open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "A book exists at the intersection of the author's subconscious and the reader's response." - William Gibson, Distrust That Particular Flavor
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

Sticky Unable to access site...now problems
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2019-05-22 3:55 PM (#20829 - in reply to #20828)
Subject: Re: Unable to access site...now problems

Admin

Real life bulldrek keeps getting in the way but we're getting closer. We're ready to transfer the site to our new host service then we'll load the data from the last backup we have. Can't offer a date or anything specific but it should be soon-ish. Crossed fingers and patience are still required.

We have been fixing a bunch of stuff around the site in the mean time so not all wasted time though it feels like it a bit.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dlw28
Posted 2019-05-23 7:36 PM (#20830 - in reply to #20819)

Extreme Veteran

Crossing fingers with you!
mgkurilla
Posted 2019-05-23 7:57 PM (#20831 - in reply to #20829)

Regular

When you say "last back we have" is this the same as the backup you put up that went through March or is there a more recent one such that if we add read books, they will be included in the transfer?

I can understand not wanting to deal with new additions to the database, but what about users' updates to book tracker?

Good luck with the transfer; let's hope you new host is better prepared.
Rhondak101
Posted 2019-05-24 8:27 AM (#20832 - in reply to #20786)

Uber User

Mgkurilla, In my understanding the reboot will take WWEnd back to March, so any book additions, book tracking, member book reviews, or changes to challenges occurring after that March backup was created will be lost.
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-03 4:58 PM (#20835 - in reply to #20832)

Admin

Hello again everyone. The site has been down again from a database issue with our craptastic host service. This time almost exactly a week. Sheesh.

The good news is that we have our new host and site setup in hand and we've just been waiting on the A2 AHoles to fix our data so we can transfer it to the new host. We'll kick that off as soon as Chris gets home from work so he can monitor and test. Once that is done we'll flip the switch to the new host. Which will take the site down yet again but only for a few hours.

It is our hope that this will be the last of the outages and we can begin the long road to recovery for all that lost data. Going to be a busy week for me getting that sorted. More news as we have it. Thanks as always for your patience and all the good wishes we got from friends of WWEnd via email and text etc. Ya'll rock!

rretzler
Posted 2019-06-03 7:46 PM (#20837 - in reply to #20819)

Crossing my fingers that it all goes well!
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-06 10:26 AM (#20839 - in reply to #20837)

Admin

Finally have some good solid news. The site is set up on the new host in a Virtual Private Network that should speed things up a bit. Friday night we will shut down the forum and the site will go down for a few hours while we make the final transfer of the data over to the new host.

By Saturday morning we should be up and running again on the new host and we can put this sorry period behind us and begin the real work of repairing the lost data. Wish us luck!

kristibpatterson
Posted 2019-06-06 10:33 AM (#20840 - in reply to #20839)

Thanks for all your hard work. Best of luck on a smooth end to this adventure.
Weesam
Posted 2019-06-06 7:16 PM (#20841 - in reply to #20839)

Uber User

Yah! Good luck.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2019-06-08 9:09 AM (#20845 - in reply to #20841)

Uber User

So, are we back or what?
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-08 10:07 AM (#20846 - in reply to #20845)

Admin

Not yet. We discovered an upgrade opportunity that will make the site run a little faster so we are waiting on a software install. It may be this morning but we may have to wait until Monday. It’s better to do it now than take the site down again next week. Should be worth the wait. We appreciate your continued patience. More info here when I get it. 
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-08 9:15 PM (#20848 - in reply to #20786)

Admin

Good news! We got the upgrade finished today so we?re lined up to make the switch tomorrow afternoon. Plan is to kick off around 2pm.
Adele1967
Posted 2019-06-09 8:07 AM (#20849 - in reply to #20786)

Excellent! Thanks for all the updates.
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-10 11:13 AM (#20850 - in reply to #20849)

Admin

We are back up and live again on our new host!

That means we can start inputting new data again without fear of loss. If you've been holding back on tagging books or submitting reviews etc. you can get back to business as usual. That includes new book requests etc.

There is a bit of cleanup to do on the site. It looks like some of the updates I did some weeks ago are not showing on the new site so I'll have to check the CSS and work out what's missing. Unfortunately we had a big storm roll through Dallas on Sunday and I am without power at home. It's like the universe wants to thwart me at every turn. When I get power back on I'll start those fixes.

Please let us know here in this thread if you run into any problems. I guess we might as well start an errors list here too.

valashain
Posted 2019-06-10 1:42 PM (#20851 - in reply to #20850)

Uber User

Is this all the data we're going to get back Dave? I think there are about a thousand record numbers missing. If that is correct it is going to take me a while get back to where we were.
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-10 2:22 PM (#20853 - in reply to #20851)

Admin

valashain - 2019-06-10 1:42 PM Is this all the data we're going to get back Dave? I think there are about a thousand record numbers missing. If that is correct it is going to take me a while get back to where we were.

Yeah, that's all we've got, unfortunately. It's going to take a long time for sure but at least we still have all the book covers and author pics etc. That will help a bit. We should probably open up a discussion in the Uber thread about coordinating efforts etc. I know some other Ubers have started missing content lists already. I'd hate to duplicate any records in our haste to get back to normal.

valashain
Posted 2019-06-10 3:09 PM (#20854 - in reply to #20853)

Uber User

Hmm, near as I can tell it is some 400 pieces of short fiction and another couple of hundred associated collections and anthologies. I'm considering just finding a convenient exit and just not letting that go. Recreating it would be a godawful lot of work and there doesn't seem to be all that much enthusiasm for it. Or willingness to actually add short fiction in meaningful quantities for that matter.
Administrator
Posted 2019-06-10 3:33 PM (#20855 - in reply to #20854)

Admin

valashain - 2019-06-10 3:09 PM Hmm, near as I can tell it is some 400 pieces of short fiction and another couple of hundred associated collections and anthologies. I'm considering just finding a convenient exit and just not letting that go. Recreating it would be a godawful lot of work and there doesn't seem to be all that much enthusiasm for it. Or willingness to actually add short fiction in meaningful quantities for that matter.

It really is a ton of work and I understand your reluctance to take it on again. I'll help you with that as much as I can and I'm sure we can find some other Ubers who'd be willing to pitch in too. No reason you'd have to do it all by yourself the second time around. Maybe parcel it out into lists of 100 missing shorts to any volunteers? I'll certainly take up the challenge.

I have a lot of enthusiasm for the shorts you've been putting in and I think others will get more enthused when the new site goes up. The treatment for short fiction is much nicer in 3.0 and we have all those short categories to add to the awards to look forward to. I'm looking forward to more short fiction reading challenges and the like as we get deeper in those categories.

The other thing to keep in mind is that we have discouraged folks from requesting short fiction so your project was the only real source of shorts going in. I always looked at your project as setting up a nice foundation of the top short fiction that we would build on more actively once 3.0 launches.

illegible_scribble
Posted 2019-06-10 3:43 PM (#20857 - in reply to #20786)

Uber User

I've got a list of many of the missing books, but not most of the short fiction. Give me a bit and I'll get that posted.

valashain
Posted 2019-06-10 3:44 PM (#20858 - in reply to #20857)

Uber User

The short fiction is easy to trace for me. I have most of it in a spreadsheet.
Naomi_uk72
Posted 2019-06-11 10:06 AM (#20860 - in reply to #20858)

Veteran

Hi there

Just popping by to say a big thank you and well done to all involved for getting the site through the recent problems. Hopefully with the new hosts this will be the beginning of a grand new era for WWE. :-)

Naomi
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)