open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Expanse TV Series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Film & TelevisionMessage format

Fluke71
Posted 2015-12-01 2:44 PM (#12013)
Subject: The Expanse TV Series

Hi,

Just watched the first episode of the TV series The Expanse. And i was not disappointed. I really liked the books, and was a bit put off that it was the syfy channel (and not HBO) that did the adaptation. But i have only watched the first episode, and it can still fail

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-12-01 6:43 PM (#12016 - in reply to #12013)
Subject: RE: The Expanse TV Series

Admin

Fluke71 - 2015-12-01 2:44 PM Hi, Just watched the first episode of the TV series The Expanse. And i was not disappointed. I really liked the books, and was a bit put off that it was the syfy channel (and not HBO) that did the adaptation. But i have only watched the first episode, and it can still fail

I've watched the first episode twice already and I think it's pretty great.  Some of the effects are a little cheesy but mostly they're really good.  I love the sets and the spacecraft and just the overall look is really good.  Not how I imagined it myself but things are recognizable as what's in the books.  The level of acting is far batter than that I expected.

With SyFy it's easy to think of Sharknado as the baseline but thy've done far better here and I'm looking forward to seeing more.  My biggest concern is how they're going to handle some of the big scenes that are coming up that are going to require a lot of special effects to pull off.  So far though, I'm a big fan.

I'm halfway through Abaddon's Gate now on audio and I'm happy to be out ahead of the show so I can visualize it myself first before SyFy takes over my inner eye.  I already picture Holden and crew as the actors on The Expanse but that's not too terribly bad.

devilinlaw
Posted 2015-12-02 4:55 PM (#12035 - in reply to #12013)
Subject: Re: The Expanse TV Series

Veteran

I've not read the books or watched the series (yet for both) but SyFy is much better with series than with movies. BSG and the before-mentioned Sharknado franchise (they're up to number three now) are perfect examples of the highs and lows of production values associated with the channel's original content.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-07 4:33 AM (#12091 - in reply to #12035)

Uber User

I'm ready for book five of the series and have seen the first episode. It's obvious that with some things they just has to skip because budget and shooting would double but those are little things that can be forgiven when transferring from one medium to another. I'm liking what I've seen so far. It would be interesting to contrast this series with the other SF series that's coming out about the same time, Childhood's End. Talk about tackling two widely different takes, from very different eras.

My only concerns so far is that the character of Amos just doesn't seem big and mean enough. I guess I was thinking some kind'a Wrestler wannabe and the actor they got is well, ordinary in size. He hasn't gotten to the mean/tough parts of the script yet.

My other concern is that the ethnic mix might be off. It's certainly mixed, but still, white faces abound. I got the impression that really wasn't the case in the books. Hollywood seems to be notorious about being bad about that. I'm sure they tried. How successful they were is a matter of opinion.
devilinlaw
Posted 2015-12-08 5:27 PM (#12116 - in reply to #12091)

Veteran

There have been a number of cries from the left about lack of diversity in a number of recent Hollywood movies that are based in ethnic areas but are dominated by white faces, particularly Ridley Scott's biblical epic <i>Exodus: Gods and Kings</i> and Alex Proyas' upcoming fantasy film <i>Gods of Egypt</i>. Physical presence isn't all that's required for a domineering role, however. The character of Jack Reacher in Lee Child's novels is a big man, 6'5", 220. Tom Cruise, who portrayed the character in the eponymous film, is decidedly not a a big man but his performance definitely made him a guy you did not want to mess with. His personal views and opinions aside, the man has acting chops.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-08 8:55 PM (#12117 - in reply to #12013)

Uber User

>Devilinlaw

Examples of my point. Far to often Hollywood efforts are not very mixed. I know there was also some shouting about the casting in the Ghost in the Shell, Hollywood edition as well. (I also hear the script is in trouble so who knows.)
And we'll see about the casting for Amos, won't we. He'll probably be fine.
devilinlaw
Posted 2015-12-09 2:48 PM (#12124 - in reply to #12117)

Veteran

Unlike the superhero film genre, which was legitimized by Christopher Nolan with The Dark Knight, there has yet to be a universally acclaimed live action film based on an anime property, or video game for that matter. Can it be done? Of course it can but that will entail the people involved (production team and studio, alike) to respect the source material and not try to twist it into something else for mass consumption, or "whitewash" it entirely. Until then we're stuck with things like Dragonball: Evolution (why Chow Yun-Fat, why?), Speed Racer and the Resident Evil franchise. I have heard some people express hope that the upcoming Warcraft movie could be that film for video games, especially with someone like Duncan Jones behind the camera, whose two previous films, Moon & Source Code, are both "Certified Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes. There are several anime properties that have been in development hell in Hollywood for years, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop and Neon Genesis Evangelion, just to name a few.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-09 7:17 PM (#12126 - in reply to #12124)

Uber User

Cameron has held the Battle Angel rights since the mid-90ies. Nothing yet. To busy becoming a billionaire and going to the bottom of the sea. I once had an opportunity to see a working script for the Motorballer section of the Battle Angel story. Not bad then, but it definitely needed tweaking. Who knows where it's at now if it's not sitting in Cameron's archives, untouched for years.

Edited by gallyangel 2015-12-09 7:18 PM
Bormgans
Posted 2015-12-11 6:45 AM (#12131 - in reply to #12126)

Regular

I'm still on the fence about continuing the series. I thought the first book lacked overall depth & originality. Does that improve much in the series, or does it remain on the "blockbuster in bookform" level? This is something I want to like, so that's not the problem.

see my review for a bit more motivation:

Weighing Leviathan

Edited by bleebs 2015-12-11 6:51 AM
Fluke71
Posted 2015-12-11 3:05 PM (#12135 - in reply to #12013)

I really liked the Expanse books, but, yes, they still fall in the "blockbuster in book form" category , but it's not Science Fantasy. Books like 2312 and SevenEves are another category, with different entertainment vector. I will always need a fill of lighter SF, and Expanse book series fills that need in a better and more believable way than most in that category.

I watched The Expanse TV for a 2nd time, and i still like it I will defenetly watch E02 on the 15th.
gallyangel
Posted 2015-12-19 1:20 AM (#12156 - in reply to #12135)

Uber User

I'm four episodes in. My quibbles now seems irrelevant and/or unwarranted. I'm looking forward to more. more.. more..!
Fluke71
Posted 2015-12-19 10:29 AM (#12157 - in reply to #12013)

I too just finished ep04 and this looks good! maybe even great. I will absolutely watch this to the end.
Scott Laz
Posted 2015-12-19 5:48 PM (#12159 - in reply to #12157)

Uber User

I've read all the books, and consider it a successful updating of old-style SF action adventure with some modern political undertones, which I believe is what the authors were after. After watching the first two episodes of the series, I'm pleasantly surprised. The show looks to be quite faithful to the book series concept (I notice that Abraham and Franck are listed as producers on the show), the major change-up being to include Avasarala in the events of the first book, but that seems like a good way to clarify the political situation in the Solar System from the beginning. Agreed with Admin that a big test will be whether they can pull off the multiple settings and set pieces as the series goes on, but the willingness to include the destruction of the Canterbury in the first episode (which must have been a pretty expensive set) bodes well, at least for the series' ambitions. Solid entertainment, and I'm also looking forward to more...

(Agreed with gallyangel in picturing Amos as a bigger dude, but we've yet to see him in action!)
Fluke71
Posted 2016-01-29 4:22 PM (#12525 - in reply to #12013)

Im at episode 8 now, and its really good. Amos is mean in action
justifiedsinner
Posted 2016-02-03 9:54 AM (#12579 - in reply to #12013)

Uber User

Watched the finale last night, a joint 2 hour session of episode 9 and 10. Apparently there is a second season coming in 2017 with 13 episodes. We still seem to be on Leviathan Wakes since the episode ends with the Rosinante escaping Eros. Presumably the second season will end the first novel and start in on Caliban's War.
Fluke71
Posted 2016-02-10 8:19 PM (#12643 - in reply to #12013)

Wow, i loved this series. Just as gritty as i hoped. I really like that they try to model low and zero gravity, yes they struggle with hair (i just pretend they all overdose with hairspray). For me it helps to create of believable story of a screwed up future. It would have been even better if they would have finished the first book in S01. 2017 is a long time away.
Administrator
Posted 2016-02-10 10:26 PM (#12645 - in reply to #12643)

Admin

Thoroughly enjoyed the show as well.  I do wish we had 3 more episodes to finish out the first book but I won't complain too much knowing we'll get 13 for next season.  I have to say that SyFy channel stepped it up with this production and I have high hopes for next season and will be giving other SyFy products the benefit of the doubt.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)