open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The path of life can narrow until only one option out of the myriad of possibilities exists. An entire race can hinge at such a moment." - Glenn Hough (970 A.D.S.)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Our reads in September 2021
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2021-08-31 4:08 PM (#23384)
Subject: Our reads in September 2021

Elite Veteran

Dusty's TBR for September
SF/F reads
Alastair Reynolds - Pushing Ice
Yevgeny Zamyatin - We
William Gibson - Count Zero
Jack Williamson - Legion of Time
Seabury Quinn - Devil's Bride
Kelley Armstrong - The Gathering R
Michael Crichton - Andromeda Strain R
John Wyndham - Trouble With Lichen R
(R=rereads)

from other genres
Noel Streatfeild - Curtain Up
Virginia Woolf - Orlando
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2021-08-31 7:01 PM (#23391 - in reply to #23384)
Subject: Re: Our reads in September 2021

Extreme Veteran

Wow. Can't believe it is September already. May it go quickly with no more hurricanes!

I have started and hope to finish
The Ministry For the Future - Kim Stanley Robinson
Billy Summers - Stephen King

I also plan to read
Hummingbird Salamander - Jeff Vandermeer
The Human - Neal Asher
Catalyst Gate - Megan E. O'Keefe
Idylls of the King - Alfred Lord Tennyson
spoltz
Posted 2021-09-01 7:34 AM (#23395 - in reply to #23391)

Uber User

I've begun this month reading Mockingbird by Walter Tevis for book club. I also plan to read:
The New Moon's Arms - Nalo Hopkinson
The Rosewater Redemption - Tade Thompson

Then I'll be randomly selecting other books on my TBR pile in my tablet.

I also started participating in a D&D campaign that meets every other Sunday. We met last Sunday and it was quite fun. I'm a Elven Warlock, hehe.
dustydigger
Posted 2021-09-25 1:29 PM (#23422 - in reply to #23384)

Elite Veteran

Managed very little of my TBR this month.Lots of real life health issues,plus no less than seven family birthdays etc.
Also I have been searching out reads for my Spooky October reads,including some weird fiction short stories. Unfortunately all too often I found some great story and a quick check ended up my reading the whole thing! lol.
I did finish Virginia Woolf's Orlando,liked it a lot.
Also Flannery O'Connor's A Good Man is Hard to Find.Southern Gothic,but pretty close to horror in my opinion.
And some very lurid melodramatic pure pulp,Seabury Quinn's The Devil's Bride. I was amazed at just how brutal and hair raising pulp could be in the 1930s magazine world. a crucified nun,a child who is blinded,tongue cut out,hands cut off by the satanist kidnappers just to prevent there being a witness to their kidnap of a woman who they want to wed to an evil priest of Lucifer,a black mass with a nude woman as the altar,babies stolen to be sacrificed to Satan,a woman branded,poisonings,torture,rape and an awful lot more packed into less than 200 pages. Phew!. Lurid melodrama,corny dialogue,brutality and shocks all the way. Pulp horror without any faltering.I never realized just how raw such stuff could be. Interesting.And actually rather fun!
I am still struggling through Evgeny Zamyatin's We. Loved the first half,sharp satire and humour learning about this highly regimented dystopian world,but it has got much darker later in the book,and I know bad things are to come,but fortunately the characters are rather thin and not likable ,but I am barely reading 10 pages a day,still 70 pages left to read.I do see why Orwell was so struck by the book,which heavily influenced 1984,but its sure a hard read.Determined to finish it by end of September.
daxxh
Posted 2021-09-27 9:02 PM (#23425 - in reply to #23422)

Extreme Veteran

I read a lot of non-scifi this month so my September list for this site is shorter than it usually is.

Billy Summers - Stephen King. Not really horror, sci-fi or fantasy. Meh.

The Dweller in the Gulf - Clarke Ashton Smith. Short story that takes place on Mars. A good, creepy story. Thanks, Dusty - read this after reading your comments.

The Butcher of Anderson Station, Gods of Risk, The Churn - Expanse novellas by James SA Corey. These are good. Have the other two I haven't read on top of the TBR pile. Now to read the novels...

Hummingbird Salamander - Jeff VanderMeer. Very good.

Light Chaser - novella by Peter F. Hamilton and Gareth L. Powell. Very good.

New York 2140 - Kim Stanley Robinson. Very Good.

I started The Ministry For the Future, but it had to go back to the library. Not sure when I will get it back.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)