open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Star Wars Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

devilinlaw
Posted 2015-12-01 4:11 AM (#12010)
Subject: Star Wars Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Here is the thread for "The (Mostly) 2016 Star Wars Reading Challenge!

You don't have to write up a whole review on what you read for the challenge but if you could just drop a few lines about what you read here so we can all talk about it, that would be great!

Thanks, and may the force be with you, always!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
GiantPanda
Posted 2016-08-14 3:42 PM (#14196 - in reply to #12010)
Subject: Re: Star Wars Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Thanks for starting this challenge!

I am not a great Star Wars fan, but one of my coworkers is. He provided recommendations, and I decided to take it easy - just three books for now.
The ones I chose were the Thrawn trilogy. Felt like StarWars, but also entertaining boks in their own right. I like the new characters (Thrawn! The smugglers!),
some corrections to the universe (Less power to the force! Fewer senseless killing by Thrawn than by Vader!). Entertaining plot, not too many holes, some nice twists. I don't regret the time spent on these books.

What comes next - a Star Wars break, sorry. There are other challenges on this site just as interesting.

If I get back to this challenge before it ends (possible, but not very likely) I'd upgrade to 6 with The Hand of Thrawn (sequel!) and Aftermath (to see what the excitement is about), then maybe movie novelizations. We shall see.

Thanks again for starting this!
devilinlaw
Posted 2016-08-19 2:41 PM (#14209 - in reply to #12010)
Subject: Re: Star Wars Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy are classic novels and are responsible for the explosion of the what used to be known as the Expanded Universe, now referred to as the Legends timeline. The character of Thrawn has proven so popular that he is being incorporated into the new canon as a character on the upcoming 3rd season of the Rebels television series and also receiving a new novel in the current canon written by Zahn himself! The new book, simply titled Thrawn, is due out April 2017.

Edited by devilinlaw 2016-08-19 2:43 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)