open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We have learned now that we cannot regard this planet as being fenced in and a secure abiding place for Man; we can never anticipate the unseen good or evil that may come upon us suddenly out of space." - H.G. Wells
- (Added by: Administrator)

2017 I Just Have To Read More of That Author
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2017-01-02 10:57 AM (#14879)
Subject: 2017 I Just Have To Read More of That Author
Quote Reply

Uber User

Here's the forum for this year's challenge. Use this to let us know how you're doing in your challenge, books you've discovered, and so on. I've already got a book read. I started it in 2016, but didn't finish it until 2017. It's "The Lost Road and other Writings" by JRR Tolkien, the 5th book in the History of Middle-Earth series.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-19 9:48 AM (#15316 - in reply to #14879)
Subject: Re: 2017 I Just Have To Read More of That Author
Quote Reply

Veteran

I have FINALLY finished The Shadow of Saganami. Fairly typical Weber fare except that this time he tries to do too damn much in one book. I know why it needs to happen, but there's got to be a better way to do this! The first half was like trying to cut through prose with a machete. The last half was an awesome action thriller. Worth it, ultimately, but only just this time. Hoping At All Costs will be better.
devilinlaw
Posted 2017-04-03 1:35 PM (#15542 - in reply to #14879)
Quote Reply

Veteran

i have read The Scar by China Mieville & The Tombs of Atuan & The Farthest Shore, both Ursula K. Le Guin, for this challenge. i was disappointed in The Scar as i was hoping for something different. It's not a bad book, i was just hoping for something else. Fingers crossed that i get it in Iron Council, the final book of the New Crobuzon/Bas Lag series. The Tombs of Atuan has turned out to be my favorite Earthsea book.
spoltz
Posted 2017-04-04 11:18 AM (#15556 - in reply to #15542)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hey Devil, are you going to read the other stories of the Earthsea cycle? LeGuin wrote a few more books past the trilogy over the years and I was just wondering. I read the trilogy in college but nothing afterwards.
jontlaw
Posted 2017-06-01 4:21 PM (#15798 - in reply to #14879)
Quote Reply

Veteran

The other three Earthsea books are solid. I enjoyed them.

My authors for this challenge so far have been Jonathan Howard and Philip K. Dick, plus one Robert Silverberg novel. Eight down and four to go, this is my fastest challenge of the year thus far.
jontlaw
Posted 2017-11-16 11:25 PM (#16467 - in reply to #14879)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Finished! Three by Jonathan Howard, one by Robert Silverberg, one by Gail Carriger, and seven by Philip K. Dick. Guess I really really had to read more by him.
ManyMoons
Posted 2017-12-31 2:51 PM (#16597 - in reply to #14879)
Quote Reply

I didn't finish this challenge. I can only do audiobook now (vision loss) and Terry Pratchett's novels are so complex, you have to do NOTHING ELSE while listening or you get lost. I'll try again this year. I am only at book #26 now having done only 6 of them this year. There's 40 in the series.

Edited by ManyMoons 2017-12-31 2:52 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)