open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Kiss a lover Dance a measure, Find your name And Buried treasure..." - Neil Gaiman (The Graveyard Book)
- (Added by: Emil)

In Translation Challenge 2016
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

charlesdee
Posted 2016-01-10 8:16 PM (#12361)
Subject: In Translation Challenge 2016
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks for joining the In Translation Challenge . This is the third year for the challenge, and every year the sf publishing world seems to be catching onto the fact that there is a lot of good stuff out there from Europe, Asia, and Latin America. There is no way to search the site for translated titles, so let's help one another out and fill out lists with titles as soon as possible You can always make changes as the year progresses. I am going to use this forum to list new authors, titles, and specialty publishers. Remember to request new titles through the "Can't Find the Book You Want" forum.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
charlesdee
Posted 2016-01-11 6:18 AM (#12370 - in reply to #12361)
Subject: Re: In Translation Challenge 2016
Quote Reply

Uber User

Weesam has filled his challenge list with a great group of books, most of them unfamiliar to me.Carlos Ruiz Zafon is a bestseller in Europe and has made the New York Times list in the past.His Cemetery of Forgotten Books series gets read rreviews. Weesam has also unconvered a book by the Strugatsky brothers I didn't know, Monday Begins on Saturday. It's in the SF Masterworks series, so its perfect for readers looking for titles to do double duty on their challenges. Thanks, Weesam, for the suggestions.
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-11 11:53 PM (#12377 - in reply to #12361)
Quote Reply

Uber User

All those books were on my TBR list for this year, so I was happy to find a challenge to place them into.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-03-05 7:43 PM (#12903 - in reply to #12361)
Subject: RE: In Translation Challenge 2016
Quote Reply

Uber User

This year I decided to read books translated from 12 different languages.   I'm off to a good start, with French, German, Italian, Persian, Polish and Spanish read so far.  Coming up is Chinese, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian and Yoruban.  After that, I'm not sure - Catalan? Dutch? Icelandic? Turkish?
charlesdee
Posted 2016-03-05 8:56 PM (#12904 - in reply to #12903)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Engelbrecht - 2016-03-05 7:43 PM

This year I decided to read books translated from 12 different languages. I'm off to a good start, with French, German, Italian, Persian, Polish and Spanish read so far. Coming up is Chinese, Japanese, Norwegian, Russian and Yoruban. After that, I'm not sure - Catalan? Dutch? Icelandic? Turkish?

If you are looking for Icelandic, try the books by Sjon
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-03-05 10:52 PM (#12908 - in reply to #12361)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yep, he's on the list!
nottheone
Posted 2016-07-02 4:44 PM (#13903 - in reply to #12361)
Quote Reply

Love the lists people have already posted in this challenge!

Question: I'm not sure how to get new books added so that I can add them to my challenge. The "Can't find it" forum says to only submit books by authors who are already in the database and most of the foreign authors I want to add aren;t in the database.

Administrator
Posted 2016-07-02 11:12 PM (#13906 - in reply to #13903)
Quote Reply

Admin

nottheone - 2016-07-02 4:44 PM Love the lists people have already posted in this challenge! Question: I'm not sure how to get new books added so that I can add them to my challenge. The "Can't find it" forum says to only submit books by authors who are already in the database and most of the foreign authors I want to add aren;t in the database.

That was an old requirement.  You can ask for any traditionally published author now.  We don't do self-published authors.  The books have to be in English of course.

nottheone
Posted 2016-07-03 8:52 AM (#13910 - in reply to #13906)
Quote Reply

Thanks fur the clarification!
nottheone
Posted 2016-07-04 9:19 AM (#13915 - in reply to #12361)
Quote Reply

In the spirit of cataloging World SF, I have added 12 books, trying to avoid books others already had on their lists. Some of the books on my list I've read in the past. The others are now my challenge to finish this year. This is a great challenge! Thanks for giving me lots of ideas for books to add to my reading list.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)