open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I don't confuse greatness with perfection. To be great anyhow is the higher achievement. Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold
- (Added by: jfrantz)

The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-03-06 7:32 PM (#12916 - in reply to #12273)
Subject: RE: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Just in time for your Monday commute...the second episode is up! This one is on Shadows of Self, and our listener notes this week feature sahawkfire (thanks so much for the SoS review!) and our beloved Admin. (I know you haven't got this far yet, but we quote you at the beginning, before the spoilers.)

Our Bands of Mourning podcast will air in three weeks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2016-03-07 1:56 PM (#12918 - in reply to #12273)
Subject: Re: The Legendarium Podcast - 2016 Brandon Sanderson Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Time for an update of where I am up to. Since my last post I have finished the Mistborn Trilogy, Alloy of Law and Calamity. Guess I'm not a newbie at the Brandon Sanderson reading thing anymore!

I fell in love with the first Mistborn book, was a bit iffy about the second, and loved the third. Alloy of Law was a lot of fun. Next up will be Shadows of Self, then Bands of Mourning.

Also, I have been to my local bookshop and picked up Words of Radiance and The Way of Kings. They are hefty books. Funny thing - the lady in the bookstore raved about Sanderson when I took them to the counter, and we ended up having a discussion about Mistborn. In just over two months I have gone from never having read a Brandon Sanderson to having discussions with strangers about his books!

Edited by Weesam 2016-03-07 2:05 PM
Weesam
Posted 2016-03-17 6:00 PM (#13004 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Shadows of Self finished. Awesome. Straight into Bands of Mourning.
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-17 7:17 PM (#13005 - in reply to #12916)
Quote Reply

Admin

TheLegendarium - 2016-03-06 7:32 PM Just in time for your Monday commute...the second episode is up! This one is on Shadows of Self, and our listener notes this week feature sahawkfire (thanks so much for the SoS review!) and our beloved Admin. (I know you haven't got this far yet, but we quote you at the beginning, before the spoilers.)  Our Bands of Mourning podcast will air in three weeks!

I'm famous!

Here is my update for the challenge.  I just finished the Mistborn trilogy and I thoroughly enjoyed it!  I did the audio books, knowing they're great big door stoppers, and I'm glad I did.  I got through much of the series on my daily commute and indeed quite a bit of it during work when my tasks weren't too complicated.  Each of the books is around 28 hours of listening pleasure not only for the story but for the excellent narrator - which can make or break a book.

I'm tempted to jump right into The Alloy of Law cause I'd like to catch up to the podcast but I think I better take a short break and read something else first.  Don't want to burn myself out or anything and I've got lots of other challenges needing my attention at the moment.

I'll have you know that I got all fan-boy on the series and found myself enthusiastically recommending the series to a co-worker today.  Then I realized what I was doing and starting laughing.  I'm one of you nut jobs now it seems

Posted 2016-03-17 10:17 PM (#13006 - in reply to #13005)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2016-03-17 7:17 PM

I'm one of you nut jobs now it seems

Yeah you are!

Good call on waiting for Alloy of Law. I cleansed my palette as well, but that lasted at least 5 years. That was too long.

Whenever you do get to them, be aware that they're less than half the length. In some ways, they're more exciting, too. (They're more action-y without as much introspection. Good and bad, IMO.) So you'll just tear through them.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-03-17 10:21 PM (#13007 - in reply to #13006)
Quote Reply

Whoops, should have signed in before posting that...
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-03-21 10:39 AM (#13040 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I started The Final Empire yesterday, and so far I'm doing OK. Mr. Sanderson tends to be stingy on giving readers info about the sources of the power the characters posses, and how the governing powers came to be and function. Now before the fans start foaming at the mouth, I am only 35 pages in and I'm not criticizing the author. By doling out info slowly, the reader is drawn into the story to try and figure out how this world works. It is like being a visitor in a foreign land where one does not know the customs. When done skillfully, it is so much more entertaining that a large infodump right in the beginning.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-03-21 10:47 AM (#13041 - in reply to #13040)
Quote Reply

Glad to hear you've started! You'll have a ball, I'm sure of it. And I couldn't agree more about the build-it-up-slowly style he uses. One of the cool things about the Mistborn series in particular is that he's set up a magic system that's so well thought out that he's able to explore it through six (up to 13, eventually) books in a lot of different ways. I'm always incredibly excited when someone picks up the series for the first time. Keep us posted here on how it goes for you! (Even if you hate it!)
AliasHandler
Posted 2016-03-21 10:56 AM (#13042 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

New User

That slow burn is Sanderson's style. The magic system is so well thought out and intricate in the Mistborn series, it makes a lot of sense that he only gives you a little bit of it at a time. As you learn more about it you get more answers, but this raises future questions. I spent a significant amount of time researching the magic system in Mistborn once I caught up because I found it so interesting.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-03-24 11:29 AM (#13063 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Final Empire update: 120 pages in, and although I am not quite ready to "drink the Kool-aide" like our fearless leader Dave, I am enjoying the book. We did get a bit of an infodump with the introduction of Vin to the thieves gang. It was well placed and much needed by that point. I now also know what the basic premise of this book is going to be, you know the overthrow of the Lord Ruler. I already have suspicions regarding Vin. I'm guessing her father was the Lord Ruler, not because of anything I have read so far, but just how these stories tend to flow. I could be totally wrong, and I know no one is going to tell me now, but it ill be interesting to see if I am right.

I am also currently reading "The Aeronaut's Windlass" by Jim Butcher, another author known for his world building. Since these are both the first books in their respective series, it will be interesting to see how they compare. I know that Mr. Butcher's series "Codex Alera" would be a better comparison, but I read them back in 2013 and I'm not up to reading that series again so soon!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-03-28 1:00 AM (#13092 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Final Empire Update: 281 pages in (that's just about the half way point): While sitting at Easter dinner and thinking about The Final Empire I started getting this sweet yet slightly bitter taste in my mouth, could it be the taste of Sanderson flavored Kool-Aid? I mean here I was sitting at the table supposed to be celebrating the resurrection of our lord and savior and all I was wondering was when I would be able to get back to the book, because I had to put it down in the middle of a mistborn fight between Vin and the Steel Inquisitors!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-03-28 4:06 PM (#13097 - in reply to #13092)
Quote Reply

So much fun to watch you read! Very excited to hear what you think of the ending. Don't worry, you'll stop fighting soon and just enjoy the Kool-aid. =)
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-03-28 4:09 PM (#13098 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Bands of Mourning podcast is up!

Edited by TheLegendarium 2016-03-28 4:10 PM
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-04-09 12:57 AM (#13208 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

There was no way we were going to skip this one! We did a Mistborn: Secret History podcast, partly because the novella was so great, and partly because this was the most requested episode we've ever had, BY FAR. Enjoy!

Edited by TheLegendarium 2016-04-09 12:58 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-04-12 2:48 PM (#13231 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

The Final Empire: I finished the book April 2nd, but I had already put the second book on reserve when I was 400 pages in. I thought the book was vey well written, and not just a well written fantasy book, but just a great book. Period. The characters and the world were brought to life in a natural way. I loved that although there was a love interest, Mr. Sanderson was smart enough to bring in an age appropriate love interest for Vin. Because Kelsier, if not old enough to be her Dad, was old enough to be a creepy uncle. But the romance was light and that was even more appreciated.

The funny thing about this book was really when you think about it, it would be harder to find a more clichd story. Now again, before all the fans start foaming at the mouth and calling for my head,It did not matter that this was a tired old story plot, because it was so well written, it felt fresh and new. It was only after I had finished the book and really started thinking about it critically that I realized how clichd the story was. If that is not the sign of a great writer, I just don't know what is!!

I'm looking forward to book 2 The Well of Ascension. I guess I was wrong about Vin's parentage, but there is still a niggling sensation in the back of my mind that there is something there. I don't think we have heard the last about Vin's parentage, maybe in a future book?
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-04-13 11:06 AM (#13233 - in reply to #13231)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - 2016-04-12 2:48 PM

I loved that although there was a love interest, Mr. Sanderson was smart enough to bring in an age appropriate love interest for Vin. Because Kelsier, if not old enough to be her Dad, was old enough to be a creepy uncle. But the romance was light and that was even more appreciated.
It did not matter that this was a tired old story plot, because it was so well written, it felt fresh and new. It was only after I had finished the book and really started thinking about it critically that I realized how clichd the story was. If that is not the sign of a great writer, I just don't know what is!!

Glad you enjoyed it so much! There's something immensely satisfying about a book recommendation working out well. I think you're absolutely right on both counts mentioned above. I especially like that the possibility of a romance between Vin and Kelsier is acknowledged in her mind, then discarded. She has some real and powerful emotions toward him, and has to sort out exactly what those are. Of course she (and we) would wonder if it's a romantic thing. Glad it wasn't.

As for the cliche thing, again, you're right. I hope you're well into Well of Ascension, though. One of my favorite things about the trilogy as a whole is that where the cliched story usually ends is only the end of Book 1 here. It's like the end of Return of the Jedi, when the rebels blow of the Death Star (again), and then we're left to ask, "Ok...then what?" And that's the question that Sanderson tackles that few other authors successfully do.

So excited for you to work through this trilogy! Keep us updated on your progress! Love hearing your thoughts!
Administrator
Posted 2016-04-13 12:01 PM (#13234 - in reply to #13233)
Quote Reply

Admin

So here's my update for the challenge.  I cruised through The Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self rather quickly via audio book -- combined they're about as long as one volume of the original trilogy.  Really enjoying them though perhaps not as much as the first 3 books.  These feel a little lighter like Sanderson was writing them just for fun rather than trying to create an epic.  I'm down with that though so it's all good.  The best part of the series is the Wax and Wane interplay and the narrator plays it up rather nicely.  I'm a few chapters into The Bands of Mourning now and should be done by week's end.

My co-worker is on book 2 now and we talk about it all the time which is a lot of fun.  Feels like we're back in high school "Dude, where you at now?  Oh!  That's a great scene!"

miss_dizzy
Posted 2016-05-01 1:01 AM (#13421 - in reply to #12435)
Quote Reply

New User

Since I've already read four Sanderson books since January, I'm partway through Secret History, and I intend to read at least one more this year anyway, I finally caved and entered the challenge. "Challenge" seems a silly word, though, because this is just fun! Thanks, guys, for introducing me to this author. He rocks!

Edited by miss_dizzy 2016-05-01 1:16 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-05-09 10:56 AM (#13520 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I got Well of Ascension from the Library May 4th and am 20% in. I am doing the audiobook on this one, because I also have an ARC of Justin Cronin's City of Mirror. Both are 600 plus page books, so I figured I can "read" Ascension on my commute. I'm really enjoying that this story is really the tale of what happens after the "happily ever after."

If all fantasy was like Mr. Sanderson's work I would definitely read more Fantasy!!
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-05-09 11:07 AM (#13521 - in reply to #13520)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - 2016-05-09 10:56 AM

I got Well of Ascension from the Library May 4th and am 20% in. I am doing the audiobook on this one, because I also have an ARC of Justin Cronin's City of Mirror. Both are 600 plus page books, so I figured I can "read" Ascension on my commute. I'm really enjoying that this story is really the tale of what happens after the "happily ever after."

If all fantasy was like Mr. Sanderson's work I would definitely read more Fantasy!!

YES to all of this. I think you'll enjoy the more cerebral, mysterious nature of WOA. It's a little slower and requires a bit more patience, but the character development and analysis is wonderful. And I've often said the same thing about "after the happily ever after." It's like the old arguments about what a disaster blowing up the second Death Star would have caused on Endor. Nice to see some repercussions for the heroes' actions.

And I suspect that Sanderson's style will have a huge impact on fantasy for the next generation or two. If you're enjoying this, I'd suggest taking up Patrick Rothfuss's Name of the Wind. He's a little more artful with his language than Sanderson, even if he's a little less artful in storytelling. Great read (or listen).
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-05-09 12:33 PM (#13527 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

OMG!?!? "The Watcher" Zane = Anti-Eland. Half brothers and both in love with Vin. Oohh this book is getting juicier than the best soap opera.

Edited by Badseedgirl 2016-05-09 12:34 PM
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-05-09 12:36 PM (#13528 - in reply to #13527)
Quote Reply

Love the enthusiasm! You must promise us some detailed thoughts when you've finished the trilogy!!
Weesam
Posted 2016-05-09 5:07 PM (#13532 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I have finished my Brandon Sanderson challenge. Nothing left to read. What am I going to do with the rest of the year? When is his next book coming out?

Guess I'm not a Sanderson newbie anymore.
Posted 2016-05-10 6:58 AM (#13534 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

Just write up a couple reviews.
TheLegendarium
Posted 2016-05-10 11:31 AM (#13536 - in reply to #12273)
Quote Reply

True dat, we love to read everyone's reviews.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)