open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: And you and I have good enough minds to know how very limited and finite they really are. The naked intellect is an extraordinarily inaccurate instrument. - Madeleine L'Engle (A Wind in the Door)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Punk's Not Dead 2017
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

devilinlaw
Posted 2017-03-09 4:58 PM (#15436)
Subject: Punk's Not Dead 2017
Quote Reply

Veteran

hi, guys! i'm a little late getting this thread started but please share a few words about the cyberpunk, splatterpunk and steampunk novels that you have read as part of this challenge. thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dalex
Posted 2017-03-12 10:05 AM (#15441 - in reply to #15436)
Subject: Re: Punk's Not Dead 2017
Quote Reply

Veteran

I've read one book for this challenge so far - Lethe by Tricia Sullivan. It's a cyberpunk book - very well written and intriguing story concept. It's the author's debut novel and nowhere near a s good as her most recent publication (Occupy Me) but still quite good. I have several other cyberpunk books on my list for this challenge.

I had trouble choosing steampunk titles. I like the idea of steampunk but so many of the books in the genre are in the vein of "detectives solve crime + romance" which is very not my thing. I did find some books that are generally considered steampunk but are different than the usual - Everfair, The Music of Razors, The Engine's Child. I'm very curious to read those and discover the authors interpretation of steampunk.

I also included Radiance by Cathrynne Valente, which is described as decopunk. I've read some of Valente's short stories and am hoping the novel is just as awesome.

I'm having fun with this challenge and hope everyone else is also. Good luck with your reading everyone!
devilinlaw
Posted 2017-04-03 1:18 PM (#15540 - in reply to #15436)
Quote Reply

Veteran

i've read The Scar by China Mieville for my first book of this challenge. The Scar is the second book in Mieville's New Crobuzon/Bas Lag series. I loved the world created in the first book & was really excited to go back to revisit it but was disappointed this entry. i'm not not sure if it's because the book wasn't what i was wanting, that it went off in another direction that i wasn't really expecting or what. It's not a bad book by any means but i will have to reread it in the future to reevaluate.
dalex
Posted 2017-12-27 7:42 AM (#16575 - in reply to #15436)
Quote Reply

Veteran

For the Punk?s Not Dead Reading Challenge, I read three steampunk books and three cyberpunk books.

SP The Engine?s Child by Holly Phillips (5 Stars)
CP Lethe by Tricia Sullivan (4 Stars)
CP Dreaming in Smoke by Tricia Sullivan (3 Stars)
CP Maul by Tricia Sullivan (3 Stars)
SP Everfair by Nisi Shawl (3 Stars)
SP The Razor?s Edge by Cameron Rogers (2 Stars)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)