open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices. -- William James
- (Added by: gallyangel)

2018 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

spoltz
Posted 2018-01-02 1:10 PM (#16632)
Subject: 2018 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction
Quote Reply

Uber User

Hi everyone!

This is the forum for the LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Reading Challenge. We already have 10 folks in the challenge. It's good to see some familiar faces and some new folks as well.

Remember that you can find books that won or were nominated for Lambda Literary and Gaylactic Spectrum awards in the WWE LGBTQ Speculative Fiction Resource here https://www.worldswithoutend.com/lists_LGBTQSF.asp . Also, Sable Aradia compiled a list of LGBTQIA authors on her blog which can be found here https://dianemorrison.wordpress.com/diversity-in-sff/

Edited by spoltz 2018-01-02 1:12 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dalex
Posted 2018-01-11 10:32 AM (#16713 - in reply to #16632)
Subject: Re: 2018 LGBTQ Speculative Fiction
Quote Reply

Veteran

My first book for this challenge was An Unkindness of Ghosts. It was so so so good....my first 5 Star book for the year. The author is LGBTQ+ and there is a lot in the book about gender, sexual identity, etc. I highly recommend it!
Sable Aradia
Posted 2018-01-20 2:26 PM (#16738 - in reply to #16632)
Quote Reply

Veteran

I fell down on the job last year due to my writing schedule. This year I'm going to read all the CJ Cherryh I didn't read last year.

Reminder to new folks; in my signature is a URL where I've compiled a list of LGBTQ+ SFF authors which we have researched as meticulously as possible, in case you're looking to expand your options! I love this challenge. It's important to me as an LGBTQ person.
dalex
Posted 2018-01-27 4:41 AM (#16773 - in reply to #16632)
Quote Reply

Veteran

A name to add to the LGBTQ+ list - S.L. Huang. Her previously self-published series Russell's Attic has been acquired by Tor with the publication of the first book scheduled for September. She identifies herself as a lesbian in this article - http://www.jimchines.com/2015/02/nobodys-sidekick-huang/
Groovy Acolyte
Posted 2018-01-28 3:20 PM (#16788 - in reply to #16738)
Quote Reply

New User

Another to add is Stacey Berg. Her author bio states that she lives with her wife: http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book-author/stacey-berg/

Although the protagonist in her Echo Hunter 367 novels doesn't call herself lesbian or bi or queer (probably because it's such a non-issue in this particular dystopia) she does have relationships with other women. I mention it In case someone was looking for a novel with an LGBTQ+ character as well as author.
dalex
Posted 2018-01-29 5:01 AM (#16795 - in reply to #16788)
Quote Reply

Veteran

Groovy Acolyte - 2018-01-28 4:20 PM Another to add is Stacey Berg. Her author bio states that she lives with her wife: http://www.harpervoyagerbooks.com/book-author/stacey-berg/ Although the protagonist in her Echo Hunter 367 novels doesn't call herself lesbian or bi or queer (probably because it's such a non-issue in this particular dystopia) she does have relationships with other women. I mention it In case someone was looking for a novel with an LGBTQ+ character as well as author.

Thanks for the suggestion! I've added it to my reading list. I'd never heard of the author or the series.

dalex
Posted 2018-01-31 4:06 AM (#16801 - in reply to #16632)
Quote Reply

Veteran

And another one - Emily Carroll, author of the graphic novel Into the Woods. According to her bio, "She lives in Stratford with her wife, Kate Craig, and their very large cat."
dalex
Posted 2018-03-29 9:48 AM (#16964 - in reply to #16632)
Quote Reply

Veteran

A couple more for the list:

Louise Welsh (lesbian)
J.Y. Yang (non-binary)
Alex Wells (non-binary)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :