of a C book. Maybe I can find something more to my liking for Y if I do that.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-07-18 7:14 AM (#14035 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Three left, for me, having just finished Kushiel's Chosen by Jacqueline Carey for K. I kept putting it off because it was very long, but I ended up enjoying it a lot.

I still don't have anything definite lined up for Z. I guess it's likely to be Children of the Sky by Vernor Vinge, but that doesn't seem to have had much of a release in the UK.

I'm a little bit unhappy with J (The "Jane Ellsworth" series is the Glamourist Histories series as far as I'm concerned), and N (New Solaris Book of Fantasy seems a bit of a dodge), but I'm only going to think about replacing them at the end if I feel I have time.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-11-09 4:44 AM (#14545 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I finished Children of the Sky last night to complete this challenge. Just in time for the end of civilisation.

Z had been giving me a bit of trouble, but then I discovered that my local library system had two copies of Children, and I ordered one in. I'm not sure it was ever actually published in the UK, this seems to be a US Tor hardback. Anyway, I enjoyed it once it got going, even though my memories of Fire Upon the Deep are hazy, to say the least. I don't think it's as good as the two 90s classics, but it was a decent enough read.
dustydigger
Posted 2016-11-11 3:58 AM (#14554 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Yay! Finished the Halphabet challenge,which leaves me with 8 books for my Pick N' Mix to finish off all 2016 challenges. Certainly I found this challenge pushed the envelope for me at times,trying to find something both available and likable for certain letters,but its not a method of choosing my reads that appeals.Maybe in a couple of years when I have got a lot more classics and award winners under my belt I can relax enough to appreciate such a challenge!
daxxh
Posted 2016-11-12 11:43 AM (#14561 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Congrats to DrNefario and dustydigger on recently finishing the challenge and to Weesam and Devilinlaw for finishing earlier! I am hoping to finish this over the holidays as I have a lot more time to read then. This challenge has allowed me to start more series that are now on my list to finish. I will definitely be doing the Read the Sequel Challenge again next year.

I swear I read A Fire Upon the Deep many many years ago, but when I was choosing books for this challenge, I found I couldn't remember anything about it, even after skimming through the book. I guess I didn't read it. I will be reading that one for Z and will have to read A Deepness in the Sky and Children of the Sky at some point since I own them. Maybe I need a "Read All the Books You Bought at Least 10 Years Ago and Never Read" Challenge for next year.
Weesam
Posted 2016-11-12 2:15 PM (#14565 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I think we all need a "Read All the Books You Bought at Least 10 Years Ago and Never Read" Challenge. Although it would have to run for multiple years because I know I couldn't read them all in a year!
daxxh
Posted 2016-12-28 9:15 PM (#14806 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Congrats to devilinlaw, DrNefario, dustydigger and Weesam for finishing the A-Z Challenge! I am almost done with my last book, Betrayer of Worlds, so I will finish before the challenge ends. This was fun - I read a lot of books from the giant TBR pile and started a bunch of series. Happy 2017 everyone!
DrNefario
Posted 2016-12-29 7:24 AM (#14814 - in reply to #10750)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I enjoyed this one. I even managed to replac the two letters I was unhappy with just before the deadline:

J - previously Shades of Milk and Honey by Mary Robinette Kowal for the Jane Ellsworth series, now Janissaries by Jerry Pournelle. To be honest I much preferred the former; my problem with it is that I consider the series name to be the Glamourist Histories, and therefore a G.

N - previously Fearsome Journeys edited by Jonathan Strahan for the New Solaris Book of Fantasy series. I thought that felt a bit cheaty, using New like that, so I replaced it with The Drowning City by Amanda Downum for the Necromancer Chronicles.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)