open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind. - Cervantes (Don Quixote)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Apocalypse Now 2016 Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-03 11:22 AM (#16647 - in reply to #14540)
Subject: Re: Apocalypse Now 2016 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Badseedgirl - 2016-11-08 8:09 AM

I have put "The Screwfly Solution" on my challenge, I normally would not put a short story into a challenge, except for the Tor.com challenge obviously, but this little gem packs such a wallop in a small package that I could not help but add it.

I also realized S.M. Stirling was not on my list, how could I have an apoc reading list and not include the master of the sword and shield post apoc world created in his series "Emberverse." I had to start with book 5 (or book 2 of Emberverse II) because I have already read the first ones. The series is a delicious romp into the post apoc world, highly recommend the series for it's entertainment value, not its literary merits, which are admittedly thin!!

I've read Stirling's first trilogy in that series and loved it. Going to work on doing a re-read this year so that I can remember the details well enough to follow everything that happens in the later books. I would have to cite Stirling as one of my influences for my Wyrd West series (along with The Dark Tower series, of course). Add in Tolkien and probably War Day, and spaghetti westerns, and that's the batch of stuff churning around in my head that built that idea.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-03 11:24 AM (#16648 - in reply to #13933)
Quote Reply

Veteran

kabouter - 2016-07-06 6:24 AM

Just finished book 8 for this challenge which was 'I Am Legend', although 'The Mist' by Stephen King is probably a borderline case as per the rules (because it's not really certain that the whole world is gone). Now starting with 'The Girl With All the Gifts'.

I'd count The Mist. It seems pretty clear something horrible and dramatic has happened, the movie notwithstanding.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-03 11:26 AM (#16649 - in reply to #16569)
Quote Reply

Veteran

dalex - 2017-12-27 4:43 AM

I read 18 books for the Apocalypse Now challenge. These were my favorites.

The Chimes by Anna Smaill
The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers
The Book of the Unnamed Midwife and The Book of Etta by Meg Elison
The Power by Naomi Alderman
A Lovely Way to Burn by Louise Welsh

(I probably violated the whole no dystopia rule of the challenge. I just categorize all these types of books as "end of the world". Sorry!)

Hey, it's cool, you decide your choices! I just tried to exclude strictly dystopia (as opposed to dystopia AND apocalypse) because everyone was reading dystopia exclusively without facing the existential angst of the end of the world and the possible mortality of the human species.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)