open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: Administrator)

Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

TotallyTomatoes
Posted 2016-02-17 7:43 PM (#12723 - in reply to #12307)
Subject: RE: Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

New User

Saw the review daxx posted for Ponies and it captured my interest.

I thought Kij Johnson wrote an incredible story. Contrasting the sweetness of the characters with the horror of the action makes the point eloquently obvious.

Great read! I'm have a fabulous time with this challenge by reading all sorts of stories outside my usual sci-fi focus.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
illegible_scribble
Posted 2016-02-19 7:24 PM (#12762 - in reply to #12655)
Subject: Re: Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

subscribing to thread
valashain
Posted 2016-02-22 2:44 PM (#12806 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

At 404 entries, it is as complete as I can make it. I will keep an eye out for new additions though.
juliael71
Posted 2016-02-22 2:53 PM (#12808 - in reply to #12806)
Quote Reply

If we see ones that are missing -- should we speak up? Like I don't Marissa Meyer's stories for her Lunar Chronicles?
valashain
Posted 2016-02-22 2:58 PM (#12809 - in reply to #12808)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I did look into those but they have been removed from Tor.com some time ago. I suspect it has something to do with a collection of Lunar Chronicles shorts that was published last month.

If you see any we missed go a head and put them in the requests thread though.
juliael71
Posted 2016-02-22 3:02 PM (#12810 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Ah, yes, the Stars Above collection included all of those. Of course, I read/bought them before that. Didn't realize they'd been taken offline.
brightbetween
Posted 2016-03-14 5:31 PM (#12989 - in reply to #12307)
Subject: RE: Tor.com Free Short Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Hi, I'm new to Worlds Without End, found out about this challenge from tor.com. I love getting exposed to new authors and stories -- really have to recommend AM Dellmonica's Stormwrack stories a lot! Seriously, if you like seafaring/island nation fantasy, go read them right now. I'm now off to read the novels set in the same world (first one is Child of a Hidden Sea). I am having a problem rating books on the site though. Every time I try to click on the stars below the cover image, a little box pops up saying "Your rating: not rated. Click to change rating", and I can't get it to go away, nor does it save my rating. Any help would be appreciated. I'm on an iPad if that makes any difference. Thanks!
Dlw28
Posted 2016-03-14 7:53 PM (#12991 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

Glad you mentioned that issue as I've had the same problem. I'll tell you what I do but perhaps admin has a better solution!

I press the stars about 5 times (it almost always says that there is no rating), then I check how many current ratings the book has. I press 'submit' and check to see if the number of ratings is now higher by one and the red stars are marked. Then I know my rating has gone through.

Kinda haphazard though...
brightbetween
Posted 2016-03-14 8:00 PM (#12992 - in reply to #12991)
Quote Reply

That worked -- thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2016-03-14 11:12 PM (#12993 - in reply to #12992)
Quote Reply

Admin

We'll look into the rating function tomorrow -- time permitting.  Sorry for the hassle.
DrNefario
Posted 2016-03-15 6:15 AM (#12996 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

You only have to tap the stars twice, on an iPad. I think it's something it does because there's no mouse pointer, and therefore no mouse-over. I've seen the same thing in a few places, and on other sites. The page forwards/backwards arrows on the lists are the same. The difficulty with the ratings is that you do have to hit the same score twice, which can be tricky.
brightbetween
Posted 2016-03-25 9:01 PM (#13070 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Sorry, I keep asking random questions. How can I get a story added to the database? I read "The Weather" by Caighlan Smith, which is new on tor.com, and I don't see it here yet. Thanks!
illegible_scribble
Posted 2016-03-25 9:07 PM (#13071 - in reply to #13070)
Quote Reply

Uber User

brightbetween - 2016-03-26 2:01 PM Sorry, I keep asking random questions. How can I get a story added to the database? I read "The Weather" by Caighlan Smith, which is new on tor.com, and I don't see it here yet. Thanks!

Please don't apologize for asking questions, random or otherwise.

The best bet for all Database Add Requests is to post them here, since all the Uber Users are subscribed to the thread:
Can't find the book you want? Make your book requests here! Part II  

The Tor.com fiction was Valashain's pet project, and he's been pretty good about keeping up with new Tor.com original fiction, so I'm sure he'll be getting to it soon if someone else doesn't do it first. 

valashain
Posted 2016-03-26 3:09 AM (#13074 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm a bit behind on... well everything really and WWend is usually the fist to suffer. Slipped this one in for you.
brightbetween
Posted 2016-03-26 2:12 PM (#13079 - in reply to #13074)
Quote Reply

Thank you!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-06-01 1:28 PM (#13689 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I guess I'm a glutton, because I have decided to sign up for this challenge late in the game, but I guess better late than never. I went over to tor.com just to pick up the "Wave of Infection" by Jason Hough. And I found "zombie week." I saw several shorts I decided I wanted to read. Might as well sign up for the challenge.
Administrator
Posted 2016-06-10 10:33 AM (#13767 - in reply to #13689)
Quote Reply

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2016-06-01 1:28 PM I guess I'm a glutton, because I have decided to sign up for this challenge late in the game, but I guess better late than never. I went over to tor.com just to pick up the "Wave of Infection" by Jason Hough. And I found "zombie week." I saw several shorts I decided I wanted to read. Might as well sign up for the challenge.

Just one more challenge, eh?  I keep having to fight off that temptation myself.  That new High Fantasy Reading Challenge is calling to me now.  At least with this one it's shorts so you can squeeze them in between longer works.  A palate cleanser if you will  And with 200 days plus still to go it won't be terribly burdensome though if you were already pushing it with other challenges it can still be a pip.  Good luck!

Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-06-12 7:15 PM (#13795 - in reply to #13767)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I am working on the "zombie" shorts right now. They have been a bit hit or miss, but have overall liked most of them. I especially liked "Preparations" by Mark Mills.
GiantPanda
Posted 2016-08-14 4:11 PM (#14197 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

This has been a crazy month. Your challenge made me read through the complete Tor.com archive in just a few weeks. (Could you please send some one over for cleaning and gardening? I don't have time...) Seriously, so many great stories. And there have been several authors whose other works have immediately gone on my TBR pile. (Leigh Bardugo! Charles Stross! Michael Swanwick! Angela Slatter! Matt Wallace! )

If I have to name favorites (both are from the non-free novella program):
K. J. Parker, The Devil You know. Great variation of the Faust legend (so much better than Goethe - I am German, read that one at school.)
Alter S. Reiss, Sunset Mantle. The plot is not very original, but the language just ... sings.

Some other stuff that I also rated 5 stars:
Brennan, Daughter of Necessity
Staveley, The Log Goblin
Lingen, Points of Origin
Liu, Reborn
Vaughn, That Game We Played During the War
Turtledove, We Haven't Got There Yet

(There is more.)

Thanks for starting this and point me to the Tor fiction archive!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2016-09-02 5:10 PM (#14263 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've decided to focus on this challenge for September. I had a couple good reads, and a couple frustrating ones so far. I also read the first novel in Carrie Vaughn's series Kitty Norville, based on the short story "Kitty's Zombie New Year." I'm also going to look up Courtney Alameda's series based on her short story "Trigger." That is two, count em, two new female authors found through WWE and this challenge!
Dlw28
Posted 2016-12-27 7:02 AM (#14792 - in reply to #12307)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

I'm behind! May not finish but that's not an indication that I haven't enjoyed the challenge and the wonderful resource. Thank you!
Administrator
Posted 2016-12-28 9:42 AM (#14799 - in reply to #14792)
Quote Reply

Admin

Dlw28 - 2016-12-27 7:02 AM I'm behind! May not finish but that's not an indication that I haven't enjoyed the challenge and the wonderful resource. Thank you!

I fell off the pace long ago but still managed the read some great stories and a few new to me authors. I'm just going to have to have another go for 2017!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)