open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk. -- Lemony Snicket
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Discoveries in Genre
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-01-21 4:38 AM (#12451)
Subject: Discoveries in Genre
Quote Reply

Uber User

There are loads of genre books lurking in the mainstream shelves - some good, some bad, but generally different from what you'll usually find in the F&SF section.  So, if you're not in the mood for yet another space opera or epic quest fantasy, try casting a little further afield and see what you might find.  Some of my most enjoyable reading experiences have been books that I've just stumbled upon, and I have no idea what to expect, except that it'll be something different from the usual fare.

Let us know what you find, or if you'd like some suggestions.  And if you find something that's not already in the WWE DB, that's all to the good - request it, and it will be added in short order.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-21 11:56 PM (#12460 - in reply to #12451)
Subject: Re: Discoveries in Genre
Quote Reply

Uber User

I joined in and hope I have understood the rules correctly. All the books I added are books I have found on the mainstream shelves of my local bookstore, not the SF/F section.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-01-22 12:22 AM (#12461 - in reply to #12451)
Subject: RE: Discoveries in Genre
Quote Reply

Uber User

You did (sorry I wasn't clearer), and it looks like you've got some great books lined up.  Amis' The Green Man is a particular favorite of mine.  I don't know anything about Atkinson's Human Croquet, but I'm looking forward to hearing about it.  Welcome aboard!
Weesam
Posted 2016-01-22 1:10 AM (#12462 - in reply to #12461)
Quote Reply

Uber User

You were probably clear enough, it's just that it has been a very long, very hot Friday here, and now it is evening, still hot, and my brain is mush.

I have not read any Kingsley Amis before, although I certainly know of him. Good to have a recommendation. I am looking forward to it.

The nice thing is that none of these books were particularly high up my TBR pile, so it is nice to rescue them from languishing somewhere in the nether regions of the pile, where they may not have ever been gotten to.

Edited by Weesam 2016-01-22 1:14 AM
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-01-22 2:30 AM (#12463 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Eek - the dreaded TBR pile.  I think by now mine is more like a compost heap than a pile - my copy of Ragtime has been somewhere in there for about 20 years now...  Glad to be of service with the TBR pile!
dustydigger
Posted 2016-01-25 9:39 AM (#12492 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I may try this later in the year. People may find some interesting books in the Slipstream section of resources.
Also almost anything by Jonathan Carroll! lol
Engelbrecht
Posted 2016-01-26 3:14 AM (#12497 - in reply to #12492)
Quote Reply

Uber User

dustydigger - 2016-01-25 7:39 AM I may try this later in the year. People may find some interesting books in the Slipstream section of resources. Also almost anything by Jonathan Carroll! lol

You're welcome anytime - I KNOW you never have enough books to read on your plate... 

Thanks for the Slipstream tip!  Magic Realism is another helpful category, and here's an interesting list of magic realism books .  Another fruitful source is translated books, many of which are interesting "literary" works.

As to Jonathan Carroll. by "lol", do you mean Land of Laughs   If so, it's one of the only above average books he's written (Voice of Our Shadow was the other, both of which I very much recommend).  I swear I don't know why I keep reading him - his best work was his first two novels, written more than thirty years ago.  That sounds a little harsh, but I was pretty frustrated by his most recent novel, Bathing the Lion - he seems to keep rehashing the same material, and his writing has, if anything, regressed over the years.

dalex
Posted 2016-07-17 6:59 AM (#14029 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I am so excited about this challenge because it's about my very favorite type of books! After changing my mind 86 times (approximately) I've settled on these six books as my selections.

1.      The Chimes by Anna Smaill (nominated for the Booker Prize, a British literary award

2.      The Great Glass Sea by Josh Weil (described as a "sui generis novel" - an artistic work that goes beyond conventional genre boundaries) 

3.      The Life of Elves by Muriel Barbery (literary fiction, with elves) 

4.      The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley (won the British Costa First Novel Prize, a British literary award) 

5.      Mr. Splitfoot by Samantha Hunt (literary fiction, with ghosts) 

6.      Not on Fire, but Burning by Greg Hrbek (described as "not exactly a thriller, not exactly sci-fi, not exactly speculative fiction" )

Edited by dalex 2016-07-17 7:06 AM
dalex
Posted 2016-07-19 4:03 PM (#14046 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Veteran

http://www.tor.com/2016/07/19/five-recent-books-hovering-at-the-edg...
dalex
Posted 2016-08-13 7:10 AM (#14182 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Would it be possible to add another level to the number of books required?
Engelbrecht
Posted 2017-01-01 4:21 AM (#14841 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I seem to have sadly neglected this thread - something to add to my New Year's resolution list!

I've created a 2017 Discoveries challenge for all the stalwart explorers out there - enjoy!

dalex
Posted 2017-01-07 9:03 PM (#14995 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Would it be possible to add another level to the number of books required?
Engelbrecht
Posted 2017-01-08 4:30 AM (#15002 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Sure, although I had in mind that this would be something of a less time-consuming challenge - so many of the other challenges are 12 book challenges.  How many books did you have in mind?
dalex
Posted 2017-01-08 5:22 AM (#15003 - in reply to #15002)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Engelbrecht - 2017-01-08 5:30 AM Sure, although I had in mind that this would be something of a less time-consuming challenge - so many of the other challenges are 12 book challenges.  How many books did you have in mind?

With crossover with other challenges I could easily do 12 books.  15 or 18 would be a bit of a stretch but very doable.  Thanks!

Engelbrecht
Posted 2017-01-08 10:47 PM (#15013 - in reply to #15003)
Quote Reply

Uber User

dalex - 2017-01-08 3:22 AM

Engelbrecht - 2017-01-08 5:30 AM Sure, although I had in mind that this would be something of a less time-consuming challenge - so many of the other challenges are 12 book challenges.  How many books did you have in mind?

With crossover with other challenges I could easily do 12 books.  15 or 18 would be a bit of a stretch but very doable.  Thanks!

I'm reluctant to increase the challenge to that large a size.  As I'd said, I had intended this challenge to be relatively undemanding - something of an aperitif, as opposed to a 12-pack.  I also wouldn't want to drastically change the challenge requirements for other people who've already signed up for the challenge.  Further, in looking at the participation from this year and last year, it seems that most people prefer a smaller size for this challenge (save perhaps the indefatigable Weesam, who seems to have no limits!)

That said, there's no reason to limit yourself to the scope of the challenge.  In fact, I applaud your enthusiasm, and look forward to hearing about your discoveries!

Weesam
Posted 2017-01-08 11:00 PM (#15014 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ha ha. Actually, I think I do have limits, and I'm quite happy with this challenge remaining as it is. Some smaller challenges are always nice. I've just got to stop always having to do the top level of every challenge!
dalex
Posted 2017-01-09 5:59 AM (#15016 - in reply to #15013)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I think you misunderstood me.  What I meant was to add additional levels of book requirements, while keeping the option of only 6 books as you originally created the challenge.  

Edited by dalex 2017-01-09 6:02 AM
dalex
Posted 2017-01-09 11:50 PM (#15022 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I'm going to go ahead and create a second version of this challenge with higher levels of book requirements. That way you can keep the challenge as you originally created it while also allowing the option of more books for those that might want to do that.

Edited by dalex 2017-01-09 11:51 PM
Engelbrecht
Posted 2017-01-10 12:35 AM (#15024 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Dalex,

I didn't misunderstand you - I simply didn't want to add another challenge level with a significantly higher requirement, for the reasons enumerated above (and as echoed by Weesam).

To avoid confusion, I would prefer that you make your second discoveries challenge a private challenge (by editing the challenge and selecting Private).

Thanks.
dalex
Posted 2017-01-10 1:00 AM (#15025 - in reply to #15024)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I edited the challenge I created to be an entirely different challenge rather a part two of this challenge. Sorry if I offended you.
Thomcat
Posted 2017-01-20 11:11 AM (#15133 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

I've joined, reading two that I didn't expect to find on this site. I plan to expand that to four, adding a pair of female authors to the males already chosen.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2017-01-22 5:12 PM (#15158 - in reply to #12451)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Welcome to the challenge!

I see that you felt that Being There wasn't really SF.

My own take on things is to be pretty widely inclusive, as seems to be the case with some other significant sources like ISFDB and the Encyclopedia of SF, both of which consider Being There to be SF.  I haven't read the book, but based on the movie, it could be viewed as alternate history/near future SF.  But perhaps it's better viewed as something of a SF fable.  There's an interesting discussion here of Fabulist Fiction, which encompasses edge cases like this.

Anyhow, an unstated goal of the challenge is to get people to examine their definitions of just what genre is, so it seems to have been a success here!  I really should tweak the challenge description to reflect this - thanks for guiding my thought in this direction!

Edited by Engelbrecht 2017-01-22 5:16 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)