open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The silence of the world could not rein back it's greed. Not any longer. Not when it had virtually won. - Philip K. Dick (Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Help
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

richardlacey12
Posted 2018-03-27 3:45 AM (#16960)
Subject: Help

New User

I'm struggling to remember the name/author of a sci fi story I read as a teenager which puts it at pre mid 1970s. I can't even recall if it was a book of its own or a short story but if it was the latter it was a pretty long one.

The story starts when a person who had died and been cryogenically stored is restored to life many years in the future as his case of death is now readily curable. He finds a world in which the vast mass of ill-educated people had effectively enslaved the, relatively small group of intelligent people by weight of numbers so that they were required to build lots of things for the amusement of the proles such as cars which appeared to be travelling much faster than they really are.

Th intelligentsia get together to see what can be done about this and our re-born man from the past, who had been an advertising executive, comes up with a plan to advertise holidays on Mars which, unknown to the holiday makers, has a one-way ticket as they are just fired off into space to die. The ultimate in population control. I can't remember how it finishes.

I know this is a really lame request but can anyone assist? I am fairly sure it was a well known writer of the time

Cheers

Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2018-04-01 10:33 AM (#16968 - in reply to #16960)
Subject: Re: Help

Uber User

It's called the Marching Morons by C. M. Kornbluth and it's Venus not Mars. In the end Barlow (the sleeper) is tricked by the elite and put on a rocket to Venus.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)