open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "It is often very useful for others to think you less intelligent than you are," Benedict said, his tone amused. "It works particularly well against those who aren't as intelligent as you in the first place." - Jim Butcher (The Aeronaut's Windlass)
- (Added by: devilinlaw)

Recommendations for a book about dwarves?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Bormgans
Posted 2016-07-24 12:16 PM (#14072)
Subject: Recommendations for a book about dwarves?

Regular

I just finished Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry, and in that trilogy dwarves only play a siderole, as in so many fantasy.

That got me thinking I've never read or come across a fantasy novel that focusses on dwarves. So, if you know any good ones, please reply.

Edited by bleebs 2016-07-24 12:18 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2016-07-24 12:39 PM (#14075 - in reply to #14072)
Subject: RE: Recommendations for a book about dwarves?

Admin

bleebs - 2016-07-24 12:16 PM I just finished Kay's The Fionavar Tapestry, and in that trilogy dwarves only play a siderole, as in so many fantasy. That got me thinking I've never read or come across a fantasy novel that focusses on dwarves. So, if you know any good ones, please reply.

Can't call it a recommendation because I haven't read them but Markus Heitz has a 4 part series called The Dwarves that aught to answer your desire.  Book 1 has a 4 star average from 3 ratings.  The covers are bad ass and I've always wanted to delve into them (you see what I did there?) but just never got around to it.  

As a kid I read Denis McKiernan's Trek to Kraggen-Cor and The Brega Path which are replete with dwarves.  Being a Tolkien fan I was always looking for something like LOTR and I found those books to be derivative of Tolkien but in a way that I liked.  The story, which I don't remember very well, had huge underground battles between dwarves and orcs and seemed to be McKiernan's take on the War of the Dwarves and Orcs that is only hinted at in LOTR and The Silmarillion etc.  It scratched my itch at the time as I recall but I don't know if it would stand up to an adult's scrutiny.

Bormgans
Posted 2016-07-25 2:35 AM (#14079 - in reply to #14075)
Subject: Re: Recommendations for a book about dwarves?

Regular

Thanks for those! Judging by the gist of the 1 & 2 star Goodreads reviews, I don't think The Dwarves is for me, I'm looking for something more intricate. Chances are that the novel I'm looking for simply doesn't exist...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)