open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: In the case of romances what I found distressing was not so much that they are read only by women, but that these are the books containing the sentences that most rapidy make me want to vomit. - Nomi Szcsi (The Finno-Ugrian Vampire)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Fixing categorisation of non-binary authors
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Comments & SuggestionsMessage format

Arifel
Posted 2018-08-03 5:23 PM (#17173)
Subject: Fixing categorisation of non-binary authors

Regular

Very excited that the site seems to be fully accessible again, without the constant errors!

I've recently noticed there are several non-binary authors who are nevertheless included in the "Woman authors" section of the site. From a quick scan, JY Yang, Rivers Solomon, Rose Lemberg, An Owomoyela and S. Qiouyi Lu all came up on my "authors I've read" section alone; all are people who I'd be confident in suggesting would not want to be included on a "women writers" list.

I strongly hope that WWE can remove the authors above ASAP from the "women authors" page by whatever means necessary, and I'm happy to spend more time searching for others I know shouldn't be on there, although obviously my knowledge is limited and fallible. I'd also strongly recommend whatever gender data is collected on authors includes non-binary options if it doesn't already (this isn't visible from the user end).

I recognise that the volunteers who work so hard to run this site can't be everywhere at all times, but this is an important thing to get right, and I'm willing to help with the work to minimise the issue going forward, if my time can be of any use on this issue.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2018-08-04 11:10 AM (#17175 - in reply to #17173)
Subject: RE: Fixing categorisation of non-binary authors

Admin

Arifel - 2018-08-03 5:23 PM Very excited that the site seems to be fully accessible again, without the constant errors! I've recently noticed there are several non-binary authors who are nevertheless included in the "Woman authors" section of the site. From a quick scan, JY Yang, Rivers Solomon, Rose Lemberg, An Owomoyela and S. Qiouyi Lu all came up on my "authors I've read" section alone; all are people who I'd be confident in suggesting would not want to be included on a "women writers" list. I strongly hope that WWE can remove the authors above ASAP from the "women authors" page by whatever means necessary, and I'm happy to spend more time searching for others I know shouldn't be on there, although obviously my knowledge is limited and fallible. I'd also strongly recommend whatever gender data is collected on authors includes non-binary options if it doesn't already (this isn't visible from the user end). I recognise that the volunteers who work so hard to run this site can't be everywhere at all times, but this is an important thing to get right, and I'm willing to help with the work to minimise the issue going forward, if my time can be of any use on this issue.

Thanks for pointing out those authors that need to be removed from the women author's list.  If you don't mind the undertaking we would greatly appreciate it if you could look through the list and see what other authors should be taken out.  We'll use your list to un-flag them as women and take them off the list as an immediate fix.

Going forward we'll have to add a non-binary category to our gender flag so that can be selected, if known, at the time they go into our database.  There is always the possibility that we'll still not know their preference and get it wrong but at least we can make it less likely.

There are a bunch of other bits of code that will have to be adjusted along with that so it will take a bit of time to sort through those things before we update the site.  Like what about members who have selected those non-binary authors for their Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge already?  Also we have male and female placeholder images that we'll have to replace with a generic non-gendered silhouette.

I will post updates here as we get to them.

Arifel
Posted 2018-08-04 11:59 AM (#17176 - in reply to #17173)

Regular

Thanks very much for the response. Yes, I'm happy to work through the list, though it will take me some time to get through. I will keep the updates here so there's an open record of what's being flagged for change and others can weigh in if there's anything I've overlooked or got wrong (as there inevitably will be).

My inbox is also open if anyone wants to raise something with me privately.

A couple more I noted after my original post:

- Foz Meadows (genderqueer)
- Poppy Z Brite (male)
- Emily Foster (I'm not sure on this one. The photo is definitely of the wrong author, and <a xhref="https://www.tor.com/2016/12/14/tor-com-publishings-fiction-from-2016/">this</a> confirms the author in the database now goes by a different name. However, I can't find any information on the author beyond what's on tor.com, which doesn't state how they currently identify. Their novella is still published under "Emily Foster" so I'm not sure you could change the author name without creating confusion and making that work more difficult to search for - but on balance of evidence I'd also recommend removing from "women authors".)

Administrator
Posted 2018-08-07 1:39 AM (#17185 - in reply to #17176)

Admin

Arifel - 2018-08-04 11:59 AM

Thanks very much for the response. Yes, I'm happy to work through the list, though it will take me some time to get through. I will keep the updates here so there's an open record of what's being flagged for change and others can weigh in if there's anything I've overlooked or got wrong (as there inevitably will be).

My inbox is also open if anyone wants to raise something with me privately.

A couple more I noted after my original post:

- Foz Meadows (genderqueer)
- Poppy Z Brite (male)
- Emily Foster (I'm not sure on this one. The photo is definitely of the wrong author, and this confirms the author in the database now goes by a different name. However, I can't find any information on the author beyond what's on tor.com, which doesn't state how they currently identify. Their novella is still published under "Emily Foster" so I'm not sure you could change the author name without creating confusion and making that work more difficult to search for - but on balance of evidence I'd also recommend removing from "women authors".)

So first steps taken. Removed the following from the Women Authors list:

• 5192 JY Yang
  • 5637 Rivers Solomon
  • 4254 Rose Lemberg
  • 4880 An Owomoyela
  • 5414 S. Qiouyi Lu
  • 4490 Foz Meadows
  • 912 Poppy Z. Bite

For Emily Foster I changed the picture to the default female silhouette (we still haven't changed the code to anything else) but left her as female until we can get some clarity on her situation.  What we'll do is make Emily a pen name record and add a Lee record and link them together but we'll need their details for the new record first if you want to chase that down.  I could not find anything. Thoughts?

To get them off the list I changed their gender flag from F to N for non-binary directly in the database.  We'll code for N on the author edit page so that we can go back and adjust any other authors we find/add.

Arifel
Posted 2018-08-12 10:44 AM (#17194 - in reply to #17173)
Subject: Re: Fixing categorisation of non-binary authors

Regular

It's been tricky this week to find the time for this, sorry! No more categorisation changes to suggest among the authors I've been through. I think Benjanun Sridaungkaew's photo is incorrect? To my knowledge, the author doesn't have any publicly available photos.

I've started on the authors I haven't read, which is taking longer for obvious reasons - I'm still on the As! Will continue to update with my progress as it happens.
Weesam
Posted 2018-08-14 7:01 PM (#17195 - in reply to #17194)

Uber User

Arifel - 2018-08-13 3:44 AM

I think Benjanun Sridaungkaew's photo is incorrect? To my knowledge, the author doesn't have any publicly available photos.

You are correct. I believe the photo is Charlotte Ashley, who wrote an article that included information about Benjanun Sridaungkaew.
Arifel
Posted 2018-08-25 1:26 PM (#17251 - in reply to #17195)

Regular

Still slowly working on this. A couple more:

Sarah Gailey
Margaret Killjoy (not in the list of women, but identifies as genderqueer so should have an N flag if they don't already)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)