open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "If there is one thing worse than the modern weakening of major morals it is the modern strengthening of minor morals." - Poul Anderson (The Boat of a Million Years)
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-03 4:32 PM (#12273)
Subject: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Welcome to The Legendarium Podcast's inaugural reading challenge! We're no stranger to reading way too many books, then trying to think too hard about them. Join the Brandon Sanderson reading challenge, then leave a message here to let us know you're in!

As you read (don't wait til the end of a book to discuss it!), post comments and questions here, so that we can respond. We'll read your comments and reviews on the podcast, and we may even want to have some of you Skype in for the conversations!

The rules are simple, and located on the challenge page. I'll just add one more here: NO SPOILERS. One of the joys of Sanderson's books is mystery. So don't spoil anything for anyone, unless you mark it as such beforehand!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mollymortensen
Posted 2016-01-04 10:14 AM (#12277 - in reply to #12273)
Subject: Re: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

I read Sanderson for the first time last year and now I wonder why I didn't read him sooner! (I read the first two Reckoners books)

I just finished Warbreaker and it was amazing! I loved the world and the magic! The characters were well done too of course, though I was annoyed at the princesses sometimes. Vasher was my favorite! I really wish he was the star of the book instead of an occasional narrator! Lightsong was of course hilarious and Denth was great too! I actually didn't predict what would happen. There were plenty of hints and I had an idea about one of the many twists, but I was largely surprised.

I saw on Goodreads that eventually there will now be a sequel?! I can't wait!

Has anyone else read Warbreaker? What did you think?
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-04 10:27 AM (#12278 - in reply to #12277)
Quote Reply

I love Warbreaker! Sanderson's creativity is on full display in that one. The other guys on the podcast haven't read it yet, but it's on our list for this year, so we'll tackle it for sure.

As for a sequel, yes, there is one announced. There's a sequel announced for Elantris, too. (If you haven't read that one ... well, you should.) The nice thing to me about these sequels is that they're far enough away from the originals that those will always stand on their own; it will never be a "you have to read all 18 books to appreciate one" situation.
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-04 7:04 PM (#12282 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I keep meaning to read Sanderson, but so many books, so little time. So I'm joining in to give me that push I need to actually start, and I'm hoping that once started I won't want to stop.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-05 1:19 AM (#12290 - in reply to #12282)
Quote Reply

Well you're certainly committing hard, aren't you? =) If you're wondering where to start, most people start with either Elantris (his first book, not so polished but extremely creative) or Mistborn (this would be a good way to get yourself addicted quickly, and it's the one we've already got some podcasts about).

If you want a bit lighter read, start the Reckoners series, with Steelheart. Fun, urban fantasy with evil superheroes. Let me know what you decide to start with!
Chiplefien
Posted 2016-01-05 6:58 AM (#12291 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Started reading Sanderson in May of last year, and I fully intend on reading every last one of the fantasy novel he wrote (+ the end of the Reckoners series), so that ties in nicely with the challenge.

Sanderson... The man who adds a novel to his tight work schedule by "accident"...

Edited by Chiplefien 2016-01-05 6:59 AM
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-07 3:26 AM (#12309 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Except for the unreleased books, I have read all of the books at least once, some twice. But I will reread them for the challenge (can't wait!). However, I'd love to sync my reading to yours, so it's in line with the podcast and with the new releases. Will you guys (Ryan, Todd, Craig and Kenn) let us know what your reading program will be?

Where should we post the reviews?

Edited by Glubbdrubb 2016-01-07 3:44 AM
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-07 1:01 PM (#12315 - in reply to #12309)
Quote Reply

(Craig here) Happy to have you! First of all, we've just completed our reading schedule (subject to change, but not too much):

-The Alloy of Law (air date 2/15/2016)
-Shadows of Self, (air date 3/7/2016)
-Bands of Mourning, (air date 3/28/2016)
-Steelheart, (air date 4/18/2016)
-Firefight, (air date 5/9/2016)
-Calamity, (air date 5/30/2016)
-Elantris, (air date 6/27/2016)
-Warbreaker, (air date 7/25/2016)
-The Way of Kings, (air date 8/22/2016)
-Words of Radiance, (air date 9/19/2016)
-3 more TBD (likely more, if we do smaller works like Infinity Blade and Legion)

As for reviews, you can post reviews to the WWEnd book page like you normally would. Then let us know you done a review and link to it here. If it's not crazy long, or if you want to quote an excerpt here, throw it in this thread as well. Excited to see them!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-07 1:02 PM (#12316 - in reply to #12291)
Quote Reply

You're going to love it! Glad to have you!
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-08 1:28 AM (#12322 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

I was hoping to start off by reading the Stormlight archive, but since Stormlight 3 is probably going to come out early to mid 2017, reading it towards the end of 2016 is a better idea.
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-09 12:56 AM (#12324 - in reply to #12322)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm going to start this weekend with Steelheart. Light, fun, urban fantasy with superheroes sounds just exactly what I want.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-09 1:04 AM (#12325 - in reply to #12324)
Quote Reply

Excellent choice. The prologue sucks you in, in a big way. Let us know if you do a review!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-01-09 11:31 AM (#12340 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I signed up, and this is probably a good thing. I have never read any of his work, but I have had The Final Empire on my bookshelf for almost 5 years!! I am not a huge fan of fantasy, especially the sword and wizard types, I tolerate small doses of urban fantasy without breaking out in hives. His Mistborn series is number 43 of the NPR Top 100 Science Fiction, Fantasy books. I am slowly plugging away at this list. I will be interested in how I feel about this author. I have this first book tentatively scheduled to read in February, but I plan to follow the doings over here in case one of the other series might sound more up my alley.
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-09 1:58 PM (#12343 - in reply to #12340)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - 2016-01-09 7:31 PM

I signed up, and this is probably a good thing. I have never read any of his work, but I have had The Final Empire on my bookshelf for almost 5 years!! I am not a huge fan of fantasy, especially the sword and wizard types, I tolerate small doses of urban fantasy without breaking out in hives. His Mistborn series is number 43 of the NPR Top 100 Science Fiction, Fantasy books. I am slowly plugging away at this list. I will be interested in how I feel about this author. I have this first book tentatively scheduled to read in February, but I plan to follow the doings over here in case one of the other series might sound more up my alley.

You'll find find that Sanderson's work is not typical "Sword and Sorcery". There is purpose and planning at incredible detail.

He's written what are called the 3 Laws of Magic. The second law states that

"An author's ability to solve conflict satisfactorily with magic is directly proportional to how well the reader understands said magic."

He follows this quite closely, so that you can understand the protagonists actions.

I wish I was in your position, and got to read his work for the first time again.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-09 7:57 PM (#12350 - in reply to #12343)
Quote Reply

You'll find find that Sanderson's work is not typical "Sword and Sorcery". There is purpose and planning at incredible detail.

That's the truth! In fact, he comes really close to making his magic systems so rigorous that they don't feel like magic anymore. That he never quite falls over that edge is a testament to his genius.
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-11 12:32 AM (#12366 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

First book done. Steelheart. If that is a good example of what I can expect of Sanderson's writings then this is going to be the easiest challenge ever. I'm already half way through Firefight. Can't put them down!

Why did I wait so long to read Sanderson?
Glubbdrubb
Posted 2016-01-11 12:37 AM (#12367 - in reply to #12366)
Quote Reply

Weesam - 2016-01-11 8:32 AM

First book done. Steelheart. If that is a good example of what I can expect of Sanderson's writings then this is going to be the easiest challenge ever. I'm already half way through Firefight. Can't put them down!

Although it's not part of the challenge, you should read Mitosis, it's a short story set between Steelheart and Firefight. It fleshes out some of the mechanics of the magic introduced in Steelheart.

And of course it's a good book.

Edited by Glubbdrubb 2016-01-11 12:39 AM
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-11 1:54 AM (#12368 - in reply to #12367)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks. I've seen references in Firefight to Mitosis, but didn't know there was a short story. I shall hunt it out.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-11 10:26 AM (#12373 - in reply to #12366)
Quote Reply

Glad you liked it! The Reckoners books are definitely quick, fun reads. When you get into the Mistborn and (especially) Stormlight stuff, it gets quite a bit meatier, but they're still page-turners.

Let us know if you write a review for any of these!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-12 11:16 AM (#12382 - in reply to #12273)
Subject: RE: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Craig here.

For those reading the Reckoners series this year (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity), I highly recommend the audiobooks. A bad narrator can kill a book for you, but MacLeod Andrews does a wonderful job, and connects you with the characters in a way that you may not be able to get through the text alone.

Grab the audiobooks from Audible here.

Administrator
Posted 2016-01-12 1:17 PM (#12383 - in reply to #12382)
Quote Reply

Admin

TheLegendarium - 2016-01-12 11:16 AM

Craig here.

For those reading the Reckoners series this year (Steelheart, Firefight, and Calamity), I highly recommend the audiobooks. A bad narrator can kill a book for you, but MacLeod Andrews does a wonderful job, and connects you with the characters in a way that you may not be able to get through the text alone.

Grab the audiobooks from Audible here.

OK, I'm in for the Reckoner level.  I listened to the sample and he is a good narrator.  I was not going to do anymore challenges but this trilogy can do double duty for my Audio Book reading challenge and I have to see what all the fuss is about.

Posted 2016-01-12 9:27 PM (#12384 - in reply to #12383)
Quote Reply

I have to see what all the fuss is about.

You'll get a pretty good taste of him with Reckoners. Definitely geared toward a YA audience, but he doesn't make it overly juvenile, IMO. His Mistborn and (I'm told) Stormlight series are where he really shines, though. Glad to have you on board!
daltz01
Posted 2016-01-19 3:44 PM (#12431 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

Can't wait for the challenge. Have read moat of his books, and am madly waiting for 3rd book in stormlight archives.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-01-19 8:51 PM (#12434 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Glad to have you, daltz! Be sure to leave a few reviews so we can respond to them on the air. And you're in the same boat as a couple of us from the podcast who have already read Stormlight, they can't wait. I've actually held off on reading them so that I could come in fresh for this challenge. I'm looking forward to them.
Posted 2016-01-19 8:57 PM (#12435 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Just a quick question, how do we mark off the books we have read?
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)