open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

2017 Military Spec-Fic Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-01 10:08 AM (#14844)
Subject: 2017 Military Spec-Fic Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

Space Marines! Paladin Orders! Star Navies! There's literally armies of them in science fiction and fantasy (and a lot of the tales of war certainly cross over into horror). Because I read a lot of this genre I'm creating a challenge for it this year.

To enlist:

Read up to 12 books that are classified as military fiction.

All genres of military fiction are acceptable if they qualify for this site. Science fiction, fantasy, and/or horror all are perfectly fine.

Video game and role-play tie-ins are acceptable, if they suit the challenge (ie. HALO, Warhammer, Warhammer 40,000, BattleTech, Mechwarrior, StarCraft, Overwatch, etc.)

Re-reads must be from something you read at least a decade ago! (Yes, I realize that this somewhat limits the back catalogue for our younger recruits, but you know what? That's the benefit of experience, greenhorn.)

Suggested material may be found at the Baen Readers' List of Recommended Military SF, but is by no means limited to this list.

Have you understood the terms and conditions, recruit? Very well; just sign here . . . Great! Welcome aboard! Go suit up; training is about to begin.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2017-01-01 11:27 AM (#14848 - in reply to #14844)
Subject: RE: 2017 Military Spec-Fic Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

I'm in for sure!  Been hankering for some military SF lately.
DrNefario
Posted 2017-01-02 5:57 AM (#14872 - in reply to #14844)
Subject: Re: 2017 Military Spec-Fic Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm in, too. I love a bit of mil-SF, and I'm quite happy with military fantasy, too. I'm not going to put too much pressure on, though. I'll start with a low target and increase it as I go.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-02 7:02 PM (#14902 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Glad you guys are joining in!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2017-01-02 9:01 PM (#14906 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm not well versed in this subgenre, but looking over my TBR pile (well lets be honest, it's an entire bookshelf!) I have three Military sci-fi sitting there waiting to be read. This is a good excuse to move them to my read pile. (again a bookshelf, or three!) If I get these done, I think I will try on The Forever War series, and then The Old Man's War series.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-07 1:57 PM (#14985 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I loved The Forever War, but I haven't read the rest of the series. I have Old Man's War sitting there too, but I haven't listed it for this year. Interestingly enough, by total accident, I think ten out of the twelve books I'm going to read for the challenge were written by women. I'm rather pleased to be dancing on the grave of a stereotype . . . but I might change off The Snow Queen (which I read before, many years ago) for Lt. Leary Commanding (David Drake,) because I have some of the rest of that series sitting on my shelf but I need to read the first one before I can read the rest of them . . .
Badseedgirl
Posted 2017-02-14 1:31 AM (#15287 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Uber User

So I got around to reading Lois McMaster Bujold, (The Warriors Apprentice) and I am convinced. Sable, I know you have been espousing her, and you pushed me other the edge to read her. Why did I wait? So good!

Edited by Badseedgirl 2017-02-14 1:32 AM
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-15 2:05 AM (#15297 - in reply to #15287)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Yes! Another convert is made!

For my part, I have FINALLY finished The Shadow of Saganami. Fairly typical Weber fare except that this time he tries to do too damn much in one book. I know why it needs to happen, but there's got to be a better way to do this! The first half was like trying to cut through prose with a machete. The last half was an awesome action thriller. Worth it, ultimately, but only just this time. Hoping At All Costs will be better.

Also, I've traded off Lt. Leary Commanding for With the Lightnings, because I now hear that that's the first one in the series.

Badseedgirl - 2017-02-13 11:31 PM

So I got around to reading Lois McMaster Bujold, (The Warriors Apprentice) and I am convinced. Sable, I know you have been espousing her, and you pushed me other the edge to read her. Why did I wait? So good!
devilinlaw
Posted 2017-04-03 2:09 PM (#15545 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Veteran

As part of this challenge, so far i have read two Star Wars YA books (Before the Awakening by Greg Rucka & Moving Target by by Cecil Castellucci & Jason Fry) & four Vorkosigan universe books by Lois McMaster Bujold (Shards of Honor, Barrayar, The Warrior's Apprentice & The Vor Game). Bujold's Vorkosigan books are quickly becoming a new favorite series of mine.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-04-03 9:09 PM (#15554 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Veteran

In case you haven't noticed by the other threads by now, Devilinlaw, I am a HUGE fan of the Vorkosigan Saga. I'm re-reading a couple of them this year because Awesome.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2017-04-29 3:07 PM (#15632 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Would Ian Douglas' books be considered Military Fiction? They certainly seem to be but you know what they say about looks? I seek guidance from a more knowledgeable source.

Edited by Badseedgirl 2017-04-29 3:08 PM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2017-04-29 3:11 PM (#15633 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Oh yeAh and I'm going to read a random "star wars book for Star wars day. Any suggestions I have read exactly zero books. I'm not even that big of a fan, I mean I loved the ewoks. I think admitting that might get me drummed out of the group
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-05-06 2:43 AM (#15680 - in reply to #15632)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Badseedgirl - 2017-04-29 1:07 PM

Would Ian Douglas' books be considered Military Fiction? They certainly seem to be but you know what they say about looks? I seek guidance from a more knowledgeable source.

Baen lists his books on their Recommended Military Sci-Fi list, so I would definitely say yes! Haven't read them myself but my nephew has and he certainly gave me that impression. Read away!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-05-06 2:47 AM (#15681 - in reply to #15633)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Badseedgirl - 2017-04-29 1:11 PM

Oh yeAh and I'm going to read a random "star wars book for Star wars day. Any suggestions I have read exactly zero books. I'm not even that big of a fan, I mean I loved the ewoks. I think admitting that might get me drummed out of the group

Wish I'd seen this; I've been avoiding the interwebs because I'm in the writing cave. But I would have recommended the Han Solo trilogy. Fun and actually fairly well-written. I also enjoyed the Old Republic novel about Revan. But I have only read a few of the books myself. You might also have found the original novelization of The Empire Strikes Back interesting because it's well-written and reveals a lot of information about things that were going on that the movies don't.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-03 11:18 AM (#16644 - in reply to #14844)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Welcome back to the Military Spec Fic Challenge! I think it's going to be an amazing year! Whatcha startin' with?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)