open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Back Awards
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

ethawyn
Posted 2008-11-28 10:16 PM (#1507)
Subject: Back Awards

New User

First of all, let me say that you guys have a great set up here. I've been looking for something like this for a long time. I just wanted to ask about the Hugo's retro awards. They gave a few back awards for the years they missed, including Fahrenheit 451, and I've noticed that these don't appear on the site. I would love to see them put up. Thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2008-11-29 2:31 AM (#1508 - in reply to #1507)
Subject: Re: Back Awards

Admin

Hey ethawn,
Thanks very much! Glad you like the site. Welcome aboard!

We've discussed adding the Retro Hugos at some length and decided against it. Our conjecture is that the awards are a product of their times and can't fairly be measured with the benefit of hindsight. Choosing a winner 50 years after publication takes a book completely out of the context of the times in which it was written and diminishes the historical significance of the listing.

The Retros highlight some great books that deserve attention but we don't think they belong with the Official Hugo selections. We'll eventually end up with all the Retros as we build our database though, so don't despair!

- Dave
ethawyn
Posted 2008-11-29 7:32 PM (#1509 - in reply to #1507)
Subject: Re: Back Awards

New User

Alright, thanks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)