open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It's wrong to think that the strong look down at the weak--in most cases, they aren't even looking at them in the first place. -- Hitagi Senjogahara -- NisiOisin (Owarimonogatari Part 2)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Cat Quest
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

pizzakarin
Posted 2015-08-13 9:48 AM (#11116)
Subject: Cat Quest
Quote Reply

Veteran

This is the forum for the Cat Quest challenge. Tell us what cat book you read or suggest cat books in the database.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
thereddeath
Posted 2015-08-13 1:39 PM (#11118 - in reply to #11116)
Subject: Re: Cat Quest
Quote Reply

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-08-13 1:53 PM (#11119 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Here's my list from a search in the database of the word "cat". I'm not sure how prominent a role the cats play in the story.

The Track of the Cat - https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=12443
Reigning Cats and Dogs - https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=12384
Reserved for the Cat - https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=4880
The Mark of the Cat - https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=13268
Star Kingdom Series by David Weber
Tales of the Barque Cats by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls by Robert Heinlein
The Leopard Mask by Kaoru Kurimoto

Ones I'm sure about:

Mort(e) by Robert Repino
The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett

I also know there is quite a bit of urban fantasy and paranormal romance out there that focuses on were-cats and cat-people. Not sure how much of that is in the database already.
pizzakarin
Posted 2015-08-13 1:57 PM (#11120 - in reply to #11118)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Good one! I haven't read any Murakami yet though I have a friend who is a big fan. This one sounds awesome. And of course, I would have to keep reading because I need to know whether or not he finds the cat.
Weesam
Posted 2015-08-13 6:04 PM (#11121 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have been reading my way through the Jane Yellowrock series by Faith Hunter. Jane shares her body with a big cat known as Beast, and often things are seen from Beast's perspective. There are quite a few books in this series.
Weesam
Posted 2015-08-13 6:39 PM (#11122 - in reply to #11121)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Also Tanya Huff's Keeper Chronicles has a cat who plays a very prominent role. And they are a lot of fun. I read them so long ago I have forgotten most of them, but I still remember the cat. They deserve a re-read I think.

Tailchaser's song by Tad Williams is all cats.

The Barque cats started life in the Tower and the Hive series by Anne McCaffrey. There are also a number of short story collections that specifically feature the cats.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2015-08-13 7:31 PM (#11123 - in reply to #11116)
Subject: RE: Cat Quest
Quote Reply

Uber User

Here's a link to a list of 290 genre cat books.  To be honest, it looks like a fair amount of unmemorable books in the list, but there should still be some good ones.

Sadly missing from this list is my favorite cat, Behemoth, from Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita.  So very, very funny. And so very very evil! 

Also missing from the list is M. John Harrison's Tag the Cat series (The Wild Road  / The Golden Cat / The Knot Garden / Nonesuch).  I've not read these, but have heard good things about them.

justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-08-14 9:47 AM (#11127 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Uber User

From YA to 'adult' - Lloyd Alexander's Time Cat and Fritz Leiber's The Wanderer.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2015-08-14 9:56 AM (#11128 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Uber User

And (if we take the definition of cat to include feline beings c.f. The Wanderer) C. J. Cherryh's Hestia. I seem to remember a cat like companion to the mri in Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy too.
valashain
Posted 2015-08-14 10:13 AM (#11129 - in reply to #11128)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams would fit the bill. Haven't read it myself but it is in the database.
DrNefario
Posted 2015-08-14 4:38 PM (#11138 - in reply to #11128)
Quote Reply

Uber User

justifiedsinner - 2015-08-14 3:56 PM

And (if we take the definition of cat to include feline beings c.f. The Wanderer) C. J. Cherryh's Hestia. I seem to remember a cat like companion to the mri in Cherryh's Faded Sun trilogy too.

And the Chanur series is basically cat-aliens vs dog-aliens.
devilinlaw
Posted 2015-10-22 5:01 PM (#11546 - in reply to #11138)
Quote Reply

Veteran

DrNefario - 2015-08-14 2:38 PM

justifiedsinner - 2015-08-14 3:56 PM

And the Chanur series is basically cat-aliens vs dog-aliens.

Using this definition, the Kzin of the Larry Niven's Known Space would also fall into this category. The Ringworld series all feature Kzinti characters as of course does the entire Man-Kzin War shared universe.
dustydigger
Posted 2015-10-24 3:23 AM (#11557 - in reply to #11546)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Using the wider definitionyou could certainly include Anne McCaffrey's Decision at Doona. An enduring memory for me is the little boy making himself a tail out of rope to imitate the cat-like aliens. What was particularly fun was that the cats were,rightfully, more advanced than the humans,and the humans had to learn their language instead of the normal thing where aliens have to play second fiddle to humans.Still one of my all time McCaffrey favourites.
Also would C J Cherryh's Chanur series qualify. They certainly seem cat-like!
devilinlaw
Posted 2015-11-21 1:41 PM (#11876 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I just finished The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher, the first in his new Cinder Spires series. I loved it! And talking cats, particularly one named Rowl, played a huge role in the story!

Edited by devilinlaw 2015-11-21 1:42 PM
bazhsw
Posted 2015-12-06 1:01 PM (#12081 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Regular

I can heartily recommended Murakami, he's probably my favourite author. Loads of his books have cats in them. Two are Kafka On The Shore and 1Q84. Neither are very accessible to new Murakami readers, 1Q84 especially. Cats are characters in their own right in 'Kafka'. Strays talk to a homeless man and one character is not a cat lover. 1Q84 has a short story read by the lead character about a town inhabited only by cats. I'd go into more detail but it's weird....
pizzakarin
Posted 2016-05-11 4:20 PM (#13546 - in reply to #11116)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Just finished Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams. It was pretty good. I understand it is Tad Williams' first book, and it was good enough that I will read more by him. I decided to read this one because I saw on Wild Road it says "in the tradition of Tailchaser's Song", so I thought I'd go back to the beginning.

It was really good, though I can't say that it fulfills my quest to find the perfect cat book. I really want a book where the house cat gets some love.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)