open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A lot of the people who read a bestselling novel, for example, do not read much other fiction. By contrast, the audience for an obscure novel is largely composed of people who read a lot. That means the least popular books are judged by people who have the highest standards, while the most popular are judged by people who literally do not know any better. " -- The Economist
- (Added by: Acknud)

High Fantasy Reading Challenge 2017
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-10-02 1:29 PM (#16320)
Subject: High Fantasy Reading Challenge 2017
Quote Reply

Veteran

In the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the time of the daughters and sons of Tolkien, great and heroic deeds were dared by brave souls willing to risk life and limb. They faced the greatest of perils; dragons, magic, saddlesores, politics and war. They fought for Crowns, Gods, or their own profit or survival; all became legends. Thus the tales of the Great Bards come down to us and thus we take up the torch of High Fantasy!

Verily, the rules:

* Read up to twelve books of High Fantasy, Mythic Fiction, or Heroic Fantasy between October of 2017 and September of 2017. Use your discretion (A Song of Ice and Fire, for instance, has been entered as everything from Low Fantasy to High Fantasy. I'm reading it for the challenge so obviously I consider it applicable.)

* Sword and Sorcery may also apply; again use your discretion.

* Fantasy only; no science fiction (and therefore, as much as it looks like fantasy, the Dragonriders of Pern do not count.)

* Science fantasy might be allowable as long as it is more fantasy than sci-fi (so Star Wars before the midichlorians nonsense might be acceptable but Star Trek is out).

* Video game and RPG tie ins are perfectly fine as long as the "feel" of the story is of High Fantasy (so Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance yes; Dark Sun and Eberron no.)

* Romance and sex are perfectly fine, but if they're the focus of the plot, it's out (so I'm nixing anything that looks at all like Paranormal Romance and the Gor novels).

* No re-reads.

* In the spirit of the great bards of the past, try to do as many reviews as possible.

Sally forth! Remember, all men must die!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Weesam
Posted 2017-10-02 1:55 PM (#16321 - in reply to #16320)
Subject: Re: High Fantasy Reading Challenge 2017
Quote Reply

Uber User

I know your rules meant to say between October of 2017 and September of 2018, but what it actually says makes me think we should be reading time travel books instead of high fantasy!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2017-10-02 2:15 PM (#16322 - in reply to #16321)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Weesam - 2017-10-02 11:55 AM

I know your rules meant to say between October of 2017 and September of 2018, but what it actually says makes me think we should be reading time travel books instead of high fantasy!

Ha ha ha! Thank you, I fixed it!

(Did anybody notice the embarrassed emoticon hasn't been working for months, btw?)

Edited by Sable Aradia 2017-10-02 2:17 PM
jontlaw
Posted 2018-04-27 10:19 PM (#16994 - in reply to #16320)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Finally got myself going on this. Two down, ten to go!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)