open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Things that try to look like things often do look more like things than things. Well-known fact. - Terry Pratchett (Wyrd Sisters)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Hard Core Sci-Fi 2017 Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2016-12-31 9:47 AM (#14832)
Subject: Hard Core Sci-Fi 2017 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Don't think that space opera is actually science fiction? Think that the operative word of "science fiction" should be "science?" This is the challenge for you! I wanted to read more hard science fiction this year and I hope you'll join me! The rules:

Only books listed in the "hard sci-fi" subgenre are elgible (so if it isn't, and you think it should be, talk to the Admins)

Must be consistant with the science of the time in which it was written (it's okay if it's contradicted by later science).

Rereads of books read as recently as five years ago are permitted, but no earlier.

Since this seems to be the rarest of science fiction sub-genres I won't put any more limits on it than that!

However, I'd really like to encourage readers do a) do the reviews, and b) discuss the science behind the fiction in our forum discussion. Why? Because we're nerds, that's why, and science is fun!

Starts January 1!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2016-12-31 12:42 PM (#14834 - in reply to #14832)
Subject: Re: Hard Core Sci-Fi 2017 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

I am definitely in for this challenge cause I am a nerd and science is definitely fun!
Weesam
Posted 2016-12-31 1:52 PM (#14835 - in reply to #14832)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm in. Yah, first 2017 challenge.

I will point out that we can add books to sub-genres. Admins not required. The sub-genres come from the "My Sub-Genre Tags" on the book page. You can add up to three sub-genres for each book. It's always good to add sub-genres to the books you read, especially if they don't have any. It helps the site become even better - and it is something we can do. Most of us can't add books, but we can categorise them into sub-genre.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-01 9:45 AM (#14843 - in reply to #14835)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Well, that's cool Weesam, thanks! I'm still not an Uber-User, I'm still learning stuff. I will delete that note about the Admins, then.

My first offering for this year is going to be "The Martian." I've been wanting to read that for more than a year. I was watching a chat with former Mythbuster Adam Savage (who has an extremely cool YouTube channel called "Tested" if you want to know what he's doing these days,) Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, and Andy Weir at the aftershow of the premiere of the movie. The audience and Weir himself were asking Hadfield how he did on this or that detail, and aside from the wind issue, which Weir admits was an inaccuracy right from the beginning, Hadfield seemed to think Weir did pretty well. That's a pretty glowing recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I bet you both have probably read it already. But no matter!

Speaking of which; HOLY CRAP, NEW SPACE RACE! China announced they're aiming for a Mars mission by the end of the decade (I assume they mean a probe and some sort of lander at this point,) and NASA (and the Canadian Space Agency too; we're working together on this one) has been public about working on a manned mission to Mars for quite some time now. Russia's working on a manned mission at a slightly slower timeline than North America, and the European Space Agency have also made it a goal. And India and Japan sent orbiters (India was successful; Japan was not.) Not to mention the private projects in discussion! We live in exciting times, my friends.

Anyway, I'm excited that some fellow nerds want to join me to talk about even nerdier stuff than the nerdy stuff we already talk about on this site (which is pretty nerdy). Thanks!
Administrator
Posted 2017-01-01 11:48 AM (#14849 - in reply to #14843)
Quote Reply

Admin

Sable Aradia - 2017-01-01 9:45 AM Well, that's cool Weesam, thanks! I'm still not an Uber-User, I'm still learning stuff. I will delete that note about the Admins, then. My first offering for this year is going to be "The Martian." I've been wanting to read that for more than a year. I was watching a chat with former Mythbuster Adam Savage (who has an extremely cool YouTube channel called "Tested" if you want to know what he's doing these days,) Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, and Andy Weir at the aftershow of the premiere of the movie. The audience and Weir himself were asking Hadfield how he did on this or that detail, and aside from the wind issue, which Weir admits was an inaccuracy right from the beginning, Hadfield seemed to think Weir did pretty well. That's a pretty glowing recommendation as far as I'm concerned! I bet you both have probably read it already. But no matter! Speaking of which; HOLY CRAP, NEW SPACE RACE! China announced they're aiming for a Mars mission by the end of the decade (I assume they mean a probe and some sort of lander at this point,) and NASA (and the Canadian Space Agency too; we're working together on this one) has been public about working on a manned mission to Mars for quite some time now. Russia's working on a manned mission at a slightly slower timeline than North America, and the European Space Agency have also made it a goal. And India and Japan sent orbiters (India was successful; Japan was not.) Not to mention the private projects in discussion! We live in exciting times, my friends. Anyway, I'm excited that some fellow nerds want to join me to talk about even nerdier stuff than the nerdy stuff we already talk about on this site (which is pretty nerdy). Thanks!

You're touching on a lot of great stuff in that post!  I'll be brief 'cause the Cowboys are about to kick off.

More Uber User invitations will be coming out with the new site and you and Weesam are already on the shortlist.  We're waiting for the new site because we'll have a new and improved interface that removes a bunch of fiddly bits that are a hassle right now and because I won't be able to keep up with current site maintenance and build the new site with a bunch of eager new Ubers adding data.

Mars is a great book with tons of the science bits you're craving so a good choice there.  The audio version has a great narrator.

Tested is really awesome!

Stoked about China turning this into a new space race!  We need that spur to get the politicians off their arses and push it all forward.

Great challenge too!  I've going at Quartz level -- gotta see what else is coming out before I over-commit myself.  Love the banners you mode for your challenges too!

Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-01 3:16 PM (#14856 - in reply to #14849)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Aww, shucks! That's a nice thing to say! I wasn't plugging or anything, just so that's clear . . . I didn't honestly know how one becomes an Uber User; I assumed it was time/number of posts and I'm still just a regular here. But it's cool to be considered . . . Hope you're enjoying your game!

Edited by Sable Aradia 2017-01-01 3:21 PM
Weesam
Posted 2017-01-01 11:16 PM (#14867 - in reply to #14832)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Oh wow, that would be so cool. I'm coming on on my three year anniversary with WWEnd this month, and an Uber User invite would be like the best present.

@Sable Aradia - we do indeed live in interesting times. Thanks for the post, I hadn't caught up on all that.
majkia
Posted 2017-01-03 8:48 AM (#14925 - in reply to #14832)
Subject: RE: Hard Core Sci-Fi 2017 Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

I'm in. We'll see how well I do!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-03 11:29 AM (#16651 - in reply to #14832)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Welcome to a new year of hard sci-fi! I didn't finish this last year, so this year I intend to make it up. I was concentrating on writing really hard and fell down on most of my challenges. But, I did get a lot of writing out there! I'm taking it a bit more easy this year. What is everyone starting with?
Firefrost
Posted 2018-05-04 6:48 PM (#17003 - in reply to #14832)
Quote Reply

New User

Great challenge - already has me picking out some excellent sci fi that I have missed over the last few years. Started with a Case of Conscience, and then The Three Body problem. Highly recommend the second! Need to go look up the physics it in though. If anyone can tell me how legit it is that would be awesome.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)