open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Ignorance is a powerful armor against the truth. -- B. Herbert & K.J. Anderson (Mentats of Dune)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Reading a Book After Seeing the Movie
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

UnknownVoyage
Posted 2016-12-24 1:30 AM (#14762)
Subject: Reading a Book After Seeing the Movie

New User

This is my first true forum post besides one for technical difficulties, so I'll start with a.. predicament I've encountered.

Since I was relatively young when I first saw Lord of the Rings, I saw the movies first and then read the books. And truth be told, I do think that the movie is spot on. The Hobbit ran into more and more issues before ultimately cascading into fire, however.

Have any of you ever seen the movie first before reading the books? Was it an odd experience? Mine was, partly because if I would've read the LOTR trilogy first, there would've been a lot more to take on, and they completely skip over the end in the films.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
illegible_scribble
Posted 2016-12-24 4:41 AM (#14763 - in reply to #14762)
Subject: Re: Reading a Book After Seeing the Movie

Uber User

Are you referring to books and movies made from them in general? Or specifically to LoTR?

I generally read the books before seeing movies. Often this is just because I've read the novel long before the movie ever got made. And I've found that I prefer doing it in that order, because the novels will usually have a lot of subtle context and details that they simply don't attempt to capture on film, because it would be too much to try to put it all in the movie. And sometimes they'll change the ending in the movies (sometimes this is for the better, other times, it's for the worse).

However, if the novel is a tie-in, written specifically to accompany the movie, I will usually see the movie first to avoid spoiling the movie. In most cases I thought this worked well. I wouldn't have wanted to spoil Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan -- but I did find that the novelization had way more detail and context which really enhanced the movie in hindsight.

As far as LoTR, I have to admit that I read it many years ago, long before the Peter Jackson movies, and honestly, it was enjoyable enough for me to read it once, but no more than that -- but I am just not the world's biggest Tolkien fan. I enjoyed the movies simply because -- perhaps especially because -- they did not try to cram in everything from the books.

Deven Science
Posted 2017-05-05 9:28 PM (#15674 - in reply to #14762)
Subject: Re: Reading a Book After Seeing the Movie

Uber User

I have done it, though it's rare. In general, if I watch a movie based on a book, and I really like the movie, I won't read the book after. Not sure why. Something like if the book turns out to be really good, it could sully my memory of the movie?

Fight Club is one of the few exceptions. Read it after, and liked it for the sameness and the differences.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)