open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Thousands of people know my flannel knickers, and though I know this may seem flirtatious, it is not. I am a saint. - Leonora Carrington (My Flannel Knickers)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

2017 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2017-01-02 11:15 AM (#14880)
Subject: 2017 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Here's the forum for this challenge. Use this space to let us know things like how you're doing in your challenge, books you've discovered, just to say hello, etc. I'm going to probably pick books mostly from the LGBTQ list here on WWEnd. Last year, I went through my local library for all the books on the list. I found where in county system the book is, or if I have to request an interlibrary loan. It was fun creating the list and I already requested a few loans last year. This year I'll probably request a couple more. Let us know how you're doing!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-02 5:32 PM (#14892 - in reply to #14880)
Subject: Re: 2017 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

As I said I was doing last year, I'm delving into the works of C.J. Cherryh with a vengeance this year. I'm currently reading Star Songs of an Old Primate by James Tiptree Jr.; just finished the first story. What a treat! I can't wait to read the rest of the collection!
Naomi_uk72
Posted 2017-01-06 10:18 AM (#14967 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I've seen the LGBTQ list on here, but I was wondering if there's also a handy list of LGBTQ authors. For example, I didn't realise C J Cherryh is in a same-sex marriage until I read Sable's comment and googled Cherryh...
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-01-06 10:42 AM (#14968 - in reply to #14967)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Naomi_uk72 - 2017-01-06 8:18 AM

I've seen the LGBTQ list on here, but I was wondering if there's also a handy list of LGBTQ authors. For example, I didn't realise C J Cherryh is in a same-sex marriage until I read Sable's comment and googled Cherryh...

Yeah, I discovered that accidentally for the same reason. I was Googling her books and found her bio. That means, of course, that you're also aware that her wife, Jane Fancher, is a fantasy author too, and one of her novels, Ring of Lightning, was a nominee for the Locus for Best First Novel, which means it's subject to the Second Best Challenge too. But it doesn't appear to be in the database yet (and neither does Jane.) I should pick them up from my bookstore and get them added I guess!

I think a list of LGBTQ authors would be a good idea. I know the team is still busy with beginning-of-year housekeeping but I wonder if they'd consider adding one at some point?
Naomi_uk72
Posted 2017-01-06 10:47 AM (#14969 - in reply to #14968)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Sable Aradia - 2017-01-05 4:42 PM

Naomi_uk72 - 2017-01-06 8:18 AM

Yeah, I discovered that accidentally for the same reason. I was Googling her books and found her bio. That means, of course, that you're also aware that her wife, Jane Fancher, is a fantasy author too, and one of her novels, Ring of Lightning, was a nominee for the Locus for Best First Novel, which means it's subject to the Second Best Challenge too. But it doesn't appear to be in the database yet (and neither does Jane.) I should pick them up from my bookstore and get them added I guess!

I think a list of LGBTQ authors would be a good idea. I know the team is still busy with beginning-of-year housekeeping but I wonder if they'd consider adding one at some point?

An LGBTQ Authors list similar to the Woman Authors one would be seriously useful, though I would imagine it might take a while to populate - I've just been going through the Wikipedia page for LGBT authors and most of the ones I knew about already aren't on there (though I did discover that Poppy Z. Brite is trans-male, so I learned something new from that).
spoltz
Posted 2017-01-06 11:05 AM (#14970 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Naomi, At one point a few years ago, I found a list like that on Wikipedia, but have since not been able to find it again. There is a list there of general LGBT authors that include some writers of spec fiction, but it is sorely lacking. For example, C J Cherryh is not on there. Without authoritative references, it would be a very difficult list to put together.
Naomi_uk72
Posted 2017-01-06 4:51 PM (#14973 - in reply to #14970)
Quote Reply

Veteran

spoltz - 2017-01-05 5:05 PM

Hi Naomi, At one point a few years ago, I found a list like that on Wikipedia, but have since not been able to find it again. There is a list there of general LGBT authors that include some writers of spec fiction, but it is sorely lacking. For example, C J Cherryh is not on there. Without authoritative references, it would be a very difficult list to put together.

That's what I was thinking. Ho hum...
dalex
Posted 2017-01-20 7:18 AM (#15127 - in reply to #14880)
Subject: RE: 2017 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Veteran

The list here on WWEnd is very very limited, imo. I've had to do a lot of research to find books to use for this challenge.

There are a lot of titles listed here --> https://theillustratedpage.wordpress.com/diversity-in-fantasy-and-sc... (Plus the resource sections have an extensive list of links.)

Blind Eye Books is a publisher of books featuing LGBT protags.  https://www.worldswithoutend.com/publisher.asp?ID=824

Edited by dalex 2017-01-20 7:32 AM
dalex
Posted 2017-01-20 8:02 AM (#15129 - in reply to #15127)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Maybe we could compile a list by each recommending our five favorite LGBTQ books? I don't know if it could be posted on the site (someone would have to ask Admin about that) but we could put it in a google doc or something with a link in the challenge description. Just a thought!
spoltz
Posted 2017-01-20 11:52 AM (#15134 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi dalex,

I think having the link to the illustrated page's list of links is a great resource. Thanks for sharing it.

The thing to remember about the LGBTQ list is that it is based on the Lambda Literary Award for SF/Fantasy/Horror and the Gaylactic Spectrum award. Originally, we were not going to have a list, but rather we were going to enter the awards. Unfortunately, we ran into several issues. The first was that some of the nominees were erotica. The admins have made an effort to keep erotica of any kind out of the database. The second was the Gaylactic awards appeared to be defunct. So our solution was to come up with a list based primarily on the winners of these two awards. It quickly grew to the list of 183 books that you see now by including some of the nominees, books from other lists I found on the internet, and suggestions from our reader community. We tried to keep it under 200 books so that it would be manageable and we could add more each year based on the succeeding years' lambda literary and gaylactic awards (now that the gaylactic is back in business). We haven't added any more books since the initial 183, at this point, but it is time we added a few more based on the latest awards and member suggestions.

As for the list from the illustrated page, it is also a good resource. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Some of its 101 books and authors are already on our list. Its links are awesome. I wish I had that list of links myself when I was compiling our list.

I have a personal challenge to read as many books on the list as I can. I'm only up to 49 so far, with 134 to go. And I expect before too long, we'll have an update to the list and increase it beyond the current 183.

And remember, our list is just a resource. It's not the only source for the challenge. And as soon as a list is created, there will be criticisms as to why some books were listed while others were not.
dalex
Posted 2017-01-21 10:28 AM (#15141 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that spoltz. Categorizing LGBTQ books is indeed challenging and I appreciate that you and others at WWEnd have offered readers at least some sort of resource. Best of luck to you reading all the books on the list!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-19 10:04 AM (#15322 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Maybe I'll compile a list on my blog. Invite people to add to the list, research it, and then continually update the page/post as it's added to. Then I'll link it in my signature somewhere so it's accessible to the site. Are there any names people might want to throw at me to start me off?
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-19 10:16 AM (#15323 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Veteran

In other news, finished Star Songs of an Old Primate. Tiptree plays some extremely intriguing games with the idea of gender, especially when one considers most of the stories were written in the 70s. Outstanding! Cannot recommend it enough.

On that subject, do we consider James Tiptree Jr. to be an LGBTQ author? Alice Sheldon maintained a whole masculine identity for Tiptree, even in correspondence, but she was happily married by all accounts to a man and of course standards were different back then. Do you think we can describe her as gender non-conforming, or is that a stretch based on what we know?
spoltz
Posted 2017-02-19 11:00 AM (#15324 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi Sable! This is one of the reasons it's so hard to have a list of LGBTQ authors. Wikipedia has a quote that indicates she was bisexual although they don't present any evidence she explored it. The article also uses the term complex orientation. In the spirit of the inclusivity of the ever expanding LGBTQIA term, I think it would be okay to include her. Is that how you were leaning?
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-19 5:38 PM (#15325 - in reply to #15324)
Quote Reply

Veteran

spoltz - 2017-02-19 9:00 AM

Hi Sable! This is one of the reasons it's so hard to have a list of LGBTQ authors. Wikipedia has a quote that indicates she was bisexual although they don't present any evidence she explored it. The article also uses the term complex orientation. In the spirit of the inclusivity of the ever expanding LGBTQIA term, I think it would be okay to include her. Is that how you were leaning?

It was indeed! A reference in Wikipedia is probably as good as casual internet research is going to get. I read over the article you mentioned, and upon consideration of what she wrote about the subject, I think she probably wouldn't mind being counted in our number.

So far, I have (that I know for sure) Charlie Jane Anders, Poppy Z. Brite, C.J. Cherryh, Samuel R. Delany, Jane Fancher, and James Tiptree Jr. Anyone else I'm missing? If not, I'm happy to start with that and let it take shape over time.
Weesam
Posted 2017-02-19 10:58 PM (#15327 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

What is it you are compiling a list of? I may be a bit slow today, it's been a hard day. If it is LGBTQ authors then add Tanya Huff and wife Fiona Patton, Caitlin Kiernan, Clive Barker, Jim Grimsley. Ellen Kushner and wife Delia Sherman, Geoff Ryman, Melissa Scott, Nicola Griffith and wife Kelley Eskridge. That's all I can think of off the top of my head (that I know for sure).
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-19 11:55 PM (#15330 - in reply to #15327)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Weesam - 2017-02-19 8:58 PM

What is it you are compiling a list of? I may be a bit slow today, it's been a hard day. If it is LGBTQ authors then add Tanya Huff and wife Fiona Patton, Caitlin Kiernan, Clive Barker, Jim Grimsley. Ellen Kushner and wife Delia Sherman, Geoff Ryman, Melissa Scott, Nicola Griffith and wife Kelley Eskridge. That's all I can think of off the top of my head (that I know for sure).

Thank you, Weesam! Yes, that's what we're compiling. This was very helpful!
dalex
Posted 2017-02-20 11:37 AM (#15333 - in reply to #15322)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Sable Aradia - 2017-02-19 11:04 AM Maybe I'll compile a list on my blog. Invite people to add to the list, research it, and then continually update the page/post as it's added to. Then I'll link it in my signature somewhere so it's accessible to the site. Are there any names people might want to throw at me to start me off?

This website  - https://lesbiansciencefiction.com - is a good resource to find lesbian authors and books featuring lesbian characters. 

Here's a few authors that probably are lesbian, though I'm not 100% positive about all of them:  Kirsty Logan, Catherynne Valente, Caitlin Kiernan, Foz Meadows, Malinda Lo, NK Jemisin, Severna Park, Jan Morris, Ellen Klages, Tenea Johnson, Chris Moriarty

And some authors who write primarily mainstream but who have a couple titles on WWEnd - Sarah Waters, Ali Smith, Jeanette Winterson, Emma Donoghue. 

And one boy for the list - Scott Wilbanks.

EDITED to correct - Jan Morris is trans, not lesbian.  

Edited by dalex 2017-02-20 12:02 PM
Rhondak101
Posted 2017-02-20 11:55 AM (#15334 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Also Raphael Carter--I just finished Fortunate Fall.
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-20 1:38 PM (#15337 - in reply to #15333)
Quote Reply

Veteran

dalex - 2017-02-20 9:37 AM

Sable Aradia - 2017-02-19 11:04 AM Maybe I'll compile a list on my blog. Invite people to add to the list, research it, and then continually update the page/post as it's added to. Then I'll link it in my signature somewhere so it's accessible to the site. Are there any names people might want to throw at me to start me off?

This website -https://lesbiansciencefiction.com - is a good resource to find lesbian authors and books featuring lesbian characters.

Here's a few authors that probably are lesbian, though I'm not 100% positive about all of them: Kirsty Logan, Catherynne Valente, Caitlin Kiernan, Foz Meadows, Malinda Lo, NK Jemisin, Severna Park, Jan Morris, Ellen Klages, Tenea Johnson, Chris Moriarty

And some authors who write primarily mainstream but who have a couple titles on WWEnd -Sarah Waters, Ali Smith, Jeanette Winterson, Emma Donoghue.

And one boy for the list - Scott Wilbanks.

EDITED to correct - Jan Morris is trans, not lesbian.

Great list! This was awesomely helpful!

FYI, in a quick internet search I could not confirm Ellen Klages, Tenea Johnson, Chris Moriarty, or Scott Wilbanks. I was able to determine that they had written LGBTQ+ fiction, but not that they themselves identified on the spectrum. If this can be determined by someone for sure, please let me know!

Also, can't believe I almost forgot Nalo Hopkinson. My Canadian pride should have advanced her name right away!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-20 1:42 PM (#15338 - in reply to #15334)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Rhondak101 - 2017-02-20 9:55 AM

Also Raphael Carter--I just finished Fortunate Fall.

Perfect! Thank you!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-20 1:46 PM (#15339 - in reply to #15338)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Okay, here's the list so far: https://dianemorrison.wordpress.com/diversity-in-sff/
dalex
Posted 2017-02-20 2:42 PM (#15342 - in reply to #15337)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Sable Aradia - 2017-02-20 2:38 PM  Great list! This was awesomely helpful! FYI, in a quick internet search I could not confirm Ellen Klages, Tenea Johnson, Chris Moriarty, or Scott Wilbanks. I was able to determine that they had written LGBTQ+ fiction, but not that they themselves identified on the spectrum. If this can be determined by someone for sure, please let me know!  

From Scott Wilbanks bio here on WWEnd:  "Scott is an American expat living in New Zealand with his frustratingly perfect husband."

I recently read Smoketown by Tenea Johnson and I'm pretty sure there was something in the author info that led me to believe she is a lesbian.  I could be quite wrong about that, however.  Regarding Klages and Moriarty....I don't recall what I read or where that led me that conclusion, so again, I could be incorrect but I'll do some research.  

Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-02-23 2:23 PM (#15347 - in reply to #15342)
Quote Reply

Veteran

dalex - 2017-02-20 12:42 PM

From Scott Wilbanks bio here on WWEnd: "Scott is an American expat living in New Zealand with his frustratingly perfect husband."

That counts! Okay, he's in.
Weesam
Posted 2017-03-05 5:22 PM (#15417 - in reply to #14880)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yoon Ha Lee is a Trans Man. Easy enough to find articles where he talks about being trans.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)